Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013

hasuehounds is on a distinguished road
Arriving to Puerto Rico from USVI read this!!!

When arriving to Puerto Rico you must call
Customs to check in. If you use the small boaters
Option card, it's just a few minutes on the phone
Instead of an expensive can ride to customs.
What cruisers don't know that arriving from the USVI
To Puerto Rico YOU MUST AGAIN CALL OR CHECK
INTO CUSTOMS-FAILURE TO DO SO IS
PUNISHABLE BY A LARGE $20K FINE AND EVEN
JAIL TIME!!!
This is because Puerto Rico does not recognize
The USVI as part of the United States. The UsVis
is an unincorporated territory, it is not part of the
USA like Puerto Rico is!!!
We didn't get the fine for failure to report to customs
But a written warning that stays on your record 1 year
So when in doubt about customs CALL!!
zeehag and vtsailguy like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Arriving to Puerto Rico from USVI read this!!!

Nice tip. I would not have thought customs was necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-08-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

The procedures for checking into Puerto Rico are clearly documented here NOONSITE.

Some items worthy of note are the need for a visa if you do not have a US passport [except Canadians.] The visa waiver program does not apply to private yachts.

It is worth buying a cruising permit if you plan to change harbours/anchorages. If not you must pay everytime you do so.

US citizens on US flagged yachts can and should enroll in the local boater program.

Sailing in PR waters is complicated by the fact that there are four districts, North, South, East, and West and you are supposed to inform the authorities when you move from one district to another.

Finally boaters who have been used to the slightly less strict approach evident in much of the rest of the Caribbean need to be aware that the US Customs and Border Protection authorities in PR are likely to apply the rules to the letter.
Old 03-08-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasuehounds View Post
When arriving to Puerto Rico you must call
Customs to check in. If you use the small boaters
Option card, it's just a few minutes on the phone
Instead of an expensive can ride to customs.
What cruisers don't know that arriving from the USVI
To Puerto Rico YOU MUST AGAIN CALL OR CHECK
INTO CUSTOMS-FAILURE TO DO SO IS
PUNISHABLE BY A LARGE $20K FINE AND EVEN
JAIL TIME!!!
This is because Puerto Rico does not recognize
The USVI as part of the United States. The UsVis
is an unincorporated territory, it is not part of the
USA like Puerto Rico is!!!
We didn't get the fine for failure to report to customs
But a written warning that stays on your record 1 year
So when in doubt about customs CALL!!
As mentioned, entrance procedures are clearly stated in Noonsite. I disagree with your statement that PR doesn't recognize the USVI as being part of the USA. If that were true, one would have to deal with immigration and customs, not just customs. I think a more correct perception is that the USVI are tax/duty free and PR doesn't want goods purchased in the USVI imported for resale in PR without paying tax. Booze and cigarettes are very cheap in the VI and smuggling into PR is not a welcomed activity. I am glad you weren't fined.
Old 03-08-2013

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

My sister and brother-inlaw have lived in Puerto Rico for close to thirty years. I have joined them more times than I can count to their trips to the virgin islands. We have always as long as I can remember coming back in to the marina in Fajardo, PR calling customs and giving our document numbers over the phone and waiting for us to be cleared. I also believe it has to do more with duty/tax than anything else.
Old 03-11-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
As mentioned, entrance procedures are clearly stated in Noonsite. I disagree with your statement that PR doesn't recognize the USVI as being part of the USA. If that were true, one would have to deal with immigration and customs, not just customs. I think a more correct perception is that the USVI are tax/duty free and PR doesn't want goods purchased in the USVI imported for resale in PR without paying tax. Booze and cigarettes are very cheap in the VI and smuggling into PR is not a welcomed activity. I am glad you weren't fined.
He might not have had any of those items onboard.

Good to know though.. especially about the 4 areas of PR

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"This is because Puerto Rico does not recognize
The USVI as part of the United States."
Ah, Puerto Rico is a WAR PRIZE and the US government calls it an "insular possession" of the United States. What PR does or does not recognize has no standing in federal law or federal court, and last time I checked, both ICE and USCG were required to follow federal rules and federal standards, not the standards of some half-assed war prize which has no vote in how the country is run, and has chosen to remain a half-asses war price instead of voting for statehood. Which they've declined multiple times. Supposedly because the big corporations and the upper class both enjoy the tax freedoms they gain by not becoming a state. Which still makes PR a war prize and nothing more.

The USVI has the same status as PR, they are both "insular possessions" and as such they are classed by Federal law as outside the Customs' boundaries of the US. So regardless of which ones you travel between, it is Federal law, not local law, that determines how you will have to clear in and out.

Under Federal law, if you travel from the USVI to PR, you might as well be traveling to Guam, because you've left the US in between your ports of call.
brak and rugosa like this.
Old 03-12-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ah, Puerto Rico is a WAR PRIZE and the US government calls it an "insular possession" of the United States. What PR does or does not recognize has no standing in federal law or federal court, and last time I checked, both ICE and USCG were required to follow federal rules and federal standards, not the standards of some half-assed war prize which has no vote in how the country is run, and has chosen to remain a half-asses war price instead of voting for statehood. Which they've declined multiple times. Supposedly because the big corporations and the upper class both enjoy the tax freedoms they gain by not becoming a state. Which still makes PR a war prize and nothing more.

The USVI has the same status as PR, they are both "insular possessions" and as such they are classed by Federal law as outside the Customs' boundaries of the US. So regardless of which ones you travel between, it is Federal law, not local law, that determines how you will have to clear in and out.

Under Federal law, if you travel from the USVI to PR, you might as well be traveling to Guam, because you've left the US in between your ports of call.
Sorry to indicate you are wrong in this regard Hellosailor... as far as being half-asses... we Puerto Ricans take aback on these half ass remarks! Now while I agree with you many corporations would like Puerto Rico to remain a commonwealth so they enjoy the tax benefits there are other reasons as well but they are not for this forum.

Regarding the 'insular possessions' you have it so wrong... here is some good reading and the law as it pertains to Puerto Rico Customs (you'll also notice the "other than Puerto Rico" remark in there):

Title 19: Customs Duties
PART 7—CUSTOMS RELATIONS WITH INSULAR POSSESSIONS AND GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL STATION
Browse Previous | Browse Next
§ 7.2 Insular possessions of the United States other than Puerto Rico.
(a) Insular possessions of the United States other than Puerto Rico are also American territory but, because those insular possessions are outside the customs territory of the United States, goods imported therefrom are subject to the rates of duty set forth in column 1 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSUS) except as otherwise provided in §7.3 or in part 148 of this chapter. The principal such insular possessions are the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Wake Island, Midway Islands, and Johnston Atoll. Pursuant to section 603(c) of the Covenant to Establish a Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands in Political Union With the United States of America, Public Law 94–241, 90 Stat. 263, 270, goods imported from the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are entitled to the same tariff treatment as imports from Guam and thus are also subject to the provisions of §7.3 and of part 148 of this chapter.
(b) Importations into Guam, American Samoa, Wake Island, Midway Islands, Johnston Atoll, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are not governed by the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended, or the regulations contained in this chapter. The customs administration of Guam is under the Government of Guam. The customs administration of American Samoa is under the Government of American Samoa. The customs administration of Wake Island is under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Air Force (General Counsel). The customs administration of Midway Islands is under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Navy. There is no customs authority on Johnston Atoll, which is under the operational control of the Defense Nuclear Agency. The customs administration of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands is under the Government of the Commonwealth.
(c) The Secretary of the Treasury administers the customs laws of the U.S. Virgin Islands through the United States Customs Service. The importation of goods into the U.S. Virgin Islands is governed by Virgin Islands law; however, in situations where there is no applicable Virgin Islands law or no U.S. law specifically made applicable to the Virgin Islands, U.S. laws and regulations shall be used as a guide and be complied with as nearly as possible. Tariff classification of, and rates of duty applicable to, goods imported into the U.S. Virgin Islands are established by the Virgin Islands legislature.
[T.D. 97–75, 62 FR 46439, Sept. 3, 1997]

and the law:

§*7.2***Insular possessions of the United States other than Puerto Rico. :: PART 7--CUSTOMS RELATIONS WITH INSULAR POSSESSIONS AND GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL STATION :: CHAPTER I--BUREAU OF CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY; DE

Have a good day!
FarCry likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 03-12-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Apparently I really enjoy visiting with the great people I've met that reside on a "half-assed war prize". Those are some really derogatory statements you are spouting about an entire population. Too bad those residents weren't born in a place where the politics might be more to your liking. Washington DC, Chicago and New Orleans come to mind...
guitarguy56 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
Apparently I really enjoy visiting with the great people I've met that reside on a "half-assed war prize". Those are some really derogatory statements you are spouting about an entire population. Too bad those residents weren't born in a place where the politics might be more to your liking. Washington DC, Chicago and New Orleans come to mind...
It's really surprising to countries/islands to be visited by vacationers only to be insulted... but worse is to try to dispense their version of what 'law' is when they know not what they speak... but alas... follow the law advice of those uninformed... our half ass Puerto Rican jails do not differentiate between half asses and FULL ASSES when those Customs laws or any other laws are violated.

Tags
customs check in , fines , mandatory