An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandskim View Post
I think if I was gonna go propane I would use the old furnace I already have. I like the idea of going gas free though, if anyone has first hand experience with either gravity fed furnace or pellet stove on a boat please post, thanks.
Is it a Force 10 bulkhead heater? There's a HUGE difference between those and the one posted above, esp on the safety front, but also in the effectiveness...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad

If your boat is insured you should always consider what the ramifications of installing non-marine approved or compliant LPG equipment means. I had to remove an "on-demand" water heater sold and misleadingly marketed as a "marine unit" out last spring. It did not meet any of the applicable marine safety standards even though the owner believed it did due to misleading marketing. It did not pass the insurance survey and the owner had a choice lose insurance or keep the on-demand water heater....

Among other things to be marine compliant the heater needs be vented and also be sealed combustion (not taking combustion air from the cabin). It also can not have a standing pilot light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-16-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I had to remove an "on-demand" water heater sold and misleadingly marketed as a "marine unit" out last spring. It did not meet any of the applicable marine safety standards even though the owner believed it did due to misleading marketing. It did not pass the insurance survey and the owner had a choice lose insurance or keep the on-demand water heater.....
Main Sail, can I ask the brand/model of the water heater you had to remove?
Old 01-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Main Sail, can I ask the brand/model of the water heater you had to remove?
Excel..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-17-2013

Stella's crew is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail, just noticed your link. Found that site via search this summer and refered to it often getting Stella seaworthy. The photos and step by step were/are very helpful. Thank You THANK YOU

Please do what you like, just don't do it here.
Old 01-18-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gravity simply means no fan.,
Ah!!! Thanks.

Ya, can't get enough of Maine Sail's information. Started with the butyl tape thread.
Old 01-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Gravity simply means no fan., "
Damn, I've got a gravity-fed campfire and never knew it!
Old 01-18-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandskim View Post
any ideas? I was thinking it might not work or be dangerous due to wave movement?
also-
Anyone tried using a small pellet stove on a boat?
any advice is greatly appreciated.
chris from Canada
Propane on a boat is perfectly safe if done properly. If you do not know whats required to accomplish that don't even start.

If you intend to pursue propane send me a pm with an email address and I'll send you the standards or you can take a look at Safe Boat Propane Installations
Old 01-23-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

propane scares me. It is just as bad as gasoline for sitting in the bilges if you get a leak.. and just as likely to blow your boat skyhigh if it ignites.

I like the kerosine and even better, the diesel stoves.. especially if you have a diesel engine already aboard

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 01-23-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Guess no one has ever seen a diesel "explosion" It can happen in a heater that's hot. and someone tries to relight while the fuel is still being gasified by the hot burner. More often with diesel they will belch soot, so much that every surface will be coated.

With all the safety devices available and common sense. and a diesel engine boat. someone would almost have to want to blow up their boat!

My boat is for sale.

Tags
heating propane furnace