Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where is the best cruising in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
sailordave: I was born in DC so I know what you mean about 14th ST. NW!!! To me, for my small amount of time sailing, I would say the Chesapeake Bay!! But, I am looking forward to many other areas once I move into the lifestyle.
Which lifestyle are you referring to?

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013

Thunderchild is on a distinguished road

LOL!! Sailing of course!!
Old 03-23-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Where is the best cruising in the USA?

Maine in September.The weather is fine and you have most anchorages to your self.
Old 04-27-2013

mukilteomaniac is on a distinguished road
Where is the best cruising in the USA?

Born and raised in the PNW. Best summer cruising grounds in the USA. Period!

Lots of anchorages, parks, islands, and it is beautiful. No hurricanes, humidity, bugs, ice storms, or superstorms and coastal flooding. Not as crowded as the SW, Florida, Chesapeke, and the NE. Amazing maritime community. Dungenes Crab is the best tasting in the world, world class salmon fishing, and abundant clams and oysters. San Juan Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island, Desolation Sound are world class areas that you can spend years exploring. Amazing scuba diving with octopus. Killer whales, grey whales, and marine mammals are plentiful.

Clean water and clean air. Snow capped peaks year 'round. Each summer when the kids were small (before little league) we would spend a month at a time exploring the islands and Desolation Sound on our sailboat. Best memories of my life. We plan on doing more of that after we become empty nesters. Absolutely awesome March through October.

We kept our second sailboat in San Diego for about 4 years. We used it as a second home away from Seattle. Did extensive sailing in the SoCal area, Catalina, etc. Amazing sailing year 'round with warm sunny weather, and relatively warm ocean water with predictable wind and small tides. Catalina Island is also amazing. Not as lush as the San Juan's and Canadian Gulf Islands, but warm water, abundant sea life and world class scuba diving. We really enjoyed having our sailboat there. We would spend 2 to 4 weeks at a time each summer exploring communities along the SoCal coast.

So for us - the perfect solution is to be in Seattle in the summer and winter in San Diego. A perfect combination of locales. Both in the same time zone. In the best coast of the US. 2.5 hours apart by commercial jets and 21 hours apart by car. So, we moved our sailboat back up to Seattle and bought a second home in San Diego! It is in the small beach and surfing community of Ocean Beach. I will likely purchase a small day sailer to keep at our SD home to get out in the water in the SD Bay and in Mission Bay while we are there in the winter. In the summer, we will be back in the Seattle area and spend significant time on our 32' sailboat cruising Puget Sound and the Islands.

So, for us, the best spring, summer and fall cruising is the PNW and the best winter sailing is SoCal.
Old 04-29-2013

El Rubio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I was wondering. Where have people liked cruising the best?

I want to go to the PNW. The only problem is the weather. Spring is gloomy, cool, and rainy and summer is short and not very windy. Otherwise is seems perfect.

How about California? It looks like there is a lack of harbors and anchorages, although I might be wrong.

The NE is cold for most if the year but Maine in the summer looks great.

The mid Atlantic, Chesapeake Bay I don't know much about.

The south is well...the south.

Florida. Maybe this looks like the best year round cruising. Lots of place to stop and good water and weather.

Anyone have some personal experience that they really loved?
What's wrong with 'the south'? Good food? friendly people? soft bottoms? winter sailing? liquid water...all year long? gals that aren't offended when they're referred to as gals?
Old 05-03-2013

pkloop is on a distinguished road

El Rubio:

Don't try to convince him..we have enough northerners coming down and polluting the place as it is..:-)

Best cruising is SW Fl and the keys..we live here and love it..
Old 05-04-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscilla View Post
Maine is terrible, fog, rough seas, unprotected harbors...don't go to Maine!
Priscilla is right! Too many choices here. It can get confusing. Lobster pots, lots of shoals in places you would never expect them (unless you checked a chart) Privacy on the hook, no noisy crowds to party with. All the 5 star restaurants are seasonal. Water is too cold for comfortable swimming. Strange birds and animals. You can get lost among the islands, not to mention walking around on them. A surplus of lobster means every place you stop wants to serve it to you. Summer days are terribly long this far north. Maine is not worthy of your list. Capt A has the answer.

Down

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.