Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

Just looked up on ebay - carbon fiber guitars... um... you friend looking for more friends? Geesh... That much money, I'd be buying a high end Martin (and I live just minutes from their factory, shipping would be cheap!).

What we've determined is sailing and stringed instruments seem to go hand and hand.

Bob P, I live to integrate computers, network, and have to know everything technology has to offer, and frankly, NOTHING BUT NOTHING beats a great acoustic instrument. I am too darn old to consider myself an audiophile (my high end hearing has waned considerably)... but I am not immune to the differences between natural sound, and synthetic. With my EE education, nobody can convince me that Digital is more precise than analog, there is a reason why they call it "digital sampling."

Sorry am I bordering on "political?" Analog versus digital is a very HOT topic.

For the record I have been playing guitar for 30 years, and still stink! I can't sing either... doesn't stop me from torturing others from time to time. Trick is to wait until they are too drunk to care.
Old 07-21-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Schnool:
I am sold on the sound of vinyl and I have a very serious lp playback system. I also have two high end CD players. There are great sounding cd's and there are poor sounding lp's but my hearing is still acute and when I want to listen I choose an lp. I am lucky in that there are very good sources today for new vinyl and a rummage throgh the used record store is always great fun.

But, I noticed yesterday that a package of pipe cleaners I had left on the boat for a couple of years was badly "rusted". They could have been on the boat three years. But as I looked at the corrosion I wondered about having a nice electric guitar on board and the effect on the wiring. Can't be good.

CF guitars:
Rainsong sent me one of their expensive carbon guitars to try for a few months. It was a beautiful axe and it played very well. But it sounded pretty bad, thin and brittle sounding. I could have bought it at an attractive price but for the same money there are way too many nice timber guitars available. I sent it back. But, it sure was pretty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Having built a substantial number of guitars and violins, it is very apparent that the sound of an instrument comes from the mysterious quality of the wood. The classical Italian makers in Cremona saved wood for their grandchildren. Wood less than 50 years old was considered no good yet for making fiddles. The tonal qualities of wood, as far as I've been able to glean, are not at all understood. Age is one factor. They cannot be duplicated in graphite and epoxy resin. There is a tremendous difference between species of spruce and maple. Even the elevation at which they grow and on which side of a mountain is important. The ear is the only tool to gauge the tonal quality of pieces of wood used to construct instruments.
Plastic guitars are BLASPHEMY! Computer mass produced guitars like Taylors are acceptable, though nothing to write home about unless you're lucky enough to get one that happened to be made from a good piece of tonewood. The older hand-made Martins and Gibsons were made from old stands of timber by craftsmen who really knew their trade. There are still excellent builders around but that kind of wood is simply not available anymore at any price. Those old guitars are the best of the American acoustics.
Instrument making is really an art form comprising so many areas of knowledge and skill. I've constructed violins exactly to the dimensions and graduations of Strads from CAT scans of those old instruments from good materials. They do not sound like real Strads. It's in the wood and the ability of the maker to use each piece of wood to its potential. Bow-making is another area of wood mysticism.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-23-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2013

cranki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Having built a substantial number of guitars and violins, it is very apparent that the sound of an instrument comes from the mysterious quality of the wood. The classical Italian makers in Cremona saved wood for their grandchildren. Wood less than 50 years old was considered no good yet for making fiddles. The tonal qualities of wood, as far as I've been able to glean, are not at all understood. Age is one factor. They cannot be duplicated in graphite and epoxy resin. There is a tremendous difference between species of spruce and maple. Even the elevation at which they grow and on which side of a mountain is important. The ear is the only tool to gauge the tonal quality of pieces of wood used to construct instruments.
Plastic guitars are BLASPHEMY! Computer mass produced guitars like Taylors are acceptable, though nothing to write home about unless you're lucky enough to get one that happened to be made from a good piece of tonewood. The older hand-made Martins and Gibsons were made from old stands of timber by craftsmen who really knew their trade. There are still excellent builders around but that kind of wood is simply not available anymore at any price. Those old guitars are the best of the American acoustics.
Instrument making is really an art form comprising so many areas of knowledge and skill. I've constructed violins exactly to the dimensions and graduations of Strads from CAT scans of those old instruments from good materials. They do not sound like real Strads. It's in the wood and the ability of the maker to use each piece of wood to its potential. Bow-making is another area of wood mysticism.
True. However, I have played a carbon fiber guitar that sounded better than my cheap, wooden Epiphone. My Guild sounds different and better than it did when I bought it new 33 years ago. All my good/gigging guitars are worth in the $500-600 range, but a couple have more value to me just because they have been in the family, so to speak, for so long. I think I would rather invest in some plastic and take a hit on tone than take a chance on ruining my babies.
Old 08-14-2013

talltorpedo is on a distinguished road

If I were to keep a guitar aboard a sailboat, I would consider monetary risk, durability, size and tonal quality in that order. After all, if you were mostly interested in tonal quality you would keep your good guitar aboard. If you were only interested in durability you might want an $900 composite acoustic. I had an $80 Harmony parlor guitar that I banged around for about a decade before it fell apart. When I went to replace it the salesman showed me a $290 baby Martin “travel/parlor” guitar made out of high pressure laminate (the same material used to make flooring) and I was sold. The tone is great for such a robust guitar (I have been rough with it and it shows no damage). Martin also makes a “backpacker” guitar which is incredibly small and fun to play but the tonal quality suffers from the small dimensions. Taylor makes a “travel/parlor” guitar but not without a solid wooden top. Alright, I’m a martin fan, so you might be surprised to find that I would not keep one on my sailboat (I like my “baby Martin” too well). Monetary risk being my primary consideration, I would buy a $99 six string yamaha GL1 ukulele/guitalele and keep it sealed in a plastic bag with one of those humidity packets. It’s smaller than a “travel/parlor” guitar, has that cheerful ukulele tone, uses the same fingering and chords as a guitar (only in a different key) and I think the nylon strings exert less pressure on the neck during storage. If/when anything happened to it I would just buy a new one. Hope this helps.
Do a youtube search under "Yamaha Guitalele Review - How does it sound?"
(I'm not allowed to post any links yet)
Old 08-14-2013
grumpy old man

Life is way too short to play a poor sounding guitar. It's music! It's all about sound!
Attached Thumbnails
do you carry an acoustic Guitar?-bob-shreds.jpg  
smurphny, RonRelyea and skygazer like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 08-14-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
True. However, I have played a carbon fiber guitar that sounded better than my cheap, wooden Epiphone. My Guild sounds different and better than it did when I bought it new 33 years ago. All my good/gigging guitars are worth in the $500-600 range, but a couple have more value to me just because they have been in the family, so to speak, for so long. I think I would rather invest in some plastic and take a hit on tone than take a chance on ruining my babies.
It's certainly not true that just because it's wood, it'll sound good. Some wood is tonally dead.

It really is amazing how time changes the resonance of a guitar or any stringed instrument. One of my best sounding guitars is an old Gibson small body guitar that was my grandfather's. It was built around 1930, has been sat on, crushed and repaired, abused, and resembles a Willy Nelson guitar:-) There's something aging does that no one has been able to reproduce.

No way would I keep an expensive guitar on the boat for many reasons. An expensive bauble is an invitation to theft, the possibility of water/excess humidity damage, and lack of good storage space are all reasons to keep a more expendable axe on board.
Old 08-14-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

I bought a 12 string new cheap guitar and shipping less than 99$. Sounds ok
not like the Alvarez that walked away. It took a bridge DR to keep it playing but it probably wont last long once I get my first boat. Cheap guitar replace as needed.
Old 08-14-2013
grumpy old man

I like great guitars. My Guild D-50 is now 47 years old. People are lined up waiting for me to die so they can inherit it. I have Martins, Larivees and I have custom accoustic guitars but at this time my new Gibson JS200 is my favorite axe. Next year it might be something else. But now I enjoy seeing my friend's faces light up when they tap into that thunder of the JS200.

I agree with Smurph. Time is very beneficial to some guitars. My Guild is a perfect example.

It's very personal. I have no need to argue guitars. There is no argument. I know what I like and that's that. When I sit down to play whether it be in my office, my living room or any boat in any port. I want one of my great guitars. I need all the help I can get.

Come on up to my beach shack. We can pick a while.
Attached Thumbnails
do you carry an acoustic Guitar?-gang-shreds.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 08-14-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

For a guitar player thinking about ukeleles: Baritone Ukes are strung DGBE, meaning they are the same as the 4 higher strings on a standard guitar and some chords from guitar can be used on them. They are great for strumming and playing rhythym, and much easier to play lead on than a soprano or tenor. Mine cost about $70 with a gig bag.
I'm a bass player by trade though, so YMMV! My guitar playing is very rudimentary and almost entirely chord strumming... often power and bar chords