Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Sky:
Batman, Adam West, aka Bruce Anderson, is my mother in law's cousin, from Walla Walla Wa. So, you could say we are related. I'm not making this up.

So you DO look like Batman, you must if you are related!

Makes me feel better since the image is fixed in my brain.

Besides, without the mask, I don't know what he looks like anyway.

Quote:
Sky:
I have a nice Warwick fretless too.
Hard to count the frets on that!

I'm not into fret counting, just was into the way the sound came through my guitar one day.

Hate to admit it, but I didn't know that the first one (12 fretter) I purchased had 12 frets, and I hadn't realized that necks came in different widths. I just lined up the best guitars in the shop, played them in a sound proof room, and took home the one I liked best. I was amazed that I lined them up in the order I liked them, and the prices turned out to be in the same order, proving to me that the builders know what they are doing. Later I realized I had an extra wide neck 12 fret. Much later I got one with a cutaway. My wife now plays the Martin I had with a narrow neck.

People sometimes ask me what model guitar I have, I also have to look in and read the label. Glad I'm not the only one, I can't keep all those numbers and letters straight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013

Tull plays a wind instrument. Shouldn't sailors prefer wind instruments over strings?
Old 10-18-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Sky:
Very funny. I ended up with a Larivee the same way. I just sat in the "expensive guitar room" and played them all. I finally came down to the Larivee. It was the most expensive. Bought it anyway and gave it to my son for Christmas. I just sent it back to Larivee for a repair. The bridge had split from side to side, straight through the middle of the pin holes. They replaced the bridge for very little money. I forget, maybe $50. I thought it was good service. My local luthier wanted $200 for the job. But if you inlcude the cost of shipping the guitar to Larivee and back I ended up paying $200 anyway.

My Dad always told me I was "thick as a brick" so there was not way I'd become a Tull fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
OM-28 Eric Clapton is a beautiful, high quality guitar. I almost purchased one myself.

I have fat fingers, and like wide necks, which may be why I didn't go for it. Wider necks are harder to play, but fat fingers make it too easy to get a buzz or mute when playing.

I also like 12 fret necks. I like to imagine that letting the body touch the neck at the point of harmonics disrupts the sound waves less. Wave reflections should stack in phase.

Doubtful it means anything, but it's all in fun!
I hear you. When carving a neck, I use 12 string width on a 6 string down at the nut. Some guitars, like some of the post 60s Gibsons have awfully tight string spacing. I gave my daughter my early 60s Hummingbird, never really liked how it sounded or how it played, mostly due to the tight neck width. I would love to bring a good guitar on the boat, I know exactly what Bob is saying, but there just isn't room for a full sized case with all the rest of the crap I have aboard. Going to make room for a fiddle this winter though.

Last edited by smurphny; 10-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2013
grumpy old man

Smurph:
Right. As much as I love that SJ200 the case is so big that to bring it on the PERRYWINKLE (if I still had it and I don't) would have been stupid. But I did 90% of my cruising by myself and the guitar got the quarter berth.

I've played several Hummingbirds. Never found one I liked. Never analyzed it but I never warmed up to that guitar. I'd say my JS200 neck is medium width. My Clapton Strats are silly skinny. But fun to play lead on. Impossible to chord on if you want to stay in tune.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-20-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Smurph:
Right. As much as I love that SJ200 the case is so big that to bring it on the PERRYWINKLE (if I still had it and I don't) would have been stupid. But I did 90% of my cruising by myself and the guitar got the quarter berth.

I've played several Hummingbirds. Never found one I liked. Never analyzed it but I never warmed up to that guitar. I'd say my JS200 neck is medium width. My Clapton Strats are silly skinny. But fun to play lead on. Impossible to chord on if you want to stay in tune.
Built a Tele recently, having become convinced that Brad Paisley must be the world's best guitar player and wanting to learn some of his licks:-). Made the body from boards cut from an Ash tree I cut down a few years ago, the neck from some really tight grained, quarter-sawn red cedar. Put Custom Shop electronics in it. Those thin, stretchy electric guitar strings definitely make keeping chords in tune virtually impossible but there are things the Fenders do that no other guitar can match. That "chicken pickin" sound seem to be synonymous with Fender. Bought a Taylor T5 a few years back, expecting maybe a good cross between acoustic and electric but it does neither really well although it is a really nice guitar to play. I'm sure it would not survive long on the boat.
Old 10-20-2013
grumpy old man

Smurph:
I decided I wanted a Tele a few yaers back. Called my nlocal music store and talked to the owner, my pal. He said they had a James Burton model just in. I said I want it and hold it for me. My pal said, "You'd better come look at it first." I did. It was black with a purple pick guard, triple pickups and all the metal parts were primer, flat black. It was not a pretty guitar. I told my pal I'd have to think about it. Thought about it for two weeks. Called my pal and said, "I'll take it, after seeing Burton back up Roy Orbison in the black and white special, he played a duel pickup model. My buddy said, "It's sold." Not sure I'll ever have a Tele now.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-20-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

Bob,
It's amazing how much different the Tele is from the Strat. The density of the thick Ash body on a Tele creates a distinct sound. I wired the one I built with a four position switch which allows the pickups to be hooked in series as a fourth sound option, although it increases hum, which is always an issue with these. I lined all the cavities with lead sheathing to cut hum down to a minimum.
Old 10-20-2013

Batman Perry, It's been years but I remember when trying out guitars a Larivee (made in Canada IIRC) and a Santa Cruz were among the finalists. The owner put me in the special room and brought in all his finest guitars for me to try. I was surprised to be treated so well. Maybe he smelled woodsmoke and knew I wouldn't go back to the hills without a new guitar -special and rare trip to the city.

I finally settled on a vintage series Martin, model ???? or something like that. Had the wide neck, 12 frets, and the strange classical guitar headstock, with the closed tuning pegs and the winding knobs on the rear. A learning experience for me. A keeper.

Smurph, very cool that you built a guitar from a tree that you cut yourself!! I admire stuff like that. Not surprised that a sailor would use lead to ballast his guitar.
Old 10-20-2013
grumpy old man

I have a buddy who has that Martin. Nice small guitar. Sometimes you just pick one up that immediately speaks to you. That's the way it was when I found my Jazz Bass. Two plunks and I took it home.

I was very lucky. For years a guy I played with regularily owned a chain of music stores in the PNW, American Music. This gained me the buddy discount and that was often about 50% off retail. This made saying "NO!" difficult at times. But I look around the room and see too many guitars that don't get played. They need new strings. I'll sit down one Saturday and change them all. I need an in house guityar tech.

I think my reluctance to buy a Tele is the fear that I won't be able to get that signature Tele sound out of it myself. I'm no James Burton. But I have another playing buddy who has a nice one. He never plays it. Maybe I'll swap him my PRS for a while and see if I like it. He does like my PRS.

I think I'll take a pic of my PRS. You guys should see it. I traded Paul some design work for a guitar. He asked me, "Would you be intertested in trading some design work for a guitar?" I thought about it for .5 seconds and said "Yes!" Smart move on my part.
Attached Thumbnails
do you carry an acoustic Guitar?-prs-small.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 10-20-2013 at 12:28 PM.