SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/95919-i-am-26-seriously-considering-moving-aboard-my-girlfriend-any-advice.html)

jambone 01-20-2013 01:57 PM

I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard. Any advice?

I cannot afford a house right now, but would like to spend around 100,000 on a comfortable sailboat to live on Lake Ontario. Am currently looking at Beneteau's between 36' and 40'. Does not need to be a bluewater boat, as I will only be cruising lake Ontario, however, don't want a cheap flimsy boat. Will probably be looking between years 90's and early 2000's. Any advice? Does this boat sound okay? Thanks a lot.

Faster 01-20-2013 02:04 PM

Re: I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice?

That's a decent budget for the size.. Beneteaus are quite nice, but in many cases the berths can be 'pushed out' to the ends of the boat, with V berths especially being pinched forward and not so comfortable for two. However many Benes now have athwartships aft doubles that work well.

However for $100K you can get a Catalina 36MKII - doubt you will find a nicer liveaboard layout for two, huge V berth plus a good aft double - you'll have your choice, great galley and very nice cockpit for summer cruising too. It allows you to easily host another couple of guests too..There's a nice 2001 available at our marina in Vancouver, asking $89K. For some the fact that Catalina uses lead in all their keels vs some Benes using iron is another common deciding factor.

Don't expect living aboard to end up being cheaper.. there are extra fees usually and unexpected issues that can factor in, do your due diligence and find out the real costs before jumping in. Of course if you're avoiding a $500K mortgage you'll have some free cash to pay those costs.. but it's not 'free', esp if it's a sanctioned liveaboard location as opposed to what some call 'sneakaboard' living...

Lake Superior Sailor 01-20-2013 02:06 PM

Re: I am 26, and seriously considering moving aboard with my girlfriend. Any advice?

What about the hard water this time of year? And then what a heating bill could look like!..Dale

jambone 01-20-2013 02:09 PM

At our club right now there are several liveaboards year round. They use water bubblers and shrink wrap their decks. I believe most of them use electric heaters powered by the shore. I will definitely check out the MKII.

davidpm 01-20-2013 02:12 PM

I don't understand the financial side.
If you have a 100g to buy a boat it seems like that would make a good down payment on a house. If you have to borrow the money it probably will not work out due to live-aboard and insurance and repair issues.
If you have 100k but no income you will need to save a significant piece of your inheritance for lots and lots of expenses you may not have thought of yet.

You came to a sailing enthusiasts site but indicate you really would prefer a house.
Do you like sailboats or are you just looking for a cheap place to live.
If the latter a powerboat would give you more room a condo even more room.
Based on your brief question we don't have enough information to give you any useful advice.

Stumble 01-20-2013 02:58 PM

Over the summer we bought a 2003 Bene 381 for around $75,000 including refit. So I think your budget is perfectly reasonable. But I have zero experience cruising in cold water, and have no idea the sutability of them for up north. I stop sailing when it gets below 50.

kd3pc 01-20-2013 02:59 PM

Beneteau 36CC is an awesome liveaboard and well with in your budget. same hull as the 361 so it will sail well, as well as a decent aft berth for two, head one step away, and a nice salon, kitchen and you still have a vberth that will close off when either need a get away.

best of luck

Minnewaska 01-20-2013 06:08 PM

Do it while you can. Your plan is a reasonable adventure, without going overboard and attempting to sail around the world. When you want to move ashore, you can.

As far as living aboard over the winter, you'll need to be very mindful of having insulation on the boat, or it will condensate and mold can grow where you can't reach to clean it. Think about having a dehumidifier running 24/7.

After than, snowy and icy docks are probably the next biggest hazard.

sailortjk1 01-20-2013 06:21 PM

My wife and I love our benny 361.
However, as a live aboard I would like a berth that TWO people can get in and out of comfortably and with out the elbow in the gut or the knee in the groin.
Our aft berth is plenty big enough for two, but it is not easy for the person on the inside to get out of the berth with out making life miserable for their partner.

killarney_sailor 01-20-2013 11:01 PM

Have a look at a Nonsuch 33 or 36 for a very comfy liveaboard and cruiser in your price range. We had an Espar heater when we lived aboard in NYC for two winters. We were much happier with our heating situation than people with electric were.