Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Issues with Heating in Annapolis, MD

Knowing specifically what system you have is the first step to troubleshooting.

We have a Mermaid 16000btu reverse cycle unit and we used it right up to new years day. The water was in the mid 40s and it continued to pump out warm air and maintain 65° in our cabin although it cycled every 10 minuets. It does not have a supplemental heating coil. We also have an ITU Hurricane II diesel hydronic furnace for the cold days like we are having now.

The other thing you need to properly troubleshoot is an infrared thermometer.

But you must ensure that those through-hulls are not frozen. That can be very dangerous. The fittings can rupture from the expanding ice in them and cause leaks when your boat heels and they submerge.

BTW, this could also simply be a pump relay that is not functioning. We had similar issues with our reverse cycle relay. A good bump would activate it until I could replace it.
Kraden313 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 01-25-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Hey Kraden, stop by our boat for a cup of hot cocoa and a tour - it's probably about 70 in here. We have diesel heat plus a couple of electric space heaters. We'd be glad to loan you a space heater until you get sorted. We could also come by this afternoon and help you verify what type of heat you currently have.
kd3pc, deniseO30, jimgo and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-25-2013
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road

One thing we did when we lived on our boat during winter in Annapolis was to wire two electrical outlets from the 30A circuit that is decicated to the Aircondition.

One outlet in the aft cabin, one in the salon.

That way we utiilized all 30A shorepower coming in to the 30A aircon circuit to run two large oil filled heaters, while still having the 30A on the "house circuit" available to run other electricals (TV, toaster, coffe maker etc) on the boat.

You should be able to do the same thing since your boat has two 30A circuits and dual shore power inlets.

If you cannot do the install yourself, a marine electricain (or general handyman) should be able to do this inexpensively.

The two oil heaters kept our boat warm during the entire winter, we never saw less than 66F in the boat regardless of outside temp.

This modification together with a dehumidifier, a froli systemunder the matress and electric blanket was the things that made our winter relatively comfortable.

Other than that, moving into a house might be the best solution ;-)
Old 01-25-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

My understanding of heat pump/ac type units that lack additional resistive heating elements is the most efficent units can only heat or cool approximately 30 degrees from ambient.

So on a 100 degree day, ac is only going to get you down to about 70 degrees. Conversely, if its 20 outside, about 50 is all the "heat" you can expect from a heat pump unit. You are gonna need some alternate means of heating your boat when the temps get below about 35 degrees.

Home heat pump units have a "second stage" to take over when the heat pump alone is not enough, but marine units lack this feature. The second stage is usually electric resistive elements.
Kraden313 likes this.
Old 01-25-2013

Kraden313 is on a distinguished road

Bubblehead thanks for the information. The more I read these responses and the more people that I talk to it actually just sounds like the water is just too cold and our unit just can't keep up. Makes sense I guess. I believe we actually have a 50 and a 30 amp Shore Power. I have a space heater running now....but it's just not doing much. Husband will be home shortly and is going to stop by Lowes and pick up a different kind of heater. Sooooo much to learn on this boat. But it's fun....and challenging. Thank goodness for warmer temps next week. WingNWing......would love to chat with you more about this since you are right here. I think you have my number..if not let me know and I can send it to you through gmail. THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2013

Also, one other thing...I have gotten a few "Private Messages" about this and apparently since I just signed up today, I am unable to reply to those messages. I can actually see part of the message on my iPhone, but again, cannot reply until I have been a member for at least 7 days.....well that's the message I am getting anyways when I try and open the message. I just don't want you to think I am ignoring you. Thanks again
Old 01-25-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden313 View Post
it actually just sounds like the water is just too cold and our unit just can't keep up.
That may be in part be true but it is not the problem that you are having. If that were the cause of your problem, the unit would be running continuously and you would have a continuous flow of water at your through hulls. The clue to what is wrong is that you do not have water flowing.

But even if your system were running it may not be able to keep up since boats are insulated and water to fiberglass is a pretty efficient heat exchanger. But even so, a water media heat pump should work reasonably well even when the water is close to freezing.

You should shut that system down until you determine whether the circulator pump is working right, and whether you have a burst hose or through hull. You also should check your bilge for rising water.
Tempest likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-25-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Actually some marine units do have resistive elements as an option. I can get one for mine if I like.

Some other notes. A marine unit typically uses water as it's medium so the air temp has very little to do with how much heating or cooling one can generate. It does affect how much the unit cycles though.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-25-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden313 View Post
Also, one other thing...I have gotten a few "Private Messages" about this and apparently since I just signed up today, I am unable to reply to those messages. I can actually see part of the message on my iPhone, but again, cannot reply until I have been a member for at least 7 days.....well that's the message I am getting anyways when I try and open the message. I just don't want you to think I am ignoring you. Thanks again
Kraden
Go over to one of the "not serious" threads and makes some posts so you can get your PMs. Here are a couple:

The place to make junk post so you dont clutter others

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...ong-chain.html
Kraden313 likes this.
Old 01-25-2013

Jeff that is correct that the water was not coming out of the thru hulls last night or early this morning. And when you mentioned it might possibly be frozen on the inside, that was my initial thought. I actually turned the unit off this morning after I made my initial post and got a few replies. I kept it off for a few hours and around noon I turned it back on and went outside to see if we had water flow. We actually did start to have flow coming out of the back and front hulls again. So I left it on, anxiously thinking we were getting ready to have some heat again; however, the temp only got to 50 and would not go any higher. So I just turned it off again and we are looking for some oil heaters to use in the meantime. Next week when we have some warmer temperatures it will be interesting to get the units turned back on and see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on checking the bilge.....I didn't even think about that earlier, and I just checked it and all is good....no water. Thanks again for all your thoughts and posts. Very much appreciated for sure.
chef2sail and wingNwing like this.