SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Alternatives to buying your own boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/96275-alternatives-buying-your-own-boat.html)

andifreed 02-01-2013 05:50 PM

Alternatives to buying your own boat

I'm new to sailing, but have been thinking about retiring and cruising around.

I was actually wondering if there are live aboard/cruise partnerships like you see advertised on craigslist for sailboat/slip. This would reduce the watch standing frequency; add more conversational topics; reduce the costs; provide a larger/better equipped boat, etc.

Has anyone tried this?
Where there issue creating/dissolving the partnership?
Did the boat prove too small? Personalities too antagonistic?
Did you organize it by destination (to the med and beyond), or just have discussions about where to go next.

DRFerron 02-01-2013 05:55 PM

Re: Alternatives to buying your own boat

Good evening. You might want to start with this thread:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...as-please.html

Also, if you Google Sailnet partnerships you'll come up with some more threads on the topic.

Best of luck and welcome to the world of sailing!

jsaronson 02-01-2013 06:01 PM

Andii,

Lots of options depending on where you are. JWorld offers boat sharing and there are probably others.

andifreed 02-01-2013 06:28 PM

Looked drferron's links and those looked like boat partnerships, that split up boat usage. Was looking for something more along the lines where the partners cruise together for extended period of time. Something slightly more secure than crewing out as a retired couple.

Capt.aaron 02-01-2013 06:49 PM

In all honesty, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying it can't be done, or should'nt, but the group dynamics would have to be short of devine for it to work extented period. Cruise with another couple, whom you met on like a forum. Maybe you should look for people you already know well and are sure you will get along with in adverse conditions, whom you can trust with your life and finances, and then look into to getting a boat together. Or , lower your standards of the type of boat you think you need a partner to afford, and get a boat you could afford on your own. Like an older smaller, less expensive but just as seaworthy boat.

rugosa 02-01-2013 06:59 PM

My only experience is exchange of services for use. This grew out of race crewing and my realizing NOBODY was taking care of the boat, it looked worse every time we were aboard, and the elderly owner was paying through the nose for work that was questionable at best, and almost always delayed or not completed.

I'm anal about the boat. I just started taking care of the obvious - cleaning, waxing, disposing of broken down and abandoned gear from the previous owner, new deck lines, etc. Now the owner's face lights up every race night, and he basically says 'you'd do that too' when I tell him not to worry, it will be taken care of. I do have 22 yrs of building and service, still have contacts in the industry for parts and advice too.

Owner can no longer handle boat by himself, boat maintenance is my therapy, and owner regularly reminds me that we can take the boat anywhere, any time, as long as we have it back by 5pm race night. A sweet, no-strings-attached arrangement that the rest of the crew has no interest in taking part in. SWEET!

Faster 02-01-2013 07:03 PM

We spent 15 years in a partnership that was not a time share.. we did sail together the majority of the time. At its peak, with two families, 3 kids plus guests we often did 3-4 weeks with 8 or more on board.

It worked for us, but mostly because we were proven good friends first. There are few environments more confining (and escape-proof) than on a boat at sea. Short term internet hookups for delivery crews is ripe territory for tales of woe, fear and abuse.

You'd have to find like-minded people, 'hit it off' and even then only time would tell how viable such a setup would really be.

andifreed 02-01-2013 09:15 PM

Thank you all. It was just a thought.

Most of the people I currently sail with are either far from retirement or are satisfied with the idea of just sailing close to the bay (and getting home before the grass grows too high). Maybe if I actually chartered where I would like to cruise, I would find new friends, with different ideas.

davidpm 02-01-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andifreed (Post 984475)
Thank you all. It was just a thought.

Most of the people I currently sail with are either far from retirement or are satisfied with the idea of just sailing close to the bay (and getting home before the grass grows too high). Maybe if I actually chartered where I would like to cruise, I would find new friends, with different ideas.

Where are you?
Maybe someone here will pm you?

andifreed 02-01-2013 09:55 PM

San Francisco Bay.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm actually a couple years away from either purchasing or forming partnerships. I'm taking the ASA classes (already completed 101/102 103 in March) and will try to get on beer can race crews this summer.