Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Minimum extended cruising requirements.

Wow! For once, I may disagree with my friend Aaron.

Before you invest in that monstrous Cat, go pick up the phone and start calling for marinas to house her. You can reverse those number of time at anchor and at marinas. SO you know, we spend more time at anchor than anyone else we have cruised with, and we don't spend those numbers. I would say if you can hit 50-50, you are doing good. TO hit those numbers, you will have to have a watermaker or a large water reserve, you will need a solid way of refurbishing your power (large solar array and batts), and you will need a large holding tank (s). Now, you can make all this work on the large cat, but the costs of putting her in a marina until you do might shock you. Many marinas simply were not built to accomodate wide beam boats (especially in south florida where slips are at a premium). You will either havae to get slips much larger than your boat, be charged for a double slip, or be forced to get a side-tie (T-Head). THe Theads are often the first to go because the view and ability to get on/off are much better. Also, because most theads are twice the legth of most slips (they span them), the marinas love to charge you max money for that slip or not give it to you at all while they wait for the 80 foot Hatteras to come back.

Now, others can speak more to the availability in the carribean and Bahamas where I suspect you can and will anchor out more than not. But here in the US, especailly on the west coast of FL to the Keys, I speak the truth. I know this because we looked heavily into a Cat before realizing we didn't want the hassle of getting screwed by marinas.

For your intended purpose, I would get a two cabin, 40-50 foot, production sailing boat. If you get a third cabin boat, you are just going to make it your garage or work bench anyways and there are too many tradeoffs in doing many 3 cabin boats around 40 feet (45-50 can do a 3 cabin somewhat comfortable). I would tell the kids that when they come, paradise is never-ending outside, but down below its about 40 feet long. Inside we are all family, deal with it, and don't fart with the hatches closed or pump tampons down the head. Otherwise, your view of paradise will come from the local hotel. By the boat for how you know you are goin gto use it, not the off times of how you might use it. You dont even know for sure how much they will come. Jobs, life, airline travel, etc always have a way of screwing up intentions. so basically, get a production boat: the many hatches, generally faster speed, and open and comfortable living quarters will make this a super boat for your intended area. Which one you get is really based upon your budget and whether you and the wife like SNickers (Hunters), 3 musketeers (Benes), or the World's Finest Chocolate (Catalina).

Brian

PS Pretty much agree with most of the rest of Cpt. Aaron!! I do believe my friend has been on a boat with a woman!!
Capt.aaron likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 01-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013

Scott&Rosie is on a distinguished road

Man, I love this site already! I grew up sailing O'Day's between 18 and 25 feet. Just to compare mfg's you mentioned, how would an old O'Day compare with any of them?
Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Ya know, My grandparents up graded to an Oday 30 something with a center cockpit, aft cabin, and me and my sister and an aunt cruised around the Bahamas in it and there was plenty of room, that was two teenagers, an adult women and my grandparents. I think that makes five....ya five. I had almost forgot about that trip till just now. The aunt had the v berth, the sister the couch thing in the main cabin and I had the pilot berth. Which ,Ha ha, is the most comfy on a passage. Of course the Granparents had the aft cabin which had it's own mini head., plenty of room for us up in the oxygen tent. ( the plastic enclosed cockpit.)
But if I had the clams, I'd be in a big cat. That is true about the Marinas, as I never put my sailboat in a Marina I never consider that aspect. My dive boat is in a marina and my neighbor has a cat, I never thought that he may be paying twice what I am.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 01-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2013

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

Just to run a little counter current from some of the other posters here. A good friend has a 32' Beneteau Oceanis. Now, I know this is not a very big boat but it does have a nice V-berth cabin as well as a roomy aft bunk (the cabin part is not so big though), as well as a roomy settee berth. So a couple with occasional kids and a friend for a short stay is doable. We have done a long weekend with 6 adults aboard with out a problem, allthough if you are someone who needs a lot of privacy, this won't work well. These boats are pretty affordable and sell well when it is time to move up. I would keep this in mind when choosing your boat.

Kevin
Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

I deliverd a 27 foot Benny first to Columbia with two dudes, that makes 3, and we where o.k. A girl would'nt of liked it, nice galley.
Old 01-15-2013

Scott&Rosie is on a distinguished road

I know O'Day had two versions of their 39 and one which was called the ODay /Hunter 40 which I belive had less than a 5'draft. If an older one could be found, I'm guessing that might fit the bill very well if I could get it right price wise. I'm told they were very stable boats with lots of sail. I know the smaller ones were.
Old 01-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

A cat doesn't have to be expensive, as long as you're not all caught up in the latest boat show/ charter company's shiny wet dream.
A Catalac 9M or Gemini 3000 might be the ticket. Both can be found under $50K, both are easy to handle, and both pack more room and creature comforts than the average 36' monohull. You can't load them as heavily as a mono, but many folks have satisfactorily lived aboard and cruised the caribbean in both for years.

And it can be really nice to have guests at the opposite end of the boat, in the opposite hull.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
A cat doesn't have to be expensive, as long as you're not all caught up in the latest boat show/ charter company's shiny wet dream.
A Catalac 9M or Gemini 3000 might be the ticket. Both can be found under $50K, both are easy to handle, and both pack more room and creature comforts than the average 36' monohull. You can't load them as heavily as a mono, but many folks have satisfactorily lived aboard and cruised the caribbean in both for years.

And it can be really nice to have guests at the opposite end of the boat, in the opposite hull.
Ya, that's all I'm say'n. But for big sea, no worries, tie her off and go below saftey, see you when it's over, make some tea and hold on while you read a book and ride it out, take all that she throw's at ya, a big west sail type fat but double ender high free board full keel to the rudder shoe boat is the ticket.
Old 01-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Wetsnails have to handle weather well- they can't get out of the way of it.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Wetsnails have to handle weather well- they can't get out of the way of it.
They run in a big sea better than most sail boats off shore. Most sail boats don't beat the weather out there. The thing about them is, for a new to the big stuff cruiser, they are very forgiving in the messy stuff, when you run in a performance boat, you got to work to stay the course, a fin keel wants to turn into every swell, and you have to steer hard to either side with each chaser, a snail will just float you through it. The Westsnail is a great " bring the family to sea" boat, it gives you time to get used to how it is because it is already used to it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 01-15-2013 at 06:12 PM.