Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...

Well, I will share one of our biggest surprises (or two). I welcome others to share theirs!

First, we have two kids on board. Of course, we have been harping about water usage for years, but it seems it has finally settled in: we can now go (very conservatively) for about two weeks on 130g of water. If we don't conserve, we are down to about 10 days. This includes showers every day and at least one clothes washing.

On the other hand, we are killing the paper towels. They seem to be our nemesis. We have been switching over to more traditional towels for cleaning and other uses, but paper towels are probably our biggest issue.

Another item we are having trouble balancing is bread. For something that costs a buck at the store, it sure does come as a luxury about your second week on the hook! Our workaround for that is tortillas which last a surprisingly long time and keep well. But you can't exactly store enough bread to last a month, so we are looking for some good recipes to make it.

What have others been surprised with? What is your nemesis?? What was your workaround?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruiser's Biggest Provisioning Surprises...

Cigarettes!

Not a problem for everyone, but there it is.

Real soda, I don't mean the soda stream stuff - it doesn't taste the same, and if you are going to drink soda you want it to be what you like (especially in a diet soda).
Old 01-22-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I am truly shocked the the peanut butter prices in Mexico. I wish I'd bought 10 jars at Costco in California before we crossed the border.
In fact, the whole concept of buying in bulk to save money seems to have skipped Mexico.

Old 01-22-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I am truly shocked the the peanut butter prices in Mexico. I wish I'd bought 10 jars at Costco in California before we crossed the border.
In fact, the whole concept of buying in bulk to save money seems to have skipped Mexico.
Hm, I saw Costco and Sam's Club in Mexico.
Old 01-22-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Brian, you might be surprised how easy it is to bake fresh bread. If you don't want so much heat from the oven try using a cast iron skillet and making corn bread. I'ts so easy even I can do it and there is nothing in the world as luxurious as fresh bread. As far as the paper towels go its hopeless. We try and try, we have a 99% green boat but paper towels are our downfall.

When it comes to provisioning dog food is our money pit, we spend almost the same amount on Chloe as we do on our self's. Once we cross the border we will start sharing our food with her and cutting down on kibble but she is older and her food has all the vitamins and minerals a doggy could want. Storage for dog food is another issue, we buy a 6 month supply at a time and it definitely cuts into our booze storage.

Old 01-22-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Beer for a long cruise. I can store a lot but crew drinks a lot especially during sundowners with other cruisers.
Bread we make or if in the Bahamas, Bimini bread is bought by the case.
Toilet paper with 4 women onboard is my other nemis. Takes up way to much precise storage space, even after collapsing the rolls.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Brian, you might be surprised how easy it is to bake fresh bread. If you don't want so much heat from the oven try using a cast iron skillet and making corn bread. I'ts so easy even I can do it and there is nothing in the world as luxurious as fresh bread. As far as the paper towels go its hopeless. We try and try, we have a 99% green boat but paper towels are our downfall.

When it comes to provisioning dog food is our money pit, we spend almost the same amount on Chloe as we do on our self's. Once we cross the border we will start sharing our food with her and cutting down on kibble but she is older and her food has all the vitamins and minerals a doggy could want. Storage for dog food is another issue, we buy a 6 month supply at a time and it definitely cuts into our booze storage.
We ended up making Fatty's food (until recently, explained later). We used rice and chicken, both of which are readily available. For vitamins, we introduced Dinovite and a calcium/mg supplement. However, the vet recently told us the calcium supplement was probably not needed. You can also supplement with boiled eggs with the chicken (and put the egg shells in too... the dogs digest it for calcium). However, fatty didn't tolerate he egg shells as much as other dogs. If you want the recipe or link, I can send it. If you buy your foods in bulk, you will probably come out cheaper and it is a healthier meal.

We ended up having to go to a prescription diet now because Fatty has developed an allergy to rice and similar products. Now she eats duck and potatoes (while we scavenge for bologna)!! Hard life she has!!

Brian
Atlas likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Beer for a long cruise. I can store a lot but crew drinks a lot especially during sundowners with other cruisers.
Bread we make or if in the Bahamas, Bimini bread is bought by the case.
Toilet paper with 4 women onboard is my other nemis. Takes up way to much precise storage space, even after collapsing the rolls.
Just so you know, beer has a bad habit of exploding if setting against unfinished fiberglass (Gulf stream crossing to Bahamas). The mess it makes, especially when you don't figure it out for about a month or two later, is a real eye opener!! Now beer can be a luxury while liquor drinks have become the mainstay.

Funny, that!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-22-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Brian, I would love that link and will pass it along, thank you.

Old 01-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Brian, I would love that link and will pass it along, thank you.
This is the recipe we used:

Chicken and Rice Dog Food Recipe - Homemade Dog Food

We did it both ways (using the boild quarters and raw thighs). But the easiest way for cruisers os probably to buy canned chicken. You can get canned chicken (already cooked) in very large quantities at Costco and it is relatively cheap. This keeps you from having to go through as much trouble with boiling the auarters or the things and cutting them up, etc. FOr cruisers, as you know, rice keep easy and is dirt cheap. SO make a large portion of rice and leave in a disposable container (or separate into ziplock backs of the correct portion for easy feeding). Then just mix in the chicken fromthe can unless you want to use the cooked chicken recipe. Our only other change was that we took out the egg shells. Fatty didn't like them and they make a crappy mess!! You can add in a Calcium product if you are worred about it (I think it was Citrocal, but I cannot remember... white jar with I think a blue label). All of this is on the site. Last thing I would change is I would get the dog used to eating it cold or close to cold. Again, for cruisers, this is a big plus. Just take the time to slowly get them used to it.

Brian

PS We also added the Dinovite, but bought the large bag. Introduce that SLOWLY... or be ready to pick up a lot of yucky poop!

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.