Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Issues with Heating in Annapolis, MD

Larger type water supplied heat pumps have a water flow valve that modulates the flow according to the High pressure needs of the compressor. I doubt small marine units have them.

People forget that the heat exchanger while it's a condenser in the cooling cycle.. in the heating cycle that same coil becomes the evaporator and the water going through it gets 10-15 degrees Colder then when it enters! Easy to freeze up!
wingNwing likes this.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
That may be in part be true but it is not the problem that you are having. If that were the cause of your problem, the unit would be running continuously and you would have a continuous flow of water at your through hulls. The clue to what is wrong is that you do not have water flowing.

But even if your system were running it may not be able to keep up since boats are insulated and water to fiberglass is a pretty efficient heat exchanger. But even so, a water media heat pump should work reasonably well even when the water is close to freezing.

You should shut that system down until you determine whether the circulator pump is working right, and whether you have a burst hose or through hull. You also should check your bilge for rising water.

Jeff is probabaly correct in that there is a frozen situation blockage somewhere and that needs to be addressed immediately so there is no blowout or ruptured hose. You may just have a ice block on the coils and there isnt enough heat in the coil when it reverses to defost it so it accumulates. You may have an issue with the reversing valve in the unit. It may be something as simple as an ice plug in the water exhaust exit as it was down to 13 last night and that is exposed I am assuming.

That is one of your issues, however the issue of you not getting heat out of the unit when it was running correctly is not related to that. You stated it was getting warm inside even when the watyer was flowing. Reverse cycle units ARE very dependent on the water temperature. Some units are just heat pumps with no additiona heating coil. These units are the ones which have difficulty making heat under 50 degree water temperature, and are the majority of the units.

I have attached an article which does explain how the reverse cycle works and where this quote comes from

Quote:
Marine HVAC units can be exceptionally efficient in their utilization of energy. But one issue with them is that the coils in the evaporator amass ice. The HVAC system has to thaw this ice frequently, so it switches itself back to heat setting to heat up the coils. Once the frost is thawed, the unit changes back to air conditioning mode.

One more concern in the warming mode is that the more frigid the water the vessel lies in, the less heat the system will have the ability to provide.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7241153

http://ezinearticles.com/?Understand...ems&id=7241153
deniseO30 and Kraden313 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 01-25-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2013

Kraden313 is on a distinguished road

Chef2sail....that is very good information as well and very much appreciated!! Thank you for looking that up and sending it our way. We have quite a few things we need to address for sure and figure out the most efficient and safe way to stay warm this winter. We really do appreciate you....and everyone else....responding and helping out. I love these forums!
Old 01-25-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Chef you tapping into my memory banks? LOL
Kraden313 likes this.

My boat is for sale.

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-25-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: just hates being invisable
Old 01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraden313 View Post
Chef2sail....that is very good information as well and very much appreciated!! Thank you for looking that up and sending it our way. We have quite a few things we need to address for sure and figure out the most efficient and safe way to stay warm this winter. We really do appreciate you....and everyone else....responding and helping out. I love these forums!
Ceramic heaters work well. Take wingnwing up on her offer. They are really nice people....and very knowledgeable. We have a few Sailnetters in that marina.

Dave
Kraden313 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-25-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Also consider that your unit may be putting out heat but just not enough. That is where the infrared thermometer helps. You can shoot the output right at the vent. An undercharged system could also act this way and not produce much heat.

Find out if you are getting any heat at all. When it switches on you should hear the reverse cycle relay trip shortly after start-up. Give it a good five minutes and then check the temp of the air coming out the register.
chef2sail and Kraden313 like this.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-28-2013

OK,,a few days have passed...what happened????

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 01-28-2013

Kraden313 is on a distinguished road

Hi Chef.....first thing is we just turned the whole unit off as it wasn't doing any good. Praying we didn't do any damage to it. We will try it out when weather/water gets a little warmer. We got two oil heaters that are doing a fairly good job of heating the boat. Our thermometer is reading a pretty steady temp anywhere from 65 to 72 degrees in here.....depends on how many times we open the hatch to let the dog out We also invested in a nice heating blanket for our bed. NICEEEEE!!! What's funny is before we moved up here from NC, I had connected with WingNWing through another forum and we chatted quite a bit about the whole move, pros and cons of living aboard during the winter, etc, and she seriously hit the nail on the head about various issues we might possibly encounter during this time. She is so smart!!! She came over here Friday and we had a good chat. She's awesome! To be honest with you, I'm not quite sure this boat has been in this cold of water. I have only been living aboard for a year. My soon-to-be-husband has been living on here for 3 years. The previous owners kept this girl way down South in warm waters. So perhaps she is just having some temperature shock....like me! All in all we are doing much better than we were on Friday. I love these forums because I feel like I learn so much from all the gracious posts! THANKS for checking on us Chef!
wingNwing and jimgo like this.
Old 01-28-2013
1934 Chickering

I hope the units thaw out.. I'd be real concerned about the heat exchangers being split..

My boat is for sale.

Old 01-28-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Denise030

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I just opened this thread and thought of freeze up immediately.

Kraden
I hope the heat exchanger didn't freeze up . (most likely it didn't) Might to be a good idea to find a small fan to pump some heat below or around your heat/cool units.

Best of luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.