Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on the Perfect Boat Please

Donna, I both agree and disagree with you. I certainly think it's a good idea to get your SO involved, and to do your best to accomodate your needs and his/hers, especially if the goal is for both of you to be able to enjoy the time on the boat (and if you want the boat to "grow" on him/her). But, it's amazing to me how many of my requirements (i.e., must haves) weren't even a consideration for my wife, even when they were things that I wanted for our kids. The opposite was also true to some extent. So, I can understand some people thinking that their SO "won't care" about certain things - mine certainly didn't. Again, though, I think it's wise to at least have the conversations, even if in the end he/she doesn't care.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013

dreamdoer is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone:
Thank you all for offering such great advice and please continue to provide it. Donna, I was not generalizing when I said that the women who had offered advice all talked about the importance of a well equipped head. That was the advice I got from an earlier thread and my wife concurred. I apologize and hope you believe I meant no offense. For clarification, my wife is intriqued, but not interested enough to actively participate in investigating what would be the MOST perfect boat for us. I am hoping that after I take her and a bottle of wine and sail away on a local lake, she will be "bitten" and want to sail more and in different waters (The ocean). I have the utmost of respect and Love for my wife and I want her to not only accompany me, but to enjoy sailing as I do. That is why I am preparing as best I know how including seeking advice from the wise souls who so gratiously offer their advice here. Both men and women! And please be assured that your time and efforts are not wasted. Thanks to all of you once again.
Old 03-15-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Donna, I both agree and disagree with you. I certainly think it's a good idea to get your SO involved, and to do your best to accomodate your needs and his/hers, especially if the goal is for both of you to be able to enjoy the time on the boat (and if you want the boat to "grow" on him/her). But, it's amazing to me how many of my requirements (i.e., must haves) weren't even a consideration for my wife, even when they were things that I wanted for our kids. The opposite was also true to some extent. So, I can understand some people thinking that their SO "won't care" about certain things - mine certainly didn't. Again, though, I think it's wise to at least have the conversations, even if in the end he/she doesn't care.
Understood. But you engaged her, which is all I'm saying. I don't think everyone will care about everything. If she chooses to opt out of the entire (or parts of the) process, fine. You can't force her (or him) but to not give the other person the chance or guessing what they may want may be asking for a less than enjoyable boat ownership experience down the road.

Think of it as CYA if that helps. Mitigating the risk of her ever winning the argument that you never asked/don't care what she thinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Think of it as CYA if that helps. Mitigating the risk of her ever winning the argument that you never asked/don't care what she thinks.
I'm 100% with you on that! Learned that lesson a long time ago.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdoer View Post
Hi Everyone:
I am hoping that after I take her and a bottle of wine and sail away on a local lake, she will be "bitten" and want to sail more and in different waters (The ocean). I have the utmost of respect and Love for my wife and I want her to not only accompany me, but to enjoy sailing as I do.
Excellent attitude (IMHO). So, tell us more about what you think SHE would want, and what you want. Where are you? What is the depth of the local lake? How big is it? Does the lake have a boat size restriction?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-15-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdoer View Post
... I apologize and hope you believe I meant no offense. For clarification, my wife is intriqued, but not interested enough to actively participate in investigating what would be the MOST perfect boat for us. I am hoping that after I take her and a bottle of wine and sail away on a local lake, she will be "bitten" and want to sail more and in different waters (The ocean). I have the utmost of respect and Love for my wife and I want her to not only accompany me, but to enjoy sailing as I do. That is why I am preparing as best I know how including seeking advice from the wise souls who so gratiously offer their advice here. Both men and women! And please be assured that your time and efforts are not wasted. Thanks to all of you once again.
No need to apologize. I just wanted to add a different perspective.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-15-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
BTW, why do you want a head door that locks?
I'm not the OP, but I can comment on this one.

My Catalina 18 had a port-o-potti that was simply in the saloon (if you could call it that); you had to close the companionway to use it. Not popular with the ladies.

My C25 has a real marine head, but it is behind a rattan (?) curtain that closes off the head and forward stateroom from the saloon. Better; a big step up; but still not quite enough.

My wife and sister-in-law (she's my BFF; I've known her forever) would really like a boat with a head that has a real, solid, actual door. It doesn't NEED to lock but I expect that it will be able to. I think that is what the OP (or his wife) is after.

To the original question:
This the boat I'm looking for as well. My answer so far is the Bristol 29.9 or Sabre 30. Small enough to single hand easily; big enough for a couple to spend a week cruising. You don't get 2 'real' staterooms until you get above 34 feet or so. That's a lot of boat. (In one of my comparisons the 30 was 8,800# the 34 was 14,000#)

My list:
Sloop - masthead rig
Skeg hung rudder - protected prop

Layout (from fwd going aft):
V-berth
Head
Traditional saloon with 2 settees that face each other
Galley & nav center
Quarterberth under one side of cockpit

That's the bones of the boat; equipping it is about 4 more threads

Ken

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 03-15-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

"Perfect boat?"

One that cleans itself, paints it's own hull and never needs repairs. It will also never heel too far, take on water or sink. Flat soles throughout, lots of warm, woody interior panels and endless storage lockers. It will have an engine that sips any fuel, plenty of room in the motor compartment and never need maintenance. Self-charging power source and more power than ever needed on tap.. at less-than-reasonable cost. The rigging never fails and the anchor never fouls. Always room for more and feels comfy with just one aboard. Bigger on the inside than out and never too large to fit a slip and not to small when it counts in weather. A blue-water, shoal-draft, lightweight and rock/bouy/dock proof gunk-holing hull is the ticket!

Is it possible... all-in-one?

I doubt it...but I'll take it !

Truthfully?? Find one that "speaks" to you. It *may* lie to you; but will be yours!
Old 03-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

dreamdoer, first, to quote John McClane, "Welcome to the party, pal."

Second- You gave us all sorts of insight in your opening post and your following posts, and while I applaud your romantic streak and your humility and your love for your wife, it appears it falls to me yet again to be the big meany and drag us all back to reality...
what is your budget??????
Until we know how much dosh you have to throw at this adventure, all of our "perfect boat" advice will be, sadly, imperfect.

Old 03-15-2013

moonshadow is on a distinguished road

Hi- some comments from Australia.

Listen to as many people as you can, sail on as many boats as you can and make a list of the things you like in a boat. You will not find a boat that has them all - all boats are a compromise in one way or another. Get your wife involved in the decision - the most important thing about our boat is that we sail it together.

My wife and I have a Cavalier 37, (New Zealand design, fin keel, fin rudder. The same boat that Kay Cottee used to completed the first solo, non stop, unassisted circumnavigation by a female). We raced dinghies for 30 years and have been cruising keelboats for 13 years. Our time on the boat includes day sailing, weekends away and extended cruises of between a couple of weeks and 6 months.

Some of the things we like about our boat are......

Fin Keel/fin rudder - you spend a lot of time in and around "things" and it is very nice to have an easily manouverable boat in those situations. Our boat turns on a sixpence, (or should I say dime?), and it is very controllable in reverse. We rate these features quite highly. The boat is also very seaworthy - the fact that Kay Cottee circumnavigated single handed in a Cav is what interested us in the boat in the first place.

Plotter, VHF radio and autohelm are all usable stood behind the wheel. If you are single handing, or the crew is asleep these things are not much use in the cabin. We have them mounted so that they can be turned up or down to reduce glare and also spun around so that they can be seen if you are on auto pilot, taking shelter from the weather under the dodger.

Hard dodger with glass widows. Plastic dodgers are much harder to see through than glass when they are covered in spray, especially at night.

Large cockpit. We love to sail in company with other boats and it's nice to have space for lots of visitors at 5 o'clock.

A well designed electrical system. Running out of power can be both annoying and dangerous. You need to try to reduce electrical demand as much as possible and make sure that there is sufficient charging going on to replace what is being used. (You can't solve problems just by having bigger batteries). We are able to stay at anchor for weeks on end without starting the engine to charge the batteries. Every light on our boat has an LED globe. The fridge is 12v/240v eutectic. We have 200 watts of solar panels and an airX wind generator.

Reasonable capacity in water/fuel tanks. We carry 400 litres of water and 100 litres of fuel plus another 100 in jerries.

Furling genoa. On a 5 month circumnavigation of Tasmania, which included 2 months in the wilderness, (no shops, no fuel), we only used the main sail about 20% of the time. For most of the time, just exploring and doing short hops, it was so convenient to just unfurl the genoa and then pull the rope to put it away again. We also have a whisker pole mounted on a track on the mast which we use to pole out the genoa when running down wind. The pole is just the right length so that we can furl the genoa with the pole still out. This enables us to get rid of the sail quickly in an emergency, but also to easily control the speed of the boat when running down wind.

A good anchor, plenty of chain and a nice anchor winch. We have a SARCA Excel anchor one size bigger than recomended, 50 metres of 8mm chain and a Maxwell anchor winch. (And there is an extension beeper mounted in my bunk about six inches from ear so that if the anchor alarm on the plotter goes off I hear it).

There are probably lots of other things that we take for granted that I can't think of right now. Hope this helps - good luck with your purchase - there's nothing better than mucking around in boats, especially if your wife is there.

Cheers - Phil