An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013

islandskim is on a distinguished road
An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad

any ideas? I was thinking it might not work or be dangerous due to wave movement?
also-
Anyone tried using a small pellet stove on a boat?
any advice is greatly appreciated.
chris from Canada
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad

Hi islandskim. I see that the above post is your first so you are new to SailNet. Let me be the first to welcome you and let you know we are not elitists.
I'm not sure why gravity needs to be used to supply propane to the furnace since the propane is under pressure and that will move the gas to the burner.
Old 01-16-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: An old gravity fed propane furnace from camper installed on boat-good idea or bad

If it is vented properly, installed properly, and the fuel is available to you, anything goes. I'm also curious how you would "gravity feed" propane, since it flows by pressure, not gravity.
islandskim likes this.
Old 01-16-2013
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

I think the pellet stove would be a great idea, for heat anyway. I don't get the gravity fed propane thing. I use a propane swing-type stove in the cabin and have a propane BBQ on the back rail. Both work great, and I get great mileage from my propane.

Welcome to Sailnet.
Old 01-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Gravity air convection. (no fan) like a typical camper has. Should work, but rust out prematurely since it's steel and painted steel. vent pipe would be quite large because it's natural draft.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Denise: right on as usual, hard to beat that girl in her field! Always impressed..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dale!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2013

thanks for the posts guys. Gravity simply means no fan., Im curious though if the flame would go out while travelling in rough weather. I have found some small pellet stoves online around 3000 new, so don;t think I'll be going down that rout anytime soon. For some reason they don't have those in Canada (Yet). I have seen the "little gnome" pellet stove for example can run on a 12v fan, again not sure if wave action would affect the operation...??? anyone??
Old 01-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

The Dickenson Newport is a great little propane fireplace, two sizes (9,000 and 12,000 BTU) we have the smaller on our 34 footer, used the larger on our last boat, a 40 footer. Fully vented, outside air supply, sealed combustion chamber.. really safe and good ambiance due to the glass front and visible flame.

DICKINSON NEWPORT PROPANE HEATER - P9000 Binnacle.com

Under $1K AND it comes with all necessary flue pipe, deck fitting, etc. All you need to add is the fuel line. Only complaint is a rather noisy fan..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2013

I think if I was gonna go propane I would use the old furnace I already have. I like the idea of going gas free though, if anyone has first hand experience with either gravity fed furnace or pellet stove on a boat please post, thanks.

Tags
heating propane furnace