SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Dry powdered good storage options (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/96018-dry-powdered-good-storage-options.html)

AncientTech 01-24-2013 07:31 AM

Dry powdered good storage options

Planning for cruising and am wondering how others store dry goods such as flour, pasta, rice, beans, powdered milk etc while on a cruise. Moisture being an issue storage of the bulk and in use items concerns me, was wanting the input of the wise and learned about what they encountered and how they overcame the issues.

wingNwing 01-24-2013 07:42 AM

Re: Dry powdered good storage options

We've tried it all, I think, and they all have some assets and some drawbacks. Most of my thoughts are here: Life Afloat Archives: No Cardboard Aboard! You can have a big container of staples stored in a dry but inconvenient locker from which you fill a small "day-use" canister. If I had it to do over again, though, I'd skip the bulk jars - if something goes bad you don't want to lose your entire supply. To keep the flour from hatching weevils - freeze solid for 4 days (kills the eggs), or add a handful of bay leaves to a 1-gallon container. I understand you can also microwave it to kill the eggs but not having a microwave, never tried this. Most effective was borrowing a vacuum sealer and breaking stores into smaller single-use portions.

deniseO30 01-24-2013 08:34 AM

Zip lock bags are indispensable for keeping things dry. There are some Tupperware like containers with seals and locking snap tabs too.. but hard to find.

killarney_sailor 01-24-2013 11:04 AM

For things we use often like flour and rice, we have both bulk and ready-use containers. The bulk containers hold 10 pounds or so and just fit in lockers near the sole. They are the kind with an O ring and four snaps. We put a couple of bay leaves in with them. No problems so far. We found a small hand pump vacuum sealer and bags in New Zealand - never know what you might might find when you visit every boat store you see. We also use high-quality Ziplock bags of every size from teeny to huge.

Yofy 01-24-2013 12:07 PM

Some time ago I wrote a blog on where and how we store provisions. Provisioning and the Healthy Sailor part 2We live on a small boat so we don't have the option of storing really large quantities of bulk dry goods. And actually I'd be leary of storing 10 kilos of anything in this climate.

AncientTech 01-24-2013 01:10 PM

Wow, thank you all for the very helpful post so far. I am learning so many more options for this important task. I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

deniseO30 01-24-2013 01:25 PM

Really, really, wants a submarine sailboat like Ancient tech has in the avatar

AncientTech 01-24-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 980501)
Really, really, wants a submarine sailboat like Ancient tech has in the avatar

=D Me too, if I end up getting one I will gladly let you use it anytime you want.

jimgo 01-24-2013 01:44 PM

Denise, right now I'm just jealous of AncientTech's location, let alone the nifty submarine. Ancient, where Denise and I are, it's currently approximately 23 degrees, and that's pretty much the high temprerature today.

Good luck with the cruise planning - where are you headed?

AncientTech 01-24-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 980511)
Denise, right now I'm just jealous of AncientTech's location, let alone the nifty submarine. Ancient, where Denise and I are, it's currently approximately 23 degrees, and that's pretty much the high temprerature today.

Good luck with the cruise planning - where are you headed?

I have been doing little runs from around Pine Island down to 10K and back on the weekends. Trying to get the boat and me setup to do longer runs. I plan on later going down to the keys for a while and maybe farther as things progress.