Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013
World Traveler

Hiroshimasunset is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroshimasunset
Need advice on preparing for Pacific crossing

Hello everybody,

I'm new to sailing and will be sailing from Vancouver Island to New Zealand via the Marquesas, Tuamotus, Societies, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga, as 1st mate, departing in May. On board will be the captain, myself and my partner and we will be travelling in a 2004 Beneteau 473 (49ft sloop).

We are currently making preparations and I would like to hear from people who have made pacific crossings before who may have tips for us. The captain has experience sailing in the Carribean and up the west cost of the north America between San Diego and Alaska, but not made a pacific crossing before.

I read that many of the anchorages in the Pacific are deeper than those of the Carribean...can anyone comment on this? Our boat has a beam of just under 5m I think...recommendations on anchor rode length? Anchor selection? Spare anchor requirements? (I'm currently reading about anchoring in case you hadn't guessed)

Any provisioning tips? I know food is expensive on many of the islands. We are thinking lots of rice, pasta, tortillas, a bread maker, canned stuff, fresh fish.

The boat will be hauled out soon for general inspection, painting and zinc change etc. New life jackets, lifelines,sail repair kit, epirb,handheld gps, and medical kit for trip. garnim is shipping the map chips. buying paper charts also.
Small portable gen set (1800watts) obaord to run ac while in port if batteries run down for some reason. Plan on having 180 gallon of deisel on board ( 1200nm range) and 20 gal. gas (80 hrs gen operation) at departure.

I would really appreciate any advice or direction to good resources as this will be my first long passage on a sail boat.

Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: Need advice on preparing for Pacific crossing

I would ask the captain! If he does not know find a different ride.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 02-16-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
We had 200 feet of chain attached to lots of rope but would have liked to have had 250 or 300. The only place you mention that has good and cheap shopping is Fiji, Suva in particular. There is an absolutely incredible hypermarche in Papeete, and a good market, but not cheap. We did not go to Tonga so no comment there.
Old 02-16-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

here is a link to a provisioning list that was done for the Vic Maui race

http://www.vicmaui.org/resources/vic...provisions.xls

Something I like are Zatarain products; easy one pot dishes - just add some protein like chicken or sausage.

UHT milk.

You might also use the ISAF offshore racing requirements (Offshore Special Regs | Documents & Rules | ISAF | World Sailing | Official Website : Offshore Special Regs Index) to get some ideas about what to include:

emergency rudder
SSB
Sat phone
Weatherfax / grib

breadmaker?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-16-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Yes a lot of the anchorages are deep.
We only had 150 ft chain (50 m) and 150 fot rode (50m) and needed more. I now have 330 feet chain.
Rope rode is no good as theres too much coral and it can get cut.

Provisioning: There are some long passages and local provisioning exists, of course, but don't count on it being all that crash hot.
If you have a large freezer that can run the whole time then you are in a different realm than we were... we didn't even have refrigeration on passage!
Take as much frozen meat as you can.
The trick is to be able to make a meal thats similar in content to other meals but tastes different, or has a different texture. Really work on bringing "flavours" that change a meals taste. Lots of dried herbs, spices, pre-produced and the ingredients themselves. Weird stuff too like Wasabi sauce in case you catch a nice fish.

Cooking can be a great way to enjoy a passage so instead of doing the easiest meals try to be inventive and take time cooking. A good way to do that is have the ON watch person cook. Thousands of miles across the Pacific gives many hours, days and weeks, and theres not much to see at sea. So the on watch person can use his 4 hour watch planning and preparing an extravaganza.

Few cruising boats remember deserts. Have a look at what is good to store and great to eat... like Jell-O Instant Puddings... mix with a pint of milk and whip with a fork, pour into glasses, refrigerate till dinner, then shave a bit of chocolate block with a knife over the top, add a dollop of cream and you have a desert good enough for a restaurant!

One desert some friends invented: Canned Blueberries. Drain can, put juice only into saucepan and reduce liquid to small amount. Add berries, heat, serve with whipped UHT cream. Mmmmmm

To survive on boat food for a 30 day passage you need to be inventive, creative, resourceful and have time... it all leads to daily fun

BTW The 473 is a great boat!
Ferroever likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a fund trip Hiro. Make sure to keep us posted when you can.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-16-2013
World Traveler

Hiroshimasunset is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroshimasunset

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does anyone know about the availabilty of fuel in Nuku Hiva. Reliable supply?

I'm wanting to do some diving in Nuku Hiva. Anyone dived the headlands at Taiohae Bay? T0o exposed to get out there in a small dhingy?
Old 02-18-2013

Ferroever is on a distinguished road

I'm about to do my first long passage, to Japan, from San Diego, via Hawaii and Guam. Like the advice about the watch person - if possible - also using that time to cook.
Old 02-18-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroever View Post
I'm about to do my first long passage, to Japan, from San Diego, via Hawaii and Guam. Like the advice about the watch person - if possible - also using that time to cook.
I am not sure what you are asking.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-19-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset View Post
Any provisioning tips? I know food is expensive on many of the islands. We are thinking lots of rice, pasta, tortillas, a bread maker, canned stuff, fresh fish.
I know you asked for comments from people who have made that passage, and I haven't, but hopefully you won't mind a comment about provisioning from me anyway.

I'm not saying you are doing this, but I have noticed that a lot of people who are thinking about going out cruising talk about provisioning as if the food they eat will be completely different once they push away from the dock ... there is food they eat now, and the food they'll be eating then, like they'll be totally changing the way they eat once they leave.

My point is that there is no reason not to go ahead and eat what you'll be eating on the boat NOW so that you can get used to eating it.

You said you're thinking lots of pasta, rice, tortillas, canned food, etc, ... is that what you eat now ? Do you use a bread machine now ? If not, why not ?

It takes a while to get used to eating food like that, especially if you were used to eating fast food and other convenience foods, you might not like it, or it might make you feel tired, or sick.

Sailing across the Pacific isn't a weekend camping trip where you can stock up on some granola and make it through until you get back home. Again, I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but I am saying that it is worth spending extended amounts of time eating what you're going to be eating on a boat to get used to it, to make sure you like it, and that you can live on it. Consider it a kind of training for life aboard.

Many things look great on a paper menu until you start eating them every day.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 02-19-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Tags
cruising , liveaboard , pacific , preparations , provisioning