Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

justflie is on a distinguished road
Re: I've become very concerned about the weather...

Just a point of clarification, excluding the panhandle, Florida is not the South. It's a lot of RI and NJ transplants. I grew up in RI and half the state has Florida license plates because they're down there so much!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post
.....I grew up in RI and half the state has Florida license plates because they're down there so much!
Common to most Northeast states, as snowbirds move there permanent residency to FL to avoid the highest State income taxes in the Union. Must spend 6 months plus one day there and be able to prove it, but that not really a burden. Cell records and credit cards are easy for you to prove you are there, but also for another State to prove you weren't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-21-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post
Just a point of clarification, excluding the panhandle, Florida is not the South. It's a lot of RI and NJ transplants. I grew up in RI and half the state has Florida license plates because they're down there so much!
Yeah, I was there a long time ago and I really liked the keys. I know it's a different world than Mississippi. I'm just scared because it still is technically the south and alot of scary stories come out of Florida.

I used to listen to this radio show called loveline, and they had a funny segment called Germany or Florida, where they told about a crazy news item, and you had to guess where it happened.
I think the interior might be weird.

Hell, I don't know, everyone I've ever met, says Miami is so dangerous. I just want California from the 80's back really, so I'm trying to find a place to replace it and there isn't one.
Old 03-21-2013
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road

I've been staying on Whidbey island (which is just south of the San Juan's) for the past week and its been blowing pretty good nnw. We did however see a few boats out Saturday when we stopped in Seattle on the way here. The advice to check the Friday Harbor weather is good. My experience is its quite different than Seattle.
Old 03-21-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If you come to seattle satruday, there should be 60 or so racing south to three tree point, and back to shilshoal! Final of three Center SOund series races. Then April has something just about every weekend, with the 2nd saturday being one of the larger race, Sloop taverns Blakely rock benifit regatta, usually around 120-130 or so going from shilshoal to blakely rock and back. Something every weekend thru the end of june if you played your card correctly!

Yes it has been blowing a bit. i went across the narrows bride, bloing around 30 out of the south, later took the ferry from Bainbridge island to seattle, blowing out of the north at 20 or so. Calm in Port townsend, altho the wnd was out of the north!

Funky weather week, typical spring! Heck, I even had snow on the ground for a mile or so south of port townsend, with sun in PT, and south of there! Name the weather, I had it, found it etc. today!

Marty
Old 03-25-2013
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road

It was 50's today and sunny on Whidbey. Absolutely beautiful. Would have been an awesome day to go sailing. Had to settle for hanging out on the beach.
Old 03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedsooner View Post
It was 50's today and sunny on Whidbey. Absolutely beautiful. Would have been an awesome day to go sailing. Had to settle for hanging out on the beach.
When I was in Edmonds, and crossed the 520 bridge on LK Washington, the water was pretty dang flat! a bit o wind, not enough to sail......waterski on the other hand. Boo ya!
Old 03-26-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I had a great time sailing last Saturday. Blue skis, 6 knots of wind (enough to get my Pearson moving at about 4 knots) and starting to get warm. A friend and I sailed from Shilshole across to Port Madison, did some anchoring practice (sailing on and off of the anchor), hung out on the hook and ate some food, then headed back. We did have to motor part of the way back due to schedule and winds that got very light after 4pm.

The long range forecast for this weekend is also looking pretty awesome. I'm probably doing an overnighter on Friday night to take advantage of it.
Old 03-26-2013

Alex,

Nice to knowyou got some sailing in, the last of the 3 CYC races was canceled. I think 2 of 3 for lack of wind, or not everyone could finish..........not a great series this year. Meanwhile, a few yrs back, the scatchet head race (2) had a few dozen sail repair/blow outs, 2 groundings, one man overboard, broken boom........fun day ont he water that day it were! I hit 11 some odd knots with main and 110 up! The Carr hit in the low 20's from what I recall from a crew member!

Marty
Old 03-26-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I was at the start of the second one, where we floated around for 3 hours waiting for wind before going back in. This third one they at least started, but the wind was much lighter south of Seattle and few boats made it to the point. There is a long thread about this on Sailing Anarchy.

Hopefully the SYC Tri-Island has better luck with the weather. It looks like they get more people signing up for the casual/cruiser class so I'm planning on racing in that series. The CYC CSS only had one casual/cruiser boat per race, which isn't much of a race...