SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

24K views 122 replies 44 participants last post by  Rhett1321 
#1 ·
if so, what do you do to maintain the proper Humidity levels to ensure that it does not swell/shrink and have major issues?

#2 ·
I'd suggest that if you're very concerned about those types of things that you get yourself a less expensive guitar for the boat.

I've never noticed an issue, though we have only kept the guitar on board during the summer months. But I'm not a virtuoso and don't have expensive guitars...

#3 ·
Hi, I'm a member here, but my day job is in the music industry.

I work for a company that makes these... Among many other products. Not trying to advertise, but to help out.

Amazon.com: Planet Waves Humidipak Automatic Humidity Control System (For Guitar): Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XkpKL6G0L.@@AMEPARAM@@51XkpKL6G0L

Normally, you'll have to worry about humid conditions. It's best to keep your instrument in a case when you're not playing it, and try to control the environment in the case.

Humidipak will regulate in either direction. However, in dry conditions also use another moisture adding device like a Guitar Humidifier so the pak doesn't dry out.

If its really wet conditions, (above 70% day after day) use a "dried out" humidipak in your case which will absorb moisture.

Again, keeping the guitar in a case when not in use will really help. Also, go to your local shop and learn how to make a truss rod adjustment because the neck will move. It's perfectly normal, I adjust many of my instruments every year to get the action right. It's routine and if you can do basic boat maintenance you can do basic guitar maintenance. Wood moves with trends in humidity...

Finally, consider coated strings to minimize corrosion. This is vital on a boat. My company makes the EXP line of strings but there are others out there as well like Elixir.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I know Cruisingdad has a guitar on board, perhaps he wants to share his experience.

Good luck, keep playing...!!!

Craig
D'Addario and Co.

#21 ·
Hi, I'm a member here, but my day job is in the music industry.

I work for a company that makes these... Among many other products. Not trying to advertise, but to help out.

Amazon.com: Planet Waves Humidipak Automatic Humidity Control System (For Guitar): Musical Instruments

Normally, you'll have to worry about humid conditions. It's best to keep your instrument in a case when you're not playing it, and try to control the environment in the case.

Humidipak will regulate in either direction. However, in dry conditions also use another moisture adding device like a Guitar Humidifier so the pak doesn't dry out.

If its really wet conditions, (above 70% day after day) use a "dried out" humidipak in your case which will absorb moisture.

Again, keeping the guitar in a case when not in use will really help. Also, go to your local shop and learn how to make a truss rod adjustment because the neck will move. It's perfectly normal, I adjust many of my instruments every year to get the action right. It's routine and if you can do basic boat maintenance you can do basic guitar maintenance. Wood moves with trends in humidity...

Finally, consider coated strings to minimize corrosion. This is vital on a boat. My company makes the EXP line of strings but there are others out there as well like Elixir.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I know Cruisingdad has a guitar on board, perhaps he wants to share his experience.

Good luck, keep playing...!!!

Craig
D'Addario and Co.
I use D'Add EXP and they are awesome! It is the only string I will keep on my guitar permanently (though I use your cheaper D'adds when I break one). I have also noticed that they last longer from corrosion. For example, I broke an E a while back and the spares were all the non-coated D'adds. I played with that for a while but noticed within a few weeks the corrosion on the string where I pick. That string is now off and replaced with another EXP.

I am a bit miffed about the comments between the PNW and Florida. My experience is that the PNW is very dry - though it rains all the time. Weird, and doesn't make sense, but that was my experience. In fact, it was not unusual for us to put my sons Cello in the bathroom while he was showering to add some moisture to it before a concert. I was more concerned about keeping my guitar in PNW than in Florida! I have always been under the impression that moisture (not too much) is good for wood instruments and helps their voice. In fact, I have had people tell me that one of the worst places for wood instruments are places like Arizona where it is dry and hot.

The exact opposite is true in Florida where we have very high humidity... maybe too much and too much heat at times. SO, if I am not going to be playing the guitar for a long time, I loosen all the strings (just like if you were gong to take it on an airplane). I have had the neck on my Eastman warp about the tenth fret, but I think that was more an issue with the guitar than the environment.

I currentlty play a Taylor 814ce. It is one of the finest guitars I have played, with the exception of the 914ce which I like better and the Martin X(I forget which one, but comparable to the 914... not the GPCPA1). I am a huge Taylor fan - especially in this environment. The neck is fast and REPLACEABLE. The cases are very solid and tight. THis guitar has thousands of miles on it (especially adding in the airplane trips) and not a single issue. We live aboard and the guitar sits nicely beside my bed in its case. I do think that is the key: keeping it in a GOOD case. I do not use any moisture control... have not had to. We do have air conditioning on our boat, and when it is "too hot for the guitar" it is likely too hot for us. We will either be in a marina or running the generator. THat could be a long term issue though - as I generally play in the cockpit (lot of moisture) but keep it down below (dry when the AC is running). No problems yet though, and it has been here for almost a year.

Go price out the difference between replacing the neck on a Taylor versus a GIbson or Martin. Big difference. In fact, on some guitars, replacing the neck ends up being more than the guitar is worth. I found that out on my Takamine. THe Luthier I used also was not excited about replacing the neck on my Eastman, which I value around $500-$600.

I would not hesitate (and have not) taking my guitar on the boat. I love it and have had no problems with this guitar. I think it is a lot better for the guitar to sit on a boat and get used than it is for it to sit in storage and collect dust. Just keep an eye on your neck by pressing down on the 10th plus fret and making sure the height (action) stays consistent down the neck. A neck problem often shows itself early with a small decrease in the space or a buzzing on the E's.

Anyways, I am not an expert in this field. I only enjoy playing and lean on the advice of others for their opinions (luthiers). The only thing I might suggest is to use a really good (hard and tight) case and not a gig bag and keep an eye on your neck. OUtisde of that, jam away!

Brian

PS Love the Gison J150. That thing has a voice!!

#4 ·
My Guitar came with an Ameritage case with their humidity abatement system, but not sure if it will keep up with the extremes of humidity you get on a boat.

I have used D'addario Phosphor bronze true mediums for awhile now, and love them. I did not like the Elixer strings, they felt like something was on them. Do the D'addario coated strings feel better?

I am comfortable with Truss rod adjustment, as I had to do it when I went up to mediums from lights. Just curious about humidity and weather and their affects on strings and wood.

#5 ·
Hi VT,
I can't speak to Ameritage's humidity abatement system I'm not familiar with it. (I'm an operations guy really..) I agree with your gut feel that there will be some serious swings of humidity on a boat. Definitely get an "in case hygrometer" so you can keep track. Planet Waves (a division of my company) as well as others make them. There's not a company on earth that will tell you that their humidity control system is bullet proof. A boat is a tough environment for a wooden instrument, but many have done it. It's very important to check your instrument regularly.

I'm glad you like our strings. The EXP line as compared to the Elixir's are generally considered to be more natural sounding and feeling, however both strings are coated and will feel different than the PB Strings (EJ17 perhaps?) that you like. D'Addario coats the wrap wire before winding but uses the same design as what you're used to, while Elixir coats the string after winding. The material properties of the coatings are completely different. Elixir makes a good product, damn good, just different than ours. It's really a preference thing. They sound and feel different.

Happy to answer any more questions to the best of my ability.

Craig
D'Addario and Co.
Avid sailor and player on the water....!

#6 ·
I use EXP's on my electrics. Sadly, they will not go along on the boat. I'll try a set on the acoustics and see how they do.
Not all adjustments are via the truss rod; just as not all twinges in the guitar are not in the neck. Humidity and swelling; or lack of, can cause the top to expand/shrink and arch or pop the bridge. BTDT! ;)

I even went so far as to look into the composites. Seems that I can get a decent spruce top bear a dozen times over for the price. Only one close to realistic was the Asian Martin all-formica (high pressure laminate...yeah!) wit the lam neck for near $700...still too high$$ fr my tastes for a boat picker ;)

#7 ·
I carry my saxophones with me on my own boat, or usually one alto on deliveries. I keep them in the case with a bag of silica or rice if I don't have silica. That seems to work okay they are always wet when you put them up. captg

#8 ·
Sold a fellow boater who lives full time on his my Fender Acoustic with a very nice hard case. He opened up the case to play one day and the whole top of the guitar body and neck were wet. He moved it out to storage and brings it down to play. Shame.

I bring my Takamine acoustic down to the boat, but take it home, after hearing of the above.

I had a small electric travel guitar that I kept on the boat full time last year. It fared well for months, until one day I noticed the bridge starting to pop out of the body. Still need to fix her and bring her back down.

I would be willing to try out moisture prevention devices and media for the acoustic.

I do some of my best picking on the boat. :)

#10 ·
No problem with my acoustic guitar yet! I have the Cordoba C5 guitar and it is in it's gig bag... the guitar has never had a problem or issues with the neck or having to constantly retune and I've had it 9 months here in Seattle. I do put the guitar in a plastic bag and seal tight when I'm away from the boat for any period of time exceeding one week... other than that I think it's a non issue just don't bring your more 'fine' guitars into the boat... my biggest fear is banging the guitar against rails, seats, bulkheads, etc.... so far I haven't gotten a single dent or scratch due to it being in the boat so I'm very happy at this time.

Nick

#11 ·
Google "carbon fiber acoustic guitar" and see what you get.
I don't know specifically how good cf guitars are, but cf cellos are very good, can be played under water and take a beating with no discernable damage. Last weekend I watched a student play his cf cello for a professional ensemble and they did not realize that he was playing on a "plastic" instrument, even though one of them was on a cf cello. Most of the cf cellos sound like cellos, whereas the electric ones sound like synthesizer music.
As to price, cf guitars at <$2k are a really good deal. Cf cellos start at $7k, but then everything cello is more expensive, like $200 for one string!
ps. high humidity will eventualy take a toll on any wood instrument. The humidity will dampen the sound and the instrument will loose some of its brilliance.

#12 ·
Well, I guess I am going to try some of the humidity control things for in case, and perhaps try to find some for the boat in general. i only have one Guitar, a Santa Cruz cowboy singer, and I am not willing to let go of it when I move aboard, it just sounds too amazing.

We shall see how things go as time progresses.

#13 ·
From a professional guitarist: (Gibson J-150 acoustic electric big Dreadnought body: $3,000.00 acoustic guitar.
rule #1 for expensive acoustic guitars: 'Never leave them where a normal human being would feel uncomfortable' In other words...don't leave it in a hot trunk unless you yourself wouldn't mind sleeping in that hot trunk. Don't leave it outside in the garage when it is cold, etc.
Treat your guitar like a person when it comes to where it 'lives', (where you keep it or store it).
Now, the trick with keeping it on a boat is that the climate fluctuates so much especially regarding temperature. The industry does have some products that are good humidity issues but depending on where you sail there can be way too much humidity and in Florida/Tropics the temperature can get really hot.....so, it is a challenge but the posts from the D'Addario guy is real good. The challenge is not always the humidity it is the high (or low) temperatures.

Some ideas:
-wipe the guitar down after use ALWAYS
-keep it in a good, padded guitar case where it is packed in tight. Keep a gel pac in it if in the humid tropics.
-leave the most expensive guitar at home and just bring the cheaper ones on the boat so you don't have to be freaked out about your guitar getting ****** up. (which it will if you dont nurse it)
-bring a good tuner
-keep the guitar OUT of the salt air at ALL costs.
-Me, I love my Gibson but I would rather take a less expensive Takamine on the boat. I have a Guild that has been so abused I wouldnt care. But, if you have a really nice expensive acoustic guitar that you really care about.....beware of bringing it on any extended sail cruise...especially in hot weather. The heat on the day that you are at the pub enjoying the day will produce wood that is bent and warped and your guitar will be TOAST.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, I have no place on land to leave it, as I am not leaving anything behind. I am moving on to the boat to live aboard. I will have to be careful as to where I leave her, but the Guitar comes with me, and I guess we see what happens.

May have to have a Fan vented compartment to leave the case in or something, so it never gets too hot.

Going to be a learning experience, we will see how things go.

#16 ·
Forgot to mention when I leave the guitar in the gig bag I have a bag with cedar chips that I place in the sound hole to absorb the additional humidity in the PNW when I leave it unattended... in Savannah I would do the opposite by having cedar chips with some humidity that allows the guitar not to get too dry... a humidifier in the case works just as well.

#17 ·
I appreciate your promise to update us- I also am aganonizing because I REALLY want to bring my Gibson...so, whatever workd for you, brother musician, please pass it along because I know so many of us will appreciate it. Every problem has a solution so let's help eachother as musicians are a special breed and so are sailors...where there is a will there is a way!:D

#19 ·
I've been carrying my Morgan 6 string on various boats for months at a time for about 10 years. It lives in a hardshell case and the case stays out of direct sunlight. I don't use any type of humidity control system and have had no problems so far knock on wood.
Morgans are made in the Vancouver area so I figure it is used to moisture in its environs.
Elixir strings. She stays in tune well but I use a tuner anyway, primarily due to my lousy ears.

#20 ·
Im on the cheap guitar side of fence.... Doubt I would ever risk an expensive Tak or Gibson on any kind of enviro where it might get wet....sat on....crushed.... or whatever.. Fender makes a great acoustic for cheap that we keep on the boat for jam sessions....ya it sometimes lacks a full bodied sound but it keeps the fingers busy.....and people still sing along to it...... Was thinking of bringing my steel doboro for a trip..... worried about rust

#22 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I am planning on bringing my acoustic bass with me when I go out, but as I live in Florida I will need to invest in some gear to keep it dry! Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a new, fancy 'house bass' as my current relatively cheap acoustic will have to be demoted to 'boat bass' if I notice any changes to tone or playability... finally get that Thunderchief I've been lusting over but cant justify the expense of!

#23 ·
While I only keep my guitar on board when cruising (a few weeks at a time), I have found the Martin LXM (little Martin) has held up well. This is not the backpacker but more of a standard 3/4 sized guitar. It is made with a synthetic laminate body and neck and has so far been resistant to the humidity and salt air. Given the size, it sounds fantastic and I found I play it more than any other guitar I own. I am even thinking of installing a pickup for those open mic tiki bars!

The Admiral has recently found and purchased a ukulele for me. Talk about compact! I have got to say I love it and now pack it along to keep the Martin company....

LXM Little Martin Acoustic Guitar | SamAsh

#24 ·
I'm a lifelong guitarist owning several expensive Gibsons, Fenders and a Martin acoustic. I have never so much as entertained the thought of bringing these along to the boat no matter how short the stay. That said, I recently taught myself ukulele and love it! Ukes blend well into the sailing environment and can be more easily replaced than your other prized possessions and they keep the fingers limber...just a thought.

#25 ·
I've got a Blackbird carbon fiber travel guitar. Like all most travel guitars, it's size limits the low end performance; however, it sounds great and the action is really nice (not as easy to play as an electric, but not bad). It's so stable it can sit for weeks and still be in tune or at least real close. They hollow the neck to get more resonance I guess, and this seems to work. Highly recommended, no affiliation, just happy customer...from this not so good but enthusiastic guitarist.

#26 ·
I can tell you first hand that the marine environment is quite harsh on music gear - ALL MUSIC GEAR! The salt air tried to eat my arranger keyboard stand, my Quick-Loc folding stool, and everything else. I performed in the Florida Keys and all along the eastern seaboard using my Yamaha arranger keyboard, it continues to function perfectly, despite the horrendous conditions of extremely high humidity.

Now, I performed with a couple guitar players, one of which used a carbon fiber acoustic guitar that sounded incredible. He added a pickup, one that fit in the opening and was held in place with spring pressure. It never went out of tune, and the entire time he had it aboard his boat it never saw the inside of a case. I know it was not a low end guitar, but I cannot remember the brand name.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

#27 ·
I'm sure my Taylor acoustics would not survive for long on the boat. They have a very specific humidity range outside of which all bets are off. I built a smaller body, nylon stringed, modified (has a radiused fretboard)"classical" guitar especially to keep aboard. It has a Spanish foot type neck structure with a truss rod and is made from Red Cedar. I also built a strong case for it so it can be stowed without worry of crushing. It has been on the boat now for three years without warping or splitting and although it does not project like a full sized guitar, has a nice full resonance.

Attachments

#29 ·
Tenor ukulele. I keep it in its bag when not in use, but it is still difficult to keep in tune (much harder than its twin at home). Then again, the way I play keeping the uke in tune is probably not all that important.;)

Reactions: barefootnavigator
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.