Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is the best cruising in the USA?

I think the PNW has the best weather in the country. It's not too hot in the summer, it's pretty dry in the summer, and it doesn't get too cold in the winter. Good sailing year round, awesome scenery, good culture.

I have a 5 week trip planned this summer from Seattle up to Desolation Sound, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll probably do another 2 week trip later in the summer hanging around the San Juan Islands.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 03-14-2013
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

I'll throw in another tip of the cap for the Great Lakes. We have beautiful water, great harbors, soaring dunes, rocky bluffs, forested wilderness complete with wolves/moose/bear, big cities (Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.), funky islands (Beaver), uninhabited islands (100's), historic races (Chi-Mac), open water, and more.

We do not have tides, barnacles, sharks, jellyfish, red tides, or hurricanes.

Of course the caveat to all of this sailing splendor is that you'll have to enjoy it between April and October when the water isn't too hard for sailing.

Having said that, I'm also a big fan of Maine and SW Florida for cruising grounds. Actually, I don't think I've cruised or visited anywhere "boaty" that I'm not fond of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

You guys are ALL WRONG! The best cruising grounds in the USA are

wait for it
The Bahamas
Old 03-14-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Perfect world: Chesapeake Bay April-May and Sep-Oct. PNW Jun-Aug. Florida Keys Nov-Feb.

Haven't sailed the Great Lakes or the New England coast. Imagine they are nice in the summer.
Trailblazer likes this.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-16-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
Perfect world: Chesapeake Bay April-May and Sep-Oct. PNW Jun-Aug. Florida Keys Nov-Feb.

Haven't sailed the Great Lakes or the New England coast. Imagine they are nice in the summer.
Then you're looking at a trailerable? Or enough $$ to keep 3 boats in 3 different places and fly from one to the other?

East Coast snowbirds solve this by migrating with the weather - FL or Bahamas in winter, Chessie in spring and autumn, and New England in summer. OP doesn't seem to be looking for the mobile lifestyle (either retired or web-based business); looking for "the One Perfect Place" which probably doesn't exist. I think you have to list what's important to you - weather, culture, city/country, political climate, cost of living, whatever - and then go for the best 8 out of 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-16-2013

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Best cruising? Southwest Florida

Just got back from an early-March bareboat charter out of Punta Gorda.
Charlotte Harbor is well-protected, when the wind pipes up. Go out into the Gulf when you want to.
Great sunsets.
Trailblazer likes this.
Old 03-16-2013

Trailblazer is on a distinguished road

For me and my wife, full time live-aboard and cruising should at no time of the year involve cold weather. The Florida Keys was and is our #1 choice......never in recorded history a snowflake or freezing weather. Sure, you may see an occasional hurricane, but they can be handled with proper planning. The dockage is EXPENSIVE there, but anchoring is cheap. And,as has been said before, it's a great jumping off place for the Bahamas.
We are now land locked and located on the South Texas Coast and are planning a cruise along the Gulf Coast to the Keys. If we coast-hop, that's about a month's worth of travel time. Oh, and by the way the 600+ miles of shoreline in Texas is a greatly overlooked and inexpensive place to cruise.

COOL CHANGE
Rockport, TX
Old 03-16-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

14th St NW in DC used to be where people went "cruising" and Times Sq. NYC before they cleaned it up!
Old 03-22-2013

Thunderchild is on a distinguished road

sailordave: I was born in DC so I know what you mean about 14th ST. NW!!! To me, for my small amount of time sailing, I would say the Chesapeake Bay!! But, I am looking forward to many other areas once I move into the lifestyle.
Old 03-22-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

If i had the money; i'd have one boat on the great Lakes for the summer and one in the Southeast or gulf (Pass Christian, Miss) for the winter.

Quote - per the tourism board
Chaumont-Bay is a beautiful, secluded area located near the St. Lawrence Seaway, on the east end of Lake Ontario, in what is commonly called the Thousand Islands-Seaway region of the state. The Chaumont-Three Mile Bay area is a "Golden Crescent" shaped body of water that is the largest fresh water bay in the world. It also has some of the best fishing in the world where its murky waters provide the perfect habitat for perch, bass, pickerel, pike, lake trout and salmon. The entrance to the bay is provided at Point Peninsula and Pillar Point, where you'll find two of the most prestigious yacht clubs in the country, as well as several local marinas. Chaumont Bay offers swimming, biking, hiking trails and cross country skiing and snowmobiling, as well as boating and fishing. A two-mile trail at Chaumont Barrens leads visitors through a unique landscape with a variety of rare habitats. Although a remote area, Chaumont Bay has motels and rentals along the water and in the village of Chaumont, and area restaurants are excellent. Many special events are held in the area each year, including the Lyme Community Field Days, the Tour de Chaumont Bay Bike Ride, along with several fishing derbies and arts and crafts fairs. In addition, Chaumont Bay is near golf courses, the ferry to Canada, boat access to the St. Lawrence Seaway and 1000 Islands boat tours.
Flickriver: Most interesting photos from Three Mile Bay, New York, United States

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.