I built a yacht tracking, blogging and weather system for cruisers - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013

sailfish is on a distinguished road
I built a yacht tracking, blogging and weather system for cruisers

HI All,

My wife and I finished our first cruise of the pacific last year and while she went straight back to work (her old job) I unfortunately had to resign before we left and haven't found work since. So being an unemployed web developer I thought I would help out Gulf harbor radio here in nz and build a yacht tracking system primarily for their weather service they do, but that also does remote position based blogging, diving locations, snorkeling locations and walking tracks.

Just gone live -> Welcome to Yachts in Transit | Yachts in Transit

Get the email addresses from the YIT help page, they are getting blocked by the forum here due to being a new member.

Its completely free and I built it for us cruisers to check in to the weather net (everything is via email) with their position and current weather. This allows the gulf harbor radio to have a list of boats, their weather and positions and groupings of those positions to come to them. It also allows people to upload their favorite diving, snorkeling and walking locations so others know where they are and can enjoy. Like Bird Island on Wallace!

Give it a try, get diving and snorkeling sites within 50 miles of vavau tonga. Send an email in with no subject and the following body to the get email address for yit.co.nz, and the cool thing is you don't even need to be registered for getting stuff out of the system.

[position]18 39.362S 173 58.892W
[diving]50
[snorkeling]50

or get some weather for tonga and / or the high seas.

use the get email address
no subject
[weather]
:tonga
:subtropic

to register all you need to do is
use the register email address
BOATNAME as subject
[register]
assword YOURPASSWORD
This is the description of my yacht, its a ketch, blue and is 12m long. .....

then to put a position in all you need is to send an email like this.

use the send email address
BOATNAME
[password] YOURPASSWORD
[position]18 39.362S 173 58.892W
[status] Arrived in vavau, tonga. Its very nice here. The people are friendly and welcoming.

This will appear on your yacht page. Any blogs or dive locations etc that are submitted will appear on the website and be available for other cruisers to pull down via email. Blogs within X number of miles are useful as well.

You can view all the commands from the help email or the help page on the website. An email with no subject or body to the help email address pulls back the complete system guide. You can view all these email addresses on the site, I can't post them yet as I'm just a new member.

The weather command has the added feature that you can request weather reports from other yachts within X number of miles from your position in the last 24hrs.

It would be nice to get feedback and feature requests. I've already had one for anchorages and so forth. My wife and I have only been cruising for one season and hopefully will get away again in a couple of years. This time we'll be able to easily blog our way round.

TODO list that is still being worked on located here: TODO List | Yachts in Transit
Facebook posting is a big one, so updates get pushed to your facebook and comments can come back to you via email if you wish.

cheers
Mike & Dani,
SV Mirabilis

Last edited by sailfish; 04-10-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013

Re: I built a yacht tracking, blogging and weather system for cruisers

Made a few changes today or I should say enhancements. I added propor icons for the locations and included nearby locations on the maps. Now you can scroll around the pacfic and view diving, snorkling and walking locations with ease. Will be uploading tonga this weekend to populate the site a little more.

The site was built for global so anyone can add locations for others to view or retrieve via email.

I'll be working on the facebook syncronisation next so status updates and blogs emailed in will get notified to facebook for friends and family.
Old 04-11-2013

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

Just found you thru google/cruisers forum . . . . looks good so far, I'll be watching to see what the experts say . . .
Old 04-11-2013

Hopefully the experts give it the thumbs up I showed a guy here and usually finds problems with ideas pretty quick and he said he thought it was quite cool so that was encouraging

Hopefully my wife an I get quite a bit of our trips top spots loaded before the cruisers hit the islands this year so they can pull it down when they are out and about. We should at least have NZ done before they get back or the new set of cruisers hit nz.
Old 04-13-2013

Couple of changes:

1) Added in anchorages, so you can add in anchorages that are either a must visit or think require mention. Its still recommended you use a guidebook for entry into these anchorages though. You can request them with the tag [anchorages] 100 which brings back all anchorages within 100 miles of your location and their description.

2) Added in a whole lot of locations around tonga, walking, diving, snorkeling including the Ha'apis and Wallace as well.

3) Fixed a few issues with text wrapping on the listings, joined sentences and strange capitalisation from the import conversion to display process.
4) Fixed an image size issue in chrome on the listings. Should be much nicer to view now.

Still quite a bit in progress so there will be more updates as they happen.