Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013

RW Sailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor
Liveaboards in Annapolis

Hello everybody,
I finally made it to actually finding a pretty boat, suitable for live aboard and looking into getting a nice liveaboard slip in Annapolis. So I was wondering, not only if there are people who can recommend particular marinas in the area but also if maybe somebody is living there already and possibly also know about the commute to DC.
I do not have a car and would go to DC by public transport or carpooling every day, any experiences on that out there?
Thank you already for sharing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboards in Annapolis

DC by public transport is all but impossible, car pool perhaps but you WILL have traffic unless you work odd hours,

they used to have bus service from strategic points, others will chime in with that.
Old 01-21-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

RW:

Here is a thread to get you started. There are some marinas listed. Port Annapolis is a popular one. I don't live aboard but I've visited that marina several times and it is beautiful.

Annapolis Live Aboard Marinas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-21-2013

Great! Thank you! I looked around quite a bit already, but that one is new!
And I realized that commuting is not too bad, but it still ends up being about 3 hours a day (both ways) but at least staying close to nice sailing!
Old 01-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Wingnwing lives aboard in Annapolis,

The commute to DC sucks no matter which direction you do it from. I go from Baltimore, but down to 50 near Annapolis and in. There are cxommuter buses from the parking lots along 50, but youd have to get to there.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-22-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Years ago my ex and I lived aboard at Port Annapolis on Back Creek and commuted to Bethesda daily to our government jobs. Not a pleasant commute. The marina had a dock devoted to liveaboards(F dock) and I still think many liveaboards are there today. My reference is from 20 years ago so things do change.
Old 01-22-2013

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road

Have you checked into marinas in/around D.C.? .02
Old 01-22-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Port Annapolis, Annapolis Landing, Jabins are the three big marinas on that side of Back Creek that are liveaboard friendly, lots of smaller ones as well. There's a commuter bus that's a great option to get to downtown, yes traffic is a challenge but hey, you can read or sleep on the bus. That bus stop is about 5 miles from the marina. There is also a bus that leaves from the same stop that connects you with the metro. The closest local bus is about a mile from the marinas, you'd have to take that to get to the downtown bus stop & change busses, I don't know how practical that would be. But a number of the liveaboards here work downtown and you could probably arrange a carpool.

Near DC, there's Gangplank - wonderful location but long waiting list, Tantallon doesn't have a waiting list but gets mixed reviews. Maybe National Harbor? The problem with the DC marinas is you can't go sailing on the weekends. From an Annapolis marina, you go from your slip to sailing the Chesapeake in about 10 minutes.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-22-2013

Thank you everybody for all the input, will check on the suggested Marinas!
The trouble about living aboard in DC or Ft. Washington is really that on a weekend it's not really possible to do some nice sailing... so I'ld rather be out on the bay... but I guess that's a matter of personal opinion.
Baltimore would also be an option, but I think the commute from there turns out even more expensive than from Annapolis... assuming it is 5 days a week most of the year it's quite a bit of money in the end...
Thanks a lot for now!
Old 01-23-2013
Rogue Musician

TheTardis is on a distinguished road

If you a seriously considering Baltimore as on option, there are many nice liveaboard friendly marinas. Depending on what creature comforts you want, there are options in many price ranges. I just recently went through the same process to find a marina that allowed liveaboards, since the marina my boat is currently at isn't allowing any new liveaboards.
I'm moving to Henderson's wharf marina. I liked the location and the price. No fancy club house, but they have wifi, free cable, secured parking, newly remodeled bathhouse with washer/dryer, mailboxes on site, great location in Fell's Point, and very laid back, friendly people. Oh, and electric is included in your slip fee..no matter now many heaters you run ;-)

Many people like Baltimore Marine Centers. Baltimore Marine Centers > Home because they have several locations and offer everything from a floating tiki bar to a pool and gym. But they are much more expensive.

As far as the commute to DC goes, if you only need to work Mon - Fri, many people take the MARC train. It is fast and affordable. You could take the free bus to Penn station and then grab the MARC.

Just an option to think about.
'78 Pearson 30, #1099

Tags
annapolis , liveaboard