SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Medical/Evacuation Insurance for Pacific Crossing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/97502-medical-evacuation-insurance-pacific-crossing.html)

Hiroshimasunset 03-11-2013 07:50 PM

Medical/Evacuation Insurance for Pacific Crossing

Hi everyone,

I want to purchase a insurance policy that will cover my partner and I for medical expenses and emergency evacuation during our 5 motnh Pacific crossing. I am a New Zealand citizen, 33 years old and my partner is a Canadian, 22.
Ideally the policy could also cover scuba diving accidents and recompression treatment.

Can anyone give me recommendations? I'm having trouble finding a suitable policy.

Thank you

SOVT 03-11-2013 09:12 PM

Re: Medical/Evacuation Insurance for Pacific Crossing

I travel internationally for business, SOS International is provided by my company for international travel. Not traditional insurance but provided a number of resources including guaranteeing payment for local medical care.

International SOS

jrd22 03-11-2013 09:20 PM

I would search the PPJ site, or join and post a question.

pacificpuddlejump : Pacific PuddleJump

Summit_Elan 03-11-2013 11:11 PM

Medical/Evacuation Insurance for Pacific Crossing

Check out DAN- the diver assistance network, for insurance covering deco sickness, evac, and other diving related issues.

jackdale 03-11-2013 11:24 PM

If you are talking about a medevac off a boat, AMVER boats did it for free.

I had a medevac to a 1100 foot container ship 1040 miles north of Hawaii last August.

For land-based issues travel insurance should work.

Hiroshimasunset 03-12-2013 03:03 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm finding that offshore sailing (and being a vagabond in general) is not covered in many policies. I have been travelling for most of the past 4 years.

DAN will only cover you if you have a fixed residentual address any travel away from that address is no longer than 3 months. I don't qualify.

I normally don't go for insurance, but i figure having a bad accident in the middle of nowhere could require special assistance.

The search continues...

Hiroshimasunset 03-12-2013 04:59 AM

Jackdale ...yes i am talking about medical evac... what is AMVER?

jackdale 03-12-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset (Post 1001489)
Jackdale ...yes i am talking about medical evac... what is AMVER?

Amver.com - Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue System - Home

You contact the coast guard or rescue coordination centre who contact AMVER who tracks vessels who are part of a volunteer program. Those vessels can effect a rescue or an evacuation.

I did not know about them until our medevac.

Hiroshimasunset 03-12-2013 04:07 PM

Thanks Jackdale. Had a look at the AMVER site...good information to have. Sound like a very useful network to join.

Do you mind me asking about your why you had to be evacuated? Perfectly fine if you don't wish to discuss it.

Thanks for your help.

jackdale 03-12-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiroshimasunset (Post 1001679)
Thanks Jackdale. Had a look at the AMVER site...good information to have. Sound like a very useful network to join.

Do you mind me asking about your why you had to be evacuated? Perfectly fine if you don't wish to discuss it.

Thanks for your help.

The participating vessels in AMVER are large ships on crossings. They will come to your assistance. You cannot contact them, the RCC does that part.

I was not evacuated. One of my crew had some prostate issues and was unable to catheterize himself.

I have posted the videos before.