SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Caribbean Draft? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/97811-caribbean-draft.html)

vtsailguy 03-23-2013 12:47 PM

Caribbean Draft?

I am looking to get a boat that draft's ~7'

How limiting would that be in the Caribbean?

Mostly Bahamas and Virgin Isles...

Faster 03-23-2013 01:02 PM

Re: Caribbean Draft?

We've done the chain from StMaarten through Grenada including Barbuda on a boat with 7 feet of draft, a Bene 36.7. It really wasn't an issue anywhere except the odd spot here and there.. entering Spanish Bay in Barbuda required some pretty cautions conning, and it's an area that had to be avoided with big swells that would have diminished the 2-3 foot clearance to the bottom. Otherwise we pretty much anchored in 5-6 metres depths, which was no issue with the draft. The passages, unlike the Bahamas, are seriously deep water of course, so there's no draft issue then.

We were easily able to dock at Nelsons Dockyard stern to, despite the deep rudder too, and it was rare indeed that we 'snuck/felt' our way into an anchorage. However there were some pretty spots that we had to forego, but there was always a suitable spot nearby. (Ten Pound Bay on Antigua is amazing, but too tight and shallow - Ricketts off Green Island is nearby and deep - Ten Pound was an easy dinghy ride away)

If you find a nice boat with that draft, for that part of your voyaging it won't be a problem.

vtsailguy 03-23-2013 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info.

I was clearing into Cruz Bay last month and the customs anchor spot was only about 5-6'!

Faster 03-23-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtsailguy (Post 1006688)
Thanks for the info.

I was clearing into Cruz Bay last month and the customs anchor spot was only about 5-6'!

Yes, well it does depend on where you try to go.. Even in BC there are nooks you can't get into with 7 feet... I'm not saying there are NO limitations, just that I don't think it's a huge inconvenience on an on-going basis.

Zanshin 03-23-2013 01:09 PM

vtsailguy - that's true, and it is quite small and next to the channel; but you don't have to anchor there, you can anchor further out (which is what I do with my deep draft), or around the corner and dinghy in.

vtsailguy 03-23-2013 01:57 PM

True Zan....

Melrna 03-23-2013 02:08 PM

The Bahamas would be very limiting.

vtsailguy 03-23-2013 02:10 PM

Hi Melissa,
Could you expand on that :)

Zanshin 03-23-2013 02:38 PM

I've got 8 1/2 feet draft and will most likely not be cruising the Bahamas due to so many areas being off-limits or difficult/challenging due to draft there. So far only Anegada, at least the inner anchorage, is no longer viable and I will be rather careful when I go to Barbuda and will also be limited as to which anchorages I can use. But so far the main effect of my deep draft is that I will anchor further out than others and have a slightly longer dinghy ride to get to and from shore.

34crealock 03-23-2013 05:06 PM

How do we feel about 5 ft draft in the Bahamas?