Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...

BTW, you can buy large portions of rice at Costco too. We do. This makes their meals quite inexpensive, plus (most importantly) all of this stuff is available wherever you go and YOU can eat it too!! A little safety factor built in.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013

remetau is on a distinguished road

Brian,

First off, stop using so many paper towels. Use rags and sponges instead.

We found that bread was easy to get, but not always cheap. I don't mind spending the extra cash on local foods though. We also use the tortillas a lot more.

Beer was a bigger issue, but I found that good rum is an easy replacement.

Now that we are vegans (for this year anyway), who knows that the provision problems will be. I would hope it would be easier, but last time we were in the Bahamas, the fresh fruits and vegetables were scarce and on their last legs.

Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
Brian,

First off, stop using so many paper towels. Use rags and sponges instead.

We found that bread was easy to get, but not always cheap. I don't mind spending the extra cash on local foods though. We also use the tortillas a lot more.

Beer was a bigger issue, but I found that good rum is an easy replacement.

Now that we are vegans (for this year anyway), who knows that the provision problems will be. I would hope it would be easier, but last time we were in the Bahamas, the fresh fruits and vegetables were scarce and on their last legs.
Who said it was ME using the paper towels!!?? You met my boys! (snicker). Truth is that I am as bad as they are... almost. We use the towels too. It is a hard transition though.

Anothe big surprise was the amount of trash we accumulate as cruisers. Yikes!!

I will say this, cruising sure give you a new perspective on your Footprint you leave on the planet... the water you use, the food you consume, the waste water, the trash, etc. Am I te only one that goes to a land-based toilet and flushes and thinks, "Wow! I'd be out of water in a few days if I had to use that thing!"

So you two went Vegan? Good for you. I tried the whole vegetarian thing once and didnt last very long. Problem is I am a sucky fisherman!

We will be stopping off in Manatee (Emerson Pt) in next week or two. The plan is the weekend after next. You wanna come? Lotsa cruisers going... February 1st... put it on your calendar!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-22-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Brian, I just facebooked you.
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Brian, I just facebooked you.
Got ya!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-22-2013

remetau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Who said it was ME using the paper towels!!?? You met my boys! (snicker). Truth is that I am as bad as they are... almost. We use the towels too. It is a hard transition though.

Anothe big surprise was the amount of trash we accumulate as cruisers. Yikes!!

I will say this, cruising sure give you a new perspective on your Footprint you leave on the planet... the water you use, the food you consume, the waste water, the trash, etc. Am I te only one that goes to a land-based toilet and flushes and thinks, "Wow! I'd be out of water in a few days if I had to use that thing!"

So you two went Vegan? Good for you. I tried the whole vegetarian thing once and didnt last very long. Problem is I am a sucky fisherman!

We will be stopping off in Manatee (Emerson Pt) in next week or two. The plan is the weekend after next. You wanna come? Lotsa cruisers going... February 1st... put it on your calendar!!

Brian
Yeah, I get the trash thing. It takes a bit of conscious thinking to think about it ahead of time, but I feel that it is well worth the effort.

We were once vegetarians for a year and decided to try vegan for 6 weeks this year, but we may stay with it or at least mostly vegan and vegetarian.

I'll try to remember about the Feb 1st. We have been wanting to get away from the dock, but have had too many friends visiting.

Old 01-22-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

It's really cold up here, the water is turning hard. So all this talk of raftups is making me quite jealous!

My biggest provisioning surprise comes from finding foods in forms different than we expect from the US. Butter in the islands comes in cans ("tins") instead of refrigerated sticks; coconut milk comes powdered - just mix with water; beans and vegetables that we're used to seeing in cans comes in glass jars; and tomato paste comes in a tube like toothpaste, just for some examples.

This link leads to a bunch of links from other cruisers' blog posts specifically about provisioning The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives: Is there Jif in Vanuatu?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-22-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

If the heat in the cabin is an issue, you can bake bread quite easily in a pressure cooker on the bbq or small camp stove. Bread is almost as easy as egg noodles to make.

Old 01-24-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Corn chips.

umm yeah ok...first world problems I know. If Joshua Slocum or for that matter even the era of the Pardeys realised that for months the lack of corn chips on our boat was the number one issue onboard they would be disgusted. But there you go.

On the other hand we left with 24 kilograms( I'm not good at converting sorry) of rice onboard and now there is about 22 kilograms still onboard to say nothing of the canned goods we took that were largely untouched.

My personal fear was running out of toilet paper....water, fuel we could manage, but damned if I was going to run out of toilet paper. My wife is still finding rolls of it tucked into nooks here and there.
wingNwing likes this.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

Old 01-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Do you have paper towels that come in the one-third size sheets? We find it seriously cuts down on waste. If you need a bigger towel, you tear off a few together. We find that we almost never need more than the small sheet.

Also, we have a good supply of micro-fiber rags. They rinse easily and will dry quickly hanging over the faucet.
wingNwing likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.