Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012

OffWeGo is on a distinguished road
? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August

Would it be reasonable to think one could depart late August and sail to Florida leaving Port Dover, Ontario, Lake Erie to Florida coast. I hope this isn't too broad of a question.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: ? Sail from Lake Erie to Florida late August

You'll die of heatstroke and find more water in the air than under your keel in August.
Old 12-18-2012
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

OffWeGo, Bear in mind that the Caribbean hurricane season is June through November, with August / September being the height of the season. Some of those hurricanes come roaring right up the US Atlantic coast, ie; Sandy most recently. Were I contemplating your trip, I would never be far from a good "hurricane hole", not too mention the heat and humidity!
Old 12-18-2012

Thanks for your replies. When would a recommended time be to take this trip. Our definite plan is to make this sail and it will be the beginning of our move aboard and set sail for an indifinite time. We are just in the preliminary planning stages, so any advise is appreciated.
Old 12-18-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

I've never done a trip like this but I think leaving in August wouldn't be a hardship

Take your time, get down to the Chessie & hang out until October. Move on from there weather permitting.
Old 12-18-2012

Thank you misfits, I like your suggestion. I also learnt something new... "Chessie is a legendary sea monster said to live in the midst of the Chesapeake Bay. Wonder if he/she is a eastern cousin of Ogopogo that we have been familiar with for years in the Okanagan. So now I know that we could start our plan with finding our way to Chesapeake Bay, and keep our sights for another legendary water serpentine. Sounds like fun.
Old 12-19-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

You don't mention the kind of boat or your experience level, but be aware that there are three ways you could go.
1. To Chicago and down the Mississippi
2. Through the Erie Canal down the Hudson to New York and south
3. Down the St Lawrence turn right and go south - time in Newfoundland highly recommended.

I have't done #1 and can't comment on schedule or attractiveness of this route. For the other two routes the prevailing wisdom is that going to the Annapolis boat show in early October makes sense. Your insurance coverage may not allow you to be south of a given point (varies, but could be Hatteras or Norfolk) before Nov 1 or with some companies Nov 15,so it works well.

The EC route is much shorter and much easier and quite pleasant. You only need to be in the open ocean from NYC to Cape May which is an easy overnight. The end of August would work fine for this route.

The St Lawrence route is much longer and more challenging and you need to be sel-sufficient, but it gives access to some wonderful cruising grounds. We are 3/4 of the way through a circumnavigation and have not seen anything as spectacular as the south coast of Newfoundland - incredible scenery, whiles, ice bergs, even part of France to visit. Because of distance and weather you would have to leave earlier, perhaps late June.

In either case you would have to keep an eye out for hurricanes from late June onward. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 12-19-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
OffWeGo, Bear in mind that the Caribbean hurricane season is June through November, with August / September being the height of the season. Some of those hurricanes come roaring right up the US Atlantic coast, ie; Sandy most recently. Were I contemplating your trip, I would never be far from a good "hurricane hole", not too mention the heat and humidity!
Being from Louisiana, heat and humidity would be non issues for me, provided I had a bimini and fans . However everything else I would take very seriously

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdi; 12-19-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2012

Thank you Killarney Sailor and md1. Our boat is a 1984 C and C Landfall, she's new to us, though we have sailed her, and she is solid and sails well. This is going to be a new experience for both of us. DH grew up sailing, and I have confidence in his skills, My skills are presently limited to being a good listener and doer. Originally we had planned to go the #3 route, and if we decide on that, we will likely just sail to Lake Ontario and then put her on land for the winter. We are anxious to start our new way of life (retirement onboard) and have a lot to learn and research.
Old 12-19-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Don't let the naysayers discourage you. I've done the trip many times but starting at Labour day. Late August or early September is fine. Take your time and stay in the Chesapeake till mid-October. I've been fortunate as far as hurricanes go. Ran into the remnants of Floyd in the Hudson but this was manageable and your chances for a trouble free trip weatherwise are fairly good. Lots of time to find shelter if required.

The easiest route is through the NY State Canal system. Enter at Buffalo. A delightful trip.
Midnightflyer and OffWeGo like this.

Last edited by Vasco; 12-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.