SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Inflatable kayak on board (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/97638-inflatable-kayak-board.html)

davidpm 03-17-2013 10:09 AM

Inflatable kayak on board

How many of you carry an inflatable kayak either instead of or in addition to the dinghy.
If there is more than one person aboard and you are anchored out and someone want to go ashore with just one dinghy the rest of the people are stranded on the boat.

It seems like an inflatable kayak doesn't take much room and might be a good "second car". What do you thing?

wingNwing 03-17-2013 10:53 AM

Re: Inflatable kayak on board

We have one. it's wonderful, stowable as you describe, and a lot of fun to glide around silently getting up close and personal with the shore birds in a way a noisy, heavy RIB just can't. Ours has the added benefit of a clear bottom, so we can look right down at the fish as we go. The practical reality is that it's a PITA to inflate just to go ashore, though, and quite a struggle to travel in any kind of wind or current (compared to a good quality hard kayak). We think of it as more toy than transportation...but wouldn't go without it.

That said, we haven't needed the "second car" option in our cruising yet, we tend to just spend all our time together. (Saccharine, isn't it? :) )

brokesailor 03-17-2013 11:01 AM

Inflatable kayak on board

I have two WM's but only one of them on board. It's much easier to fill and deploy than my 9'6" Achilles. Getting in and out from the ladder off the side of my Crealock though is another story.

MikeOReilly 03-17-2013 11:36 AM

advanced element yaks

We're planning on getting a couple of Advanced Element kayaks; likely the Advanced Frame convertible. Anyone have experience with these? They appear to be approaching the effectiveness of real sea kayaks.

captbillc 03-17-2013 12:17 PM

i have a 10ft fold boat which folds to 4" X 24" . the beam is 5ft . i use a 4hp outboard. i stow it along the lifelines on my 30ft sailboat.

FinallySailing 03-17-2013 01:15 PM

We have one inflatable kayak as our sole dinghy to accompany us on our adventures. For the costs of a much smaller inflatable, at over 4 meters long it seemed to be a much better choice. It rolls up into the size of smallish bag for storage, is lightweight and paddling is so much more fun than rowing !

DRFerron 03-17-2013 02:25 PM

We watched our slip neighbors successfully use their Sea Eagle inflatable kayak for a few years before we finally bought our own last fall. It fits easily in a locker.

zeehag 03-17-2013 03:25 PM

i have an inflatable kayak--stearns, in my stbd hold.....i dont use it much, as i have 2 rigid kayaks also, and a walker bay8 and a newly acquired redcrest9 that needs a lil work....

DRFerron 03-17-2013 03:33 PM

Zee, are you taking up dinghy collecting as a hobby? :)

zeehag 03-17-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 1003795)
Zee, are you taking up dinghy collecting as a hobby? :)

only one more--an older avon roll up inflatable in decent shape, with wood floor. 9'4in
dont need seat. will trade spinnaker for it-is a gorgeous spinnaker --