Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013
Fly Fishing Maniac

WindyFly is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on the Perfect Boat Please

Just to add to what everyone else has stated.... and keep in mind I'm as far away from someone to take advice on when it comes to purchasing a "perfect" vessel. All I can say is, do a little triage, a.k.a. what is most important to you. Nice head, storage room, ease of use, ocean worrthy, cruising, draft..... the perfect boat for me, might be far from the perfect boat for you. As the old adage goes, What is right for me, might not be right for you. Seriously think about what YOU want from a boat, and what you are willing to compromise.... or your significant other is willing to compromise as well, and go from there. You will have to give up on some things, but you get used to it. Think about the first house/apartment you lived in on your own. Probably not a good backyard, dining room, nice floors, good location, but it worked right? List things in order of importance and if you get 4/5 of your top 10, your probably in good shape. My perfect boat would have ample room for fishing gear storage, shallow draft, large dining area, be able to go underway with one person at the helm, be blue water capable, and not cost an arm and a leg..... the thing is, that it really doesn't exist, so making compromises is very, VERY important. Trust the senior members on this forum, and take their advise to heart. Hope you find exactly what you need, and have fun out there!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013

dreamdoer is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Advice on the Perfect Boat Please

Thank you all for your advice. More specifics as to what my wife (W) and what I (I) would want in a sailboat;
Full head –W
Not tender -W@I
Safe-W@I
Comfortable for 2 for up to a month when coastal hopping (Mainly to sleep on and get from point A to B) W@I And yes I know this is relative, but the wife and I are very compatible and really like being within touching distance (Yes we are blessed and still sickeningly like newlyweds after 7+ years)
Well suited to single handed sailing-I
Capable of sailing to Bermuda- definitely I
Capable of being transported to my home town 60 miles inland so I can work on her in the winter without having to take out a second mortgage (Yes I am a jack of almost all trades and I prefer to do things myself whenever possible)-I
A hull design with a rudder that won’t catch stray lines or kelp or if it does, be easy to remove and clean without diving overboard.-I
Smaller rather than larger for overall manageability while still being “comfortable”.-I
Budget? $500-W
Budget?-I Hmmmmmmmmmm Not to be trite or circumspect, but I will spend whatever is necessary to get a boat that I feel will “reasonably” fit the bill. Lets say that right now I can’t envision spending more than $25,000 for the basic boat (used obviously) with more money after to equip her as I see fit. I am much more of a minimalist than the wife and I have to guard against the Viking/Spartan influence of my genes. I will not cut corners on safety. What am I leaning towards after much research and advice from wonderful and experienced people such as yourself?
LOA-up to 35 feet
Beam-? I don’t mind paying the extra for a wide load permit.
Tiller stearing
Keel-Full or modified full, perhaps a fin with transom or skeg hung rudder if I can be convinced.
All and every possible safety item (I know there are no guarantees, but I could never forgive myself if something terrible happened to my wife).
So am I nuts? Am I an unrealistic dreamer? I honestly want to know because I am determined and capable of taking tough advice and “altering my course”.
Wow that was cathartic!
Thank you all again for your time and efforts.
Old 03-16-2013

dreamdoer is on a distinguished road

OOps!
Capable of sailing to Bermuda- definitely I
I live in Massachusetts (Big difference than if I lived in Melbourne Australia right? LOL)
Old 03-16-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

would never buy a boat the admiral did not steer (sight lines),tack (ergonomics of how the winch handle lines up to her body- for short people not beng able to get over the winch makes it hard), lie down on the berths (with me-grin), use the head, go through the galley and say-"I love it" on the drive home.

still have wife. She makes all the major decisions - I only type up the menu. Seriously we both then own the boat. Makes changing out the duckbill valve in the head a two person job.

?Why a tiller. Takes up a lot of cockpit real estate and once you cruise a bit you may find like many you try to spend a little time as possible steering.
jimgo likes this.
Old 03-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Alberg 30.
It may not be convenient to trailer, but it fits the rest of your needs.
As per hauling a big boat home to work on it, it makes much more sense to haul the parts of the boat home you wish to work on, and haul yourself to the boat for big projects. a decent used roadworthy trailer will set you back over $3500, and then you need to buy a vehicle capable of towing 12-15000 lbs. if you don't already own one.
It's a whole lot cheaper to travel back and forth with a generator and an old van full of tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Alberg 30 - a fine little vessel but not for someone with claustrophobia.
If you could stand living in a toothpaste tube for a month, well worth looking at.
Old 03-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

So, you're looking for a trailerable boat that can make the run to Bermuda? Or are you looking for a boat that you could have professionally hauled to your home? Have you explored the costs associated with having a pro do such a move twice a year? At only 60 miles, it MIGHT equal the winter storage costs somewhere, for one leg of the trip. For example, my Catalina 25 was trailered about 50 miles, and that cost me $500. A bigger boat, with a bigger beam, would have been more. If there are weight limits, width limits on roads/bridges, etc., that could come into play, you may be looking at even more cost each time the boat is moved. If you're OK with that, then that's great, just trying to set your expectations appropriately. Otherwise, you're back to looking at something that is trailerable, and there aren't a lot of trailerable boats that will safely and comfortably make a run to Bermuda, especially when you define trailerable as a boat that can be towed by a conventional SUV (as opposed to a dual-axle F350 or the like, unless you already happen to have one of those, in which case you just MIGHT be able to get away with this!).

Again, I'm not trying to be a downer here; sorry if I come across that way. I'm just trying to make sure you're understanding the issues I see. The right boat may be out there, and I'm sure the crew here will give you some great suggestions.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

norsea 27

trailable
seaworthy
tiller
aft berths

BCC28 Bristol Channel Cutter might be your "perfect" boat but it's way out of budget
Old 03-17-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

You've gotten a lot of good advice, especially on including your wife in the process--and it appears you are getting her input--and considering a boat that is suited to the sailing you'll do most often. If you haven't read them already, you also might want to consider locating copies of some books on the boat choice topic, such as:

"Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere" by John Vigor

"Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere" by Gregg Nestor and John Vigor

"The Best Used Boat Notebook" by Jack Kretschmer

I'm not suggesting you will find "The Answer" in these books, but I think they may help you appreciate the variety of issues that the authors' consider and compare and thus may help you further identify the issues that are key for you and your wife.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 03-17-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

The perfect boat for me has always been the next boat.
I'm not saying finding it ahead of time (now) isn't achievable, but doing so is more compromise than searching.
It also takes true consensus when more than one person is involved.
I mean true consensus in the purest form, not just "I can live with it" but "I accept that and will not complain about it later" type consensus.

There are hundreds of boat designs out there and dozens will fit all your needs.
Find one that meets all your needs and most of your wants, then start looking for the next perfect boat.
chef2sail likes this.