Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

Google "carbon fiber acoustic guitar" and see what you get.
I don't know specifically how good cf guitars are, but cf cellos are very good, can be played under water and take a beating with no discernable damage. Last weekend I watched a student play his cf cello for a professional ensemble and they did not realize that he was playing on a "plastic" instrument, even though one of them was on a cf cello. Most of the cf cellos sound like cellos, whereas the electric ones sound like synthesizer music.
As to price, cf guitars at <$2k are a really good deal. Cf cellos start at $7k, but then everything cello is more expensive, like $200 for one string!
ps. high humidity will eventualy take a toll on any wood instrument. The humidity will dampen the sound and the instrument will loose some of its brilliance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013

vikingthunder is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess I am going to try some of the humidity control things for in case, and perhaps try to find some for the boat in general. i only have one Guitar, a Santa Cruz cowboy singer, and I am not willing to let go of it when I move aboard, it just sounds too amazing.

We shall see how things go as time progresses.
Old 03-28-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road

From a professional guitarist: (Gibson J-150 acoustic electric big Dreadnought body: $3,000.00 acoustic guitar.
rule #1 for expensive acoustic guitars: 'Never leave them where a normal human being would feel uncomfortable' In other words...don't leave it in a hot trunk unless you yourself wouldn't mind sleeping in that hot trunk. Don't leave it outside in the garage when it is cold, etc.
Treat your guitar like a person when it comes to where it 'lives', (where you keep it or store it).
Now, the trick with keeping it on a boat is that the climate fluctuates so much especially regarding temperature. The industry does have some products that are good humidity issues but depending on where you sail there can be way too much humidity and in Florida/Tropics the temperature can get really hot.....so, it is a challenge but the posts from the D'Addario guy is real good. The challenge is not always the humidity it is the high (or low) temperatures.

Some ideas:
-wipe the guitar down after use ALWAYS
-keep it in a good, padded guitar case where it is packed in tight. Keep a gel pac in it if in the humid tropics.
-leave the most expensive guitar at home and just bring the cheaper ones on the boat so you don't have to be freaked out about your guitar getting ****** up. (which it will if you dont nurse it)
-bring a good tuner
-keep the guitar OUT of the salt air at ALL costs.
-Me, I love my Gibson but I would rather take a less expensive Takamine on the boat. I have a Guild that has been so abused I wouldnt care. But, if you have a really nice expensive acoustic guitar that you really care about.....beware of bringing it on any extended sail cruise...especially in hot weather. The heat on the day that you are at the pub enjoying the day will produce wood that is bent and warped and your guitar will be TOAST.
jerryrlitton likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2013

Unfortunately, I have no place on land to leave it, as I am not leaving anything behind. I am moving on to the boat to live aboard. I will have to be careful as to where I leave her, but the Guitar comes with me, and I guess we see what happens.

May have to have a Fan vented compartment to leave the case in or something, so it never gets too hot.

Going to be a learning experience, we will see how things go.
Old 03-28-2013

I ordered a good Thermometer/hygrometer, and some Instrument desiccant bags, and a humidity control package that was mentioned earlier. I guess we will see how things go, and I will report back periodically on how things turned out.
Old 03-28-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Forgot to mention when I leave the guitar in the gig bag I have a bag with cedar chips that I place in the sound hole to absorb the additional humidity in the PNW when I leave it unattended... in Savannah I would do the opposite by having cedar chips with some humidity that allows the guitar not to get too dry... a humidifier in the case works just as well.
Old 03-28-2013
Advocate777

Advocate777 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate your promise to update us- I also am aganonizing because I REALLY want to bring my Gibson...so, whatever workd for you, brother musician, please pass it along because I know so many of us will appreciate it. Every problem has a solution so let's help eachother as musicians are a special breed and so are sailors...where there is a will there is a way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2013

jaymckay is on a distinguished road

yes i do it is a must have
Old 03-28-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

I've been carrying my Morgan 6 string on various boats for months at a time for about 10 years. It lives in a hardshell case and the case stays out of direct sunlight. I don't use any type of humidity control system and have had no problems so far knock on wood.
Morgans are made in the Vancouver area so I figure it is used to moisture in its environs.
Elixir strings. She stays in tune well but I use a tuner anyway, primarily due to my lousy ears.
Old 03-29-2013

Cawarra Bill is on a distinguished road

Im on the cheap guitar side of fence.... Doubt I would ever risk an expensive Tak or Gibson on any kind of enviro where it might get wet....sat on....crushed.... or whatever.. Fender makes a great acoustic for cheap that we keep on the boat for jam sessions....ya it sometimes lacks a full bodied sound but it keeps the fingers busy.....and people still sing along to it...... Was thinking of bringing my steel doboro for a trip..... worried about rust