SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   ? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/95055-sail-lake-erie-florida-late-august.html)

OffWeGo 12-18-2012 03:45 PM

? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August

Would it be reasonable to think one could depart late August and sail to Florida leaving Port Dover, Ontario, Lake Erie to Florida coast. I hope this isn't too broad of a question.

Frogwatch 12-18-2012 05:00 PM

Re: ? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August

You'll die of heatstroke and find more water in the air than under your keel in August.

gts1544 12-18-2012 05:24 PM

OffWeGo, Bear in mind that the Caribbean hurricane season is June through November, with August / September being the height of the season. Some of those hurricanes come roaring right up the US Atlantic coast, ie; Sandy most recently. Were I contemplating your trip, I would never be far from a good "hurricane hole", not too mention the heat and humidity!

OffWeGo 12-18-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks for your replies. When would a recommended time be to take this trip. Our definite plan is to make this sail and it will be the beginning of our move aboard and set sail for an indifinite time. We are just in the preliminary planning stages, so any advise is appreciated.

misfits 12-18-2012 06:33 PM

I've never done a trip like this but I think leaving in August wouldn't be a hardship :)

Take your time, get down to the Chessie & hang out until October. Move on from there weather permitting.

OffWeGo 12-18-2012 09:00 PM

Thank you misfits, I like your suggestion. I also learnt something new... "Chessie is a legendary sea monster said to live in the midst of the Chesapeake Bay. Wonder if he/she is a eastern cousin of Ogopogo that we have been familiar with for years in the Okanagan. So now I know that we could start our plan with finding our way to Chesapeake Bay, and keep our sights for another legendary water serpentine. Sounds like fun.

killarney_sailor 12-19-2012 02:20 AM

You don't mention the kind of boat or your experience level, but be aware that there are three ways you could go.
1. To Chicago and down the Mississippi
2. Through the Erie Canal down the Hudson to New York and south
3. Down the St Lawrence turn right and go south - time in Newfoundland highly recommended.

I have't done #1 and can't comment on schedule or attractiveness of this route. For the other two routes the prevailing wisdom is that going to the Annapolis boat show in early October makes sense. Your insurance coverage may not allow you to be south of a given point (varies, but could be Hatteras or Norfolk) before Nov 1 or with some companies Nov 15,so it works well.

The EC route is much shorter and much easier and quite pleasant. You only need to be in the open ocean from NYC to Cape May which is an easy overnight. The end of August would work fine for this route.

The St Lawrence route is much longer and more challenging and you need to be sel-sufficient, but it gives access to some wonderful cruising grounds. We are 3/4 of the way through a circumnavigation and have not seen anything as spectacular as the south coast of Newfoundland - incredible scenery, whiles, ice bergs, even part of France to visit. Because of distance and weather you would have to leave earlier, perhaps late June.

In either case you would have to keep an eye out for hurricanes from late June onward. Let me know if you have other questions.

mdi 12-19-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gts1544 (Post 963679)
OffWeGo, Bear in mind that the Caribbean hurricane season is June through November, with August / September being the height of the season. Some of those hurricanes come roaring right up the US Atlantic coast, ie; Sandy most recently. Were I contemplating your trip, I would never be far from a good "hurricane hole", not too mention the heat and humidity!

Being from Louisiana, heat and humidity would be non issues for me, provided I had a bimini and fans :D. However everything else I would take very seriously ;)

OffWeGo 12-19-2012 09:41 AM

Thank you Killarney Sailor and md1. Our boat is a 1984 C and C Landfall, she's new to us, though we have sailed her, and she is solid and sails well. This is going to be a new experience for both of us. DH grew up sailing, and I have confidence in his skills, My skills are presently limited to being a good listener and doer. Originally we had planned to go the #3 route, and if we decide on that, we will likely just sail to Lake Ontario and then put her on land for the winter. We are anxious to start our new way of life (retirement onboard) and have a lot to learn and research.

Vasco 12-19-2012 10:05 AM

Don't let the naysayers discourage you. I've done the trip many times but starting at Labour day. Late August or early September is fine. Take your time and stay in the Chesapeake till mid-October. I've been fortunate as far as hurricanes go. Ran into the remnants of Floyd in the Hudson but this was manageable and your chances for a trouble free trip weatherwise are fairly good. Lots of time to find shelter if required.

The easiest route is through the NY State Canal system. Enter at Buffalo. A delightful trip.