Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

I would not go sailing without a guitar. We bring one even on week long canoe camping trips. Garbage bag for rain.

A few years ago I bought an inexpensive but amazingly decent (used) guitar to bring on our tiny Victoria 18 for a week of camping on Moosehead Lake. No case, we needed every 1/4 inch of room! That cheap used guitar beat the socks off so called travel guitars that I've owned or tried.

I've since gone back to bringing a nice handmade with solid tone woods, no plywood. I want (and need) the better sound. Life is short.

I sail for enjoyment - not pay, and I play guitar for enjoyment. Really nice sounding guitars have a feeling to the sound that greatly increases my enjoyment. Some rare nylon string guitars have a good sound as well, with less tension than steel strings. They seem to react to temperature more than humidity. I call them "rubber" guitars, no offense I hope, and I have one I enjoy, I just can't get quite the snappy rhythm out of it as I can with steel strings. Excellent for noodling around on though.

My experience agrees with Bob Perry, it's lack of moisture that hurts. Here in Maine a heated house in the winter is much drier than even the desert, so I take precautions to keep up the humidity.

Back in the 70's I purchased (with help from a pro musician) a handmade solid wood guitar which has never been indoors since I got it. I kept it in a tipi, and now in my boathouse. Not even bitter cold (way below zero F.) has hurt it. BUT, there are no wild temperature swings like you get going in and out of heated buildings. Of course, I don't let the open fire shine on it, that cracked my sister's guitar with a big BANG! Don't let the sun shine on the case where you store it.

I find that when I buy a new guitar, it changes after a bit of outdoor experience, shifting somewhat. I've always worked on it myself, being too far from luthiers. Lowering or raising the nut or bridge, adjusting the torsion bar, just using my judgment of what needs to be done. Then once it settles down it remains stable, with a slight seasonal change. I have good hardshell cases for most of my guitars - all the good ones.

I use elixir strings, they really do last longer. And while my steel string guitars seem to stay in tune really well (especially the one that never comes inside) I still fine tune the strings at the start of each session, I want the harmonics accurate and true A 440 concert pitch.

I have not (yet) taken on the boat my best guitar, with the label signed by Chris Martin and autographed by Merle Haggard.

This summer someone nearby sat on his deck, leaned against the cabin, and played acoustic guitar while we were anchored out at one of the uninhabited Maine islands. Very nice, beat the heck out of people blasting tiresome radios.
Ranthra likes this.

Last edited by skygazer; 10-17-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Thanks Sky. I'd love to see that Merle autographed guitar some day. Better schedule a trip to the beach shack soon. We can pick and grin.

I'm 67 years old.
But I feel 87.

I have played since I was 14. That's 53 years. I play Ok.
But I will not play an inferior sounding guitar."Mini" "baby" "weenie"
I don't want to play one of those. I play a jumbo Gibson. If they made a "super jumbo" I'd buy it. I did own a Gibson Super 400. Nice axe.

I won't live a lot more years but I'll be damned if I will play a "weenie" guitar, on a boat on an anything. A good axe is going to outlive me.

If you have "baby" guitar abilities maybe good that you keep the volume down with a weenie guitar. But I want a cannon. If I am sailing by myself with no one around. I want a cannon. I play pretty well and I want an axe that will respond to my efforts. " I've done my part,,,,now do yours."

This is a very personal thing. I am just letting you into my guitar world.
Attached Thumbnails
do you carry an acoustic Guitar?-bob-shreds.jpg  
Ranthra and skygazer like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 10-17-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Thanks Sky. I'd love to see that Merle autographed guitar some day. Better schedule a trip to the beach shack soon. We can pick and grin.
I'd love to visit, but the whole east coast west coast thing is too far for me to casually drop in. I'll definitely bring the Merle guitar if I do.

I agree with the cannon idea, good sound can be felt (in your center) as well as listened to. I suppose the sound waves actually press against your "stomach". I judge guitars by how the sound feels to me. After all, music is really about feeling when you come right down to it. That's one reason good singers are a pleasure, their voice control comes from their center, where deep feelings are felt, thus they can touch our centers.

I bought a so called "Martin travel guitar" when they first came out, but felt like I might as well put strings on a 2x4. Got rid of that real quick.

While writing this my wife told me I need to make a "winter to do" list to get ready for winter. She actually ordered me to put "hunting" on the list, said she needed a deer for the freezer. Hard to please!
Old 10-17-2013
grumpy old man

Sky:
I admit to poking the little guitars dogs with a stick last night just to rile them up. Fact is when I'm not playing nthe JS200 Gibson my axe of choice is a small Martin (not a mini-Martin) the OM-28 Eric Clapton model. It's quite a bit smaller than a Dreadnaught. It's a wonderful guitar.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-17-2013

Ranthra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I always take one of my best axes on board. I figure all of my guitars will outlive me.
That is a new perspective. I bought a cheaper laminate guitar to carry ob sailing trips, but I hate it. I now have a Martin Backpacker that I'm trying out. The size is convenient, but the size and shape is just odd.

Been considering a Luna Dolphin 3/4. Nice smaller size and the dolphins around the sound-hole are cool and "nautical".

Bob's advice might just be the way to go. More acoustics at home that I can find proper time for, and never enough sailing time either. Might as well combine the two and use 'em up now while I can enjoy them!
skygazer likes this.
Old 10-17-2013
1984 Bene First 35'

gbgreen59 is on a distinguished road

Before I read this thread, I was going to bring my solid wood guitars on board even if it was a bad idea. I was just going to do my best to ensure it was well kept. I'm not so worried about it now. I am passionate about my guitars and I play 10 or more hours each week. It has been exciting to hear this group to be not only into guitars, but most importantly, passionate about playing. Just like the ocean, it gets into your soul...the instrument, playing, and the artists that brought the music to us.
Ranthra likes this.

Last edited by gbgreen59; 10-17-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sky:
I admit to poking the little guitars dogs with a stick last night just to rile them up.
I wondered if that's what you were doing. You sounded like a powerboater.

"Moar power equalz Moar Gud!"
Old 10-17-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Those OM-28s are really nice, by the way. My favorite acoustic is based on a Martin OM plan. But I'm not taking it anywhere near my boat!
Old 10-17-2013
grumpy old man

I love that powerboat. Imagine the fuel consumption.

For me the choice of guitar is all about tone and action. I don't care about size. My Om-28 and my Gibson JS200 could not be more different in tone but I like each for it's own virtues.

I played a $245 Takamine Martin knock off the other day. I was amazed at the sound and quality of build avavailable at that money. I damn near bought it. Just really don't need another one.

I don't own a guitar I wouldn't take on the boat. I do not baby them. I use them.

Bob's Blog ....

The Following User Says Thank You to bobperry For This Useful Post:
gbgreen59 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013

Tim Newman is on a distinguished road

I've got a Martin D28 Marquis, bought it second hand when I arrived in Melbourne....that thing is as loud as hell, a right cannon. No way I'd take it on a boat though, I have a much cheaper Yamaha I use for camping trips and the like.