SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Gulf Stream GRIB files?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/96810-gulf-stream-grib-files.html)

tominny 02-20-2013 02:50 PM

Gulf Stream GRIB files??

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can download relatively recent GRIB files with Gulf Stream current information in them? I am hoping to overlay these on my charts with OpenCPN.

Any comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

SVAuspicious 02-20-2013 02:58 PM

Re: Gulf Stream GRIB files??

RTOFS

Global RTOFS Gulf Stream Location

night0wl 02-21-2013 01:17 AM

passageweather has something similar too.

PassageWeather.com

SimonV 02-21-2013 02:33 AM

GRIB.US > Home works well, I still use them here in Oz.

SVAuspicious 02-21-2013 09:26 AM

Grib.us and Passageweather are just displaying GRIB data from a particular model, in this case RTOFS. Thomas asked about the data, not display.

tominny 02-22-2013 06:19 PM

Unfortunately, none of the sources above have GRIB files of the gulf stream current, they are either .png image file or .nc Matlab files. I am looking for actual .grib files that can be loaded into OpenCPN chart ploting software where it then would allow you to see the current information on top of your actual chart.
I can't be the first one to have this desire.... ;-)

SVAuspicious 02-22-2013 08:22 PM

Okay -- saildocs has RTOFS grib files.

jackdale 02-22-2013 11:17 PM

Will this work?

About the Atlantic RTOFS GRiB

tominny 03-10-2013 12:03 AM

Just wanted to report that I was able to resolve the issue with the help from this forum Thank you!

Here is what worked:
I was able to get gulf stream grib files through saildoc (command: send rtofs:35N,25N,082W,072W|0.5 0.5|24,48,72,96,120|)
and then overlay these onto the charts in OpenCPN using the GRIB plug-in.

Awesome! Let's you plan and fine-tune your route based on recent gulf stream predictions and take better advantage of the current and avoid counter-current. The RTOFS model through saildocs can also give you currents in other regions of the Atlantic btw

obelisk 03-10-2013 10:13 AM

you can download GRIB files in GRIB.US for viewing in OpenCPN. just download the file as normal, close GRIB.US window and then open the file (from wherever you saved it) in OpenCPN. you must activate the GRIB addon in Open CPN first.

it works, however, the GRIB viewer in Open CPN is frustrating as it will only show one frame at a time, giving you a snapshot and not a progression.