Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Knee Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongreerps View Post
Make sure you have a surgeon who is really well trained and experienced in total knee replacement.
The metal on metal joint replacement prostheses were not well thought through. Do not allow a metal on metal replacement under any circumstances. Very important!
Agreed! My father still has the old style hips they have been using since the early 70s.. with some updates to lesson the amount of glue used to hold them in place.. those are still the "good" hips as they do not allow metal on metal contact which will eventually fill the body with microscopic metal particles

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Knee Replacement

First hand experience . I had both knees done. Feb 2012. After about 12 weeks your in pretty good shape. Sailing has been no problem. Although you can't spend to much time kneeling down. You just find different ways to do things. Now bear in mind I'm younger than you. I'm 53 but you should not let it worry you. Don't kid yourself. It not like original equipment. One other thing as another poster said. You only get out of it what you put in. So don't cut corners on the rehab and rehab really sucks.

Any questions just pm me
2007 Hunter 49
Old 03-12-2013

kj3564 is on a distinguished road
Re: Knee Replacement

I had a TKR on right knee this past September 20, was sailing December 8. After completing PT in early November ROM was 121 degrees. Since November, knee still has inflammation and restricts ROM but near 127 degrees. I can kneel OK on left knee but the right knee is tender. I was able to change oil, fluids and winterize the boat in late December. Recovery was slow the first few weeks, it was two weeks before I could do a leg lift and 3 weeks on a walker. I worked out 4 month strengthening the knee before surgery. I now have no pain and walk as much as I like but the knee will swell some. The surgery can lead to a number of complications so ask a lot of questions.