Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Retirement Sailing

Thanx Dave6330 and OffWeGo. Glad you found it helpful. As so many have pointed out, so much depends on how you want to live. At least you now have a list of categories of expenses to consider as you make your own budgets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

dbmathison is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I like this thread. WingNWings, your blog is great. Are there any recommend readings on this subject. My wife and I are seriously concidering similiar for the at least the early part of our retirement (we are early 50's right now). We are still a few years off but want to start making steps in the right direction. Cost vary by personality and what one conciders a need, we get that. But things like dealing with taxes? Mail? Registrations? Medications? Consideration we never even thought of? etc...

We boat in the upper Chesapeake now. Our plan right now would be cruising back here for summer months (come back and visit family & friends and deal with DR's and the likes), but spending winters south just drifting around under a variety of situations. Floriday, Keys, Bahamas, USVI, BVI and more. Some hook, some marina, little mix of everything.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-19-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I don't think you need very much.

But I need more than you so could you please send me $1,000 per month as I am a bit tight for cash this year..... And next year too....
Rob Erdos likes this.

Old 03-19-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

This is a reprint (I think)...but the Bumfuzzles posted what it costs to cruise and then travel by land. I wish they would do the same on their new boat too.

Remember, these costs are now almost 10 years old, so they're probably *UP* by around 20%

What Does it Cost to Cruise? | Sail Feed
Old 03-22-2013

Thunderchild is on a distinguished road

I like this most important thread!!! Gives a sense of what to really expect when trying to live the dream.
Old 03-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

A couple of thoughts on this critical issue. A major consideration is how often you have to pa to sleep. In some areas (most of the world), you can anchor out every night. In fact, that is often the only choice. In other areas, (western Med and heavily populated parts of the US come to mind) you need to use a marina or at least pay for a mooring. This can really push up the cost and kill a budget. So consider where you want to cruise.

My other thought, is that it is really nice to have an emergency fund to fall back on. We cruise economically for the most part but have money available for big ticket items that are unexpected. For example, we had a $7000 hospital bill in South Africa a few months ago, not to mention the extra costs of flights to Canada. Not sure what the $500 a month people do if they lack an emergency fund when there is major engine work to be done or a sail blows out and can't be fixed.
utchuckd likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 03-22-2013

Thunderchild is on a distinguished road

I will start my "learning" phase in the Chesapeake Bay. I live in Maryland so it is close to home. My eventual goal is to sail between Martha's Vineyard and Key West. This will be my preferred area as i see it. Good points about the emergency fund! Always need to have one of those just in case.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.