Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road
Getting rid of my clothes....

No! I am not going nekkid. Ha!! And you'll be thankful.

I am sorting my clothes closet(s), which, since I've put closet as a plural, you already know I have way too many clothes and that I need to downsize regardless of moving onto a boat or not.

But, how many days worth of clothing does one take to live on board? 2 weeks worth maybe? I'm thinking 2 weeks because we should have use of a washer/dryer while docked somewhere. Correct me if I am wrong on the two weeks.

Our current plan is to leave Ky around Oct., mosey on down the river to Mobile, and hang a left and go over to Apalachicola, Fl. Or, at least mosey on down the river further south, if we can't be ready to leave permanently by Oct.

I guess I am talking more warm weather clothing, my hopes are to store our winter wear...for a long, long time.

Shoes are another topic...boat shoes (2) (1 leather, 1 fabric), my teva hiking shoes (1), (2) pair teva flip-flops, and my birkenstock sandals (1). That is 6 pair total. I can't do without any of these, period.

Thanks oodles!
Old 01-26-2013

coyotejack is on a distinguished road
Getting rid of my clothes....

I would bring as many clothes as you have space to conveniently store. As a live aboard cruiser I am always being faced with needing something I never anticipated, I.e. a suit to attend a funeral in. Of course there is always the local Goodwill or thrift store in an unanticipated emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2013

VetMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting rid of my clothes....

Interesting conundrum! I'd advise as Jack did; bring as much as you can. Ifyou find that after one year you haven't worn something then donate it. Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Here's a whole collection of cruisers' blog posts about clothing: The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives: How do you do laundry on a boat? Clothes for cruisers
Jane.Joy and Magnolia like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-26-2013

Magnolia is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I think I may put together a couple sets...ie: boat work clothes, lounging clothes, and going to town clothes. Maybe this will work, or at least it is a start.

And thank you for the link wingNwing, I will check it out.
Old 01-26-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Being in [close to] the same position; I'm inventorying the list now. I've wondered what to do with "better" clothes; ie: sports jacket, suit, /dressy-er shirts, etc.
In mulling this over w/a friend, the idea of a hanging clothes bag came up.
Solution??
I have a well-traveled "ValPak" suitcase of nylon derivation that will hold all the above and more. When the flip-hook is out and the pak is hung, it takes up no more room that perhaps 6 inches thick and not much wider than a standard hanger.
The bag will probably end up being hung on the fwd head bulkhead, just inside the Vee-berth.
"Closet-in-a-sack" !!
Street shoes in the bottom, small clothes above and all the hung dress wear one could ever need in one, "weather" proof bag; without the hasle of dealing with luggage stowing. A bungee about the bottom to secure it and all's good.

I *may* not need all the finery out for a weekend; but planning to live aboard makes sartorial considerations necessary.

???
woodyby likes this.

Last edited by deltaten; 01-26-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road

I have 2 shirts and 2 shorts. But im a dirty hippy i'm afraid.
Magnolia likes this.
Old 01-26-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

That's OK , Arjen. I plan on being the same, once aboard Tho I'm afraid I'll be an OLD, dirty 'hippy'.... or better, a "scurvy pirate" that occasionally needs to dress for the public! LOL
Old 01-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

long pants turn into shorts, city shorts into boat shorts, boat shorts into work shorts then to rags, same with t shirts, city shirt, boat shirt, work shirt, rags......shoes seem to just get moldy....
Magnolia likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

They make just about everything in quick dry material these days, from underwear to pants to shirts. They are much easier to wash, because they dry so easily, so you can have fewer items and wash them.

If you have access to a vacuum of any kind, the storage bags that suck out air are terrific. Keep things from picking up odors and save tons of space.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.