Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is the best cruising in the USA?

My favorite place is where ever my wife is..
Capt.aaron and Jiminri like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
My favorite place is where ever my wife is..
Forget to shop for V Day, didja?

Kidding. That's sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-14-2013
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
So far..

The best place we have found so far is SE Alaska. Granted, the weather ain't so great in the winter, but it really is not much different from the Pacific Northwest (Another favorite area) and much less crowded. The problem with any place with good, warm year-round weather is that it will be crowded, at least by our standards. Here in Alaska we found several spectacular, secluded anchorages that we shared only with whales, salmon, sea lions, eagles and bears.

Old 02-15-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Capt. Aaron. Sw Fl and the keys offer year round sailing as well as all weather sailing. In a gale you can still sail in the bays and hawk channel. Within a days sail you can enjoy solitude or a major metropolitan city. But the best part is the proximity to the Bahamas which arguably has some of the best cruising in the WORLD! Just my $.02.
Trailblazer likes this.
Old 02-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Well, to date I have sailed and spent time in S California (Oxnard to Catalina Island - San Diego), the Pacific NW (some time on the sound), and all overthe gulf from Texas to Key Largo.

South California is fun sailing, and Catalina Island is a fun place, but I found it devoid of great anchorages unless you want to go south to Mexico (which I did not). Good friends of ours did that and they fell in love with the locals in the Sea of Cortez. They were only going to visit and stayed there five years. But the actual area of Southern California was pretty busy with commercial traffic and I would probably opt for somewhere with warmer water and more destinations.

The PNW is gorgeous. I can see why it is considered one of the top destinations in the world for cruising (during season). The mountains literally go straight into the water and it is calm and protected for the most part. There are a LOT of parks and places to go - no shortage of them. Washington especially has done a great job of making them inviting and well kept. I wll also say that the PNW boasts the most friendly people I think I have ever met. And if you enjoy a variety of wines, microbreweries, and great coffee houses, you will fall in love with it. The huge negative for the PNW (and its a big one) is the winters, parts of fall and parts of spring SUCK!!! If you are a South Florida boy used to sun most of the year, you will be in for a shock. I was. I am not sure I could ever live there again or spend more than the summer months there. It was tough on me and the family. Also, the summers are generally pretty light winds. Kinda sucks for sailing.

We have spent most of our time in Florida. I do not care for Miami, and can only stay in Ft Lauderdale for short periods. Pensacola is beautiful but gets too cold for me in the winter. Same for Panama City. Certainly one of the most beautiful areas has to be the keys and Tortugas. Drop-dead gorgeous waters, super clear, warm weather, and Key West is a lot of fun for adults (and a bit for kids... a bit). Marathon pretty much is the hub for taking off anywhere you want to go. If you have not seen Boot Key during season, it is amazing and stuffed with hundreds of boats. Outside of that you can grab a ball at Sombrero light and snorkel the reefs, anchor off Washer woman, or head out and east to one of many other great snorkeling/diving spots. The fishing is fantastic too. The negative of the keys is that it is expensive and there is a bit of a cultural clash. No offense, but Marathon itself has people that are insanely wealthy and those that barely get by (or don't get by at all). Compared to other small "cities", it is not as new and young and vibrant (and I am trying to be nice). The only real crime we have ever had was in Marathon (someone stole our credit card numbers), and I just found out that has happened to very good friends of ours too (their first as well). Another set of friends had their tender stolen, etc. Key West is a whole other country, and I found the people more enjoyable, but it is a tough place for kids and the bar scene gets old before long. Not to mention, Key West is insanely expensive for slippage.

One of the most fun, exciting, and beautiful places we have been has suprisingly been St. Petersburg. The people are some of the most friendly anywhere in Florida, the rates for slippage are ok, there are a lot of yards and competition which makes for good services at reasonable costs (half of the keys), you can get anything you want in St Pete or Tampa marine related, most everything is walkable, there are gorgeous beaches, there are a multitude of parks to go to and explore (Egmont, emerson, Desoto, etc, etc) with Emerson being the best I have ever been to anywhere in any state, and it is very young, new, historic and vibrant. Of all the places I have been, I would probably put St Pete on the top with the Keys a close second.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-15-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Hardcore New Englander. We say:
don't like the weather- wait 5 minutes
don't like the harbor - there's another 10m up or down the coast.
want to see something completely differrent - go cruising ( cliffs/fjords in Maine v. long gradual beachs of the cape and islands v cities)
Need something done or fixed -be done by tomorrow - no island time.
Still the idea of cruising the coast and eastern carribean as the seasons warrent hold great appeal. Was last flight out of Boston before the storm and had a lovely time sailing around St John's .Being base in USVI doesn't seem that bad a choice either. But any day on the boat is better than any day working on the hard.- ANYWHERE- go have too much fun.
Old 02-17-2013

thesnort is on a distinguished road

Very nice post!, Cruisingdad.
I have also heard the Sea of Cortez is great for sailing and even more exciting in Humpback whale season.
I'm going sailing someplace this summer and might get my inspiration and final decision from this thread.
Keep'em coming!
Old 02-20-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

The Chesapeake Bay is amazing, that's why the Beach Boys sing so many songs about it.

Oh, wait ...

Please support my
Old 03-01-2013

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road

The absolute best place to cruise is 5ft in front of were your keel is right now. GO
wingNwing likes this.

May you weather all storms
Old 03-13-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I decided on Puget Sound into Canada. The only thing I see is it sucks for weather, but has everything else. Look at pictures of Desolation Sound. It looks as good as it gets.

I was really tempted by Florida, but the rest of my experience in the South was terrible, so I figured, even though I'm sure it's better, it's still in the South.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.