Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: I've become very concerned about the weather...

If I could get a crew, I would do the cruise triisland, only because there is more 180-220 rated boats. I'm at 195. Not fun racing the mid/short on if you are 195, next slowest is 150-160, all you look at is transoms! 20 miles is plenty of race for 8 yrs, vs 35 for 12, or 80 for 36hrs in the sound.

Got signed up for the BRBR the other night, so will be down that way in 2 weeks too, then off to opening day dressed up and may do the mark mayer race sunday ont he lake. ANother fun weekend of racing, is ap 20, 21 out of meydenbauer YC. free moorage, neat welcome dinner friday, formal sat eve. food at the awards on sunday. usually pull off 3 races saturday and 1 on sunday with time to still get home.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 03-27-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Awesome forecast for the Easter weekend here this year!.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-02-2013

hasuehounds is on a distinguished road

Not every one has crew or wants it, on a 40'caliber LRC where would I out them?
On Easter weather. Easter holiday is celebrated from
Holy Thursday to Easter Monday. Most stores shop and services are closed
As its a government holiday
The weather on the west side of the island sucked
It has rained on and off for 3 days. Once it clears you open a hatch
Get some fresh air only to have to run up top
To close them as heavy rain again starts.
It has not been fun! In Lindberg bay we've had Easter
Spring break parties that have lasted till 2 am with canned music
Today the music is over, no air traffic from the airport and it's quiet
Finally.... Yes most times the weather is lovely but not this year at this time.
We wondered if tropical low/front moved in creating
This unpleasant weekend..
As for predicting weather I've learned to watch bouy weather
And travel with the time frame that is green
You can't predict it and you have to learn to live with it
No matter where you are
Btw we've had 3 ft swells for two days, yes it's been uncomfortable!!!
Paradise isn't always what you daydream it is!
Old 04-06-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

So far the weather has been pretty terrible. It was nice the first two days and then it has been cloudy and cool-cold. And there has been either no wind whatsoever or 30mph wind and son like right now.
I really hope may is better. It's such a beautiful place and when it was sunny my there were snow capped mountains in the distance and you could see for miles. Well it hasn't been that long but the forecast looks grim. I'm liking it and I know it's early. But for such a "sailboat" place, the weather is so bad that not many people go sailing. Almost nobody except for Wednesday and Friday races and even then almost nobody.

The weather is definitely prohibitive to doing too much. Which is a shame because it is such a beautiful place.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 04-06-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I wrote a long reply that Sailnet ate.

Summary:
The weather in PNW is very dynamic at this time of year and long range weather forecasts are nearly useless (but getting better thanks for a new long range weather radar). Pay a lot of attention to the next couple of days out, but little attention to the forecast beyond that.

The weather.gov (NOAA) and other weather sites do a poor job of picking icons for weather forecasts. Read the text, ignore the icons. For instance Tuesday has a 30% chance of rain and if it does rain it will be about 5 hundredths of an inch of rain (barely anything). NOAA is showing an icon for heavy rain, when they should just show one for clouds. Learn to use the hourly weather forecast on weather.gov, it's generally pretty accurate day of.

Port Townsend is a breezy place with unobstructed access to the Strait. The San Juan Islands are often sunnier and are almost always less breezy. Seattle is about as cloudy, but less breezy. Spring is about the breeziest time of year. It brings out more sailors (not cruisers) and more big races than summer.

It's two weeks into spring.

Most people work weekdays, so there are less boats on the water then. Last weekend there were tons of boats out of Shilshole on both Saturday and Sunday. I haven't seen so many empty slips since moving into Shilshole in early Fall.

Cliff Mass and Jeff Renner's books are PNW Weather are interesting and available at many used book stores around here. They will give you more insight into local weather patterns.

It's sunny, blue skies, and breezy in North Seattle right now while NOAA tells me there should be 95% cloud coverage. I don't get too hung up on weather forecasts.
Old 04-06-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Next saturday willbe a race off of shilshoal that usually has 100-130 boats in it. Many from shilshoal, but a lot from outside the marina too. I'd swag at least a 1/3 come from outside marina's. There was 50 registered as of last night.

You learn to go out no matter the weather around here, and enjoy the day. Ihave RC duty off of edmonds tomorrow. Not sure what the weather is at the moment. last year it was 15-25, we did a south end of edmonds to meadow point to the south, as we had the wind etc for that long a race. Did not want to set up a buoy race which was on the doc. Same as tomorrow.

SHould get busier as the summer goes on, then wanes about october to november.

Marty
Old 04-06-2013

I think seattle has better weather than here. The forecast usually calls for slightly warmer. Sorry. Just getting a little frustrated because tree are so many things I want to do. But can't because I'm cold and wet all the time.

It's cloudy here and no wind. J was ok the first couple days when the highs were high 50's low 60's. but now it's low 50's and becoming highs in the upper 40's.

I just feel so wet. And I want some wind. It's light and variable winds and a chance for thunderstorms producing hail. I got depressed because I looked at the Friday harbor average weather for may-sept. it's really only nice June through August with the maximum daily high at 71 with 23% clouds in July.

I'm sorry your post got lost. That happens to me sometimes.
Old 04-06-2013

Ok in stead of complaining about it ill do something about it.

I looked up the Seattle forecast side by side with port townsend and Seattle is definitely nicer. I wish they would stop that lie the tourism board over here keeps peddling about the Olympic mountains blocking the rain and clouds and how here ip to the San Juan's are sunny 267 days a year and dry. Probably sunny 80 day but I digress.

I called shilshole, Elliot bay and poulsbo. Elliot was 390 for a month to put me in the smallest slip they had, a 32. Which is fine. Shilshole said full but call a moorage coordinator Monday. Poulsbo will hook me up for less than 200 and ill still be a ferry ride from Seattle I I want to hang out in the city.

Any advice in these or other marinas for me to continue waiting for cruisin weather? I'd also have to get back here to get my car somehow. Do you know of a bus or anything? It some combination of biking and ferries might work if I could keep it under 40 miles.

Time to take action. PT is cool but its just too sleepy and cloudy with less places to go and no wind I get there. So somewhere by Seattle would be for the best. Ill meet more people and go out on races and have a lot more fun. Thanks as always for the advice.
Old 04-06-2013
always busy with sailing

You can bus and bike to Port Townsend pretty easily. Look up Kitsap County Transit for the services over there.

If you are interested in Lake Union there is a shallow short slip in front of my old Catalina 25 that might take you month by month. I can get the contact information for you. It is $185/mo, which I think is about the cheapest moorage anywhere. At this time of year it will take you a little over an hour to get out of the locks. Liveaboard might not be an option though, and it doesn't have electricity.

Shilshole has an empty slip available at the very end of the S-dock (I know this because I'm also on the S dock), but might be full on liveaboard status. If you'll only be there for a month I wonder if you should just lie about that status. They do require insurance. It is probably slip S-2, and it should be about $250/mo for your boat. Some of the 30' slips on S-dock also recently opened up, but maybe they've already found people for them.

My next race is on 4/27, if you are in Seattle then send me an email and I can put you on the crew list.

You should also check Seattle Craigslist for slip sublets. It's not quite the right time of year for them, but some may show up.
Old 04-06-2013
always busy with sailing

Also, the nice blue sky here disappeared around 11, and now it's dumping rain.