Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

SakPase is on a distinguished road
Re: California to the Virgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have been anchored in zihuatenejo bay since dec 15th -- is a lovely anchorage--much better than la cruz anchorage, which is totally unprotected..perfect weather---i will not like leaving here--- cruising is all about change, as that is our only constant.
i will bypass acapulco and hit anchorages on my way to huatulco/puerto angel...and more south.
as i do not do marinas except in summertime, we may not meet until canal, if you go there...or not, as i am sloooooww....and i anchor.
happy sails.

for those still in la cruz-do not hesitate to anchor in isla grande, walk across the isthsmus and snorkel in the cove that is a reserve --- awesome--so much like caribean coves with brain coral and clear turquoise waters.....
We left California the same time you got to Zihuat. We are now in Huatulco and hope to be in Panama before the end of April.
I also prefer to anchor but my dog has a much better quality of life if we use the marinas, also my wife is very fond of real showers.
We went into Puerto Angel but there were so many pangas anchored and moored that even in my little boat I couldn't have gotten away with more than 2-1 scope. It is probably the peatiest anchorage down here, but the bays of Huatulco have some great snorkeling.
Unless you need something specific I see little reason to stop in Acapulco.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013

We took a rouge wave off the north coast of Colombia and this the story of how we survived the ordeal.
http://3-knots.com
Old 07-10-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

HOLY SH!T man.

I've been keeping up with your website this whole time it's been awesome with the exception of losing the GoPro and the powerboater in the canal - but this event is tremendously crappy.

I wish it were fiction book, not a real-life blog of your journey. A little difficulty on the final stretch makes for suspense, but this is terrible and sad.

Glad you are able to post, which tells us you are safe. Hope the same for your lady and your dog.
Old 07-11-2013

lynxcat319 is on a distinguished road

I have been keeping up with you guys sine you started the blog.So sorry to hear about your problems and the destrucion of your vessel.Man,so lucky not to have lost it all there.I hope you are insured,but if not perhaps we can round up a care package for you guys.I am a long way off from yall but if I can help in any way....feel free to drop a PM
Old 07-11-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about this. That is a nasty section of coast. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 07-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
HOLY SH!T man.

I've been keeping up with your website this whole time it's been awesome with the exception of losing the GoPro and the powerboater in the canal - but this event is tremendously crappy.

I wish it were fiction book, not a real-life blog of your journey. A little difficulty on the final stretch makes for suspense, but this is terrible and sad.

Glad you are able to post, which tells us you are safe. Hope the same for your lady and your dog.
Tremendously crappy sums it up fairly well haha. Yes our my wife and dog are both safe. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed following our journey. We are on st croix now and keeping an eye out for a new sailboat.
Old 07-12-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

You've definitely got me waiting in suspense for the rest of the story. I must admit that my stomach dropped when I read the latest post and saw the pictures. I'm glad that it appears that it has turned out OK for you (in the Virgin Islands [not stuck in Columbia], everyone (including the pup!) is unhurt, etc.). Hope you find another boat, and that this was your full measure of bad luck at sea!
Old 07-13-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that you are not giving up. What sort of boat are you looking for. I am down in Grenada just now and know of some less expensive boats on offer.
Old 07-14-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

I don't have much to add, other than, wow. I am so glad you guys made it safely. I am also impressed... the way you kept your heads in a dire situation... the comment regarding the countermeasure to panic is to focus upon a task is so true.

You're a great writer, btw. And your story reminds me of John Silverwood, who lost his leg in a sailing accident, yet, continues to sail.
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:
SakPase (07-15-2013)
Old 07-14-2013

AKA44 is on a distinguished road
California to the Virgins

J & J, finding and reading your blog, today, was time well spent. I am majorly impressed and motivated by your intrepid spirits and courage, and happy to hear that you've been rewarded with so much beauty and great experience. Happy, too, that the three of you survived to continue the adventure.

Your site, writing, photography, and composition are all first class. Cheers to you.

BTW, I recently escaped Gidget's home town in So Cal with similar perspective and objectives as you! I bought a boat in Abaco, Bahamas and will slowly drift in your direction over the next few seasons. It's nice to know that there are kindred spirits out there and I hope our courses cross one day.