SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   do you carry an acoustic Guitar? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/97876-do-you-carry-acoustic-guitar.html)

vikingthunder 03-25-2013 08:50 PM

do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

if so, what do you do to maintain the proper Humidity levels to ensure that it does not swell/shrink and have major issues?

Faster 03-25-2013 09:06 PM

Re: do you carry an acoustic Guitar?

I'd suggest that if you're very concerned about those types of things that you get yourself a less expensive guitar for the boat.

I've never noticed an issue, though we have only kept the guitar on board during the summer months. But I'm not a virtuoso and don't have expensive guitars...

craigtoo 03-25-2013 09:07 PM

Hi, I'm a member here, but my day job is in the music industry.

I work for a company that makes these... Among many other products. Not trying to advertise, but to help out.

Normally, you'll have to worry about humid conditions. It's best to keep your instrument in a case when you're not playing it, and try to control the environment in the case.

Humidipak will regulate in either direction. However, in dry conditions also use another moisture adding device like a Guitar Humidifier so the pak doesn't dry out.

If its really wet conditions, (above 70% day after day) use a "dried out" humidipak in your case which will absorb moisture.

Again, keeping the guitar in a case when not in use will really help. Also, go to your local shop and learn how to make a truss rod adjustment because the neck will move. It's perfectly normal, I adjust many of my instruments every year to get the action right. It's routine and if you can do basic boat maintenance you can do basic guitar maintenance. Wood moves with trends in humidity...

Finally, consider coated strings to minimize corrosion. This is vital on a boat. My company makes the EXP line of strings but there are others out there as well like Elixir.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I know Cruisingdad has a guitar on board, perhaps he wants to share his experience.

Good luck, keep playing...!!!

Craig
D'Addario and Co.

vikingthunder 03-25-2013 09:20 PM

My Guitar came with an Ameritage case with their humidity abatement system, but not sure if it will keep up with the extremes of humidity you get on a boat.

I have used D'addario Phosphor bronze true mediums for awhile now, and love them. I did not like the Elixer strings, they felt like something was on them. Do the D'addario coated strings feel better?

I am comfortable with Truss rod adjustment, as I had to do it when I went up to mediums from lights. Just curious about humidity and weather and their affects on strings and wood.

craigtoo 03-25-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingthunder (Post 1007765)
My Guitar came with an Ameritage case with their humidity abatement system, but not sure if it will keep up with the extremes of humidity you get on a boat.

I have used D'addario Phosphor bronze true mediums for awhile now, and love them. I did not like the Elixer strings, they felt like something was on them. Do the D'addario coated strings feel better?

I am comfortable with Truss rod adjustment, as I had to do it when I went up to mediums from lights. Just curious about humidity and weather and their affects on strings and wood.

Hi VT,
I can't speak to Ameritage's humidity abatement system I'm not familiar with it. (I'm an operations guy really..) I agree with your gut feel that there will be some serious swings of humidity on a boat. Definitely get an "in case hygrometer" so you can keep track. Planet Waves (a division of my company) as well as others make them. There's not a company on earth that will tell you that their humidity control system is bullet proof. A boat is a tough environment for a wooden instrument, but many have done it. It's very important to check your instrument regularly.

I'm glad you like our strings. The EXP line as compared to the Elixir's are generally considered to be more natural sounding and feeling, however both strings are coated and will feel different than the PB Strings (EJ17 perhaps?) that you like. D'Addario coats the wrap wire before winding but uses the same design as what you're used to, while Elixir coats the string after winding. The material properties of the coatings are completely different. Elixir makes a good product, damn good, just different than ours. It's really a preference thing. They sound and feel different.

Happy to answer any more questions to the best of my ability.

Craig
D'Addario and Co.
Avid sailor and player on the water....!

deltaten 03-25-2013 10:22 PM

I use EXP's on my electrics. Sadly, they will not go along on the boat. I'll try a set on the acoustics and see how they do.
Not all adjustments are via the truss rod; just as not all twinges in the guitar are not in the neck. Humidity and swelling; or lack of, can cause the top to expand/shrink and arch or pop the bridge. BTDT! ;)

I even went so far as to look into the composites. Seems that I can get a decent spruce top bear a dozen times over for the price. Only one close to realistic was the Asian Martin all-formica (high pressure laminate...yeah!) wit the lam neck for near $700...still too high$$ fr my tastes for a boat picker ;)

Capt. Gary Randall 03-25-2013 11:00 PM

I carry my saxophones with me on my own boat, or usually one alto on deliveries. I keep them in the case with a bag of silica or rice if I don't have silica. That seems to work okay they are always wet when you put them up. captg

carl762 03-28-2013 12:54 PM

Sold a fellow boater who lives full time on his my Fender Acoustic with a very nice hard case. He opened up the case to play one day and the whole top of the guitar body and neck were wet. He moved it out to storage and brings it down to play. Shame.

I bring my Takamine acoustic down to the boat, but take it home, after hearing of the above.

I had a small electric travel guitar that I kept on the boat full time last year. It fared well for months, until one day I noticed the bridge starting to pop out of the body. Still need to fix her and bring her back down.

I would be willing to try out moisture prevention devices and media for the acoustic.

I do some of my best picking on the boat. :)

PCP 03-28-2013 01:10 PM

Some do more than that: They are carried by a guitar:D

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...pscda9ffb5.jpg

guitarguy56 03-28-2013 01:31 PM

No problem with my acoustic guitar yet! I have the Cordoba C5 guitar and it is in it's gig bag... the guitar has never had a problem or issues with the neck or having to constantly retune and I've had it 9 months here in Seattle. I do put the guitar in a plastic bag and seal tight when I'm away from the boat for any period of time exceeding one week... other than that I think it's a non issue just don't bring your more 'fine' guitars into the boat... my biggest fear is banging the guitar against rails, seats, bulkheads, etc.... so far I haven't gotten a single dent or scratch due to it being in the boat so I'm very happy at this time.

Nick