Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Young cruisers

Work hard for many years building savings instead of spending on new cars and oversize homes. Not having kids also helps(sound like that is too late for you).

The last new car I bought was in 1989. Our only financial vice is mountain biking. I did buy new bikes in 2012 after our 13 year old bikes wore out. But I justify this because biking improves our health(when we are not crashing!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Let's face it, a lot of us here could probably make it financially, because we are rabid enough to sacrifice cars, homes, toys, etc. to make it work.

But what do you do if you have a sick family member? Put them in a home? When I was young I never envisioned taking care of my parents or in-laws.

Or what about a spouse that has supported you throughout, but gets cold feet as you get closer to The Big Day?

Do you just leave it all behind?
Old 07-12-2013

TheLostGirlsMom is on a distinguished road

I'm 34 and my husband is 41 and just moved aboard our boat. We have 2 girls ages 2 and 5. Our son 18 just graduated from highschool and will start college this fall. THAT was the big eyeopener for us to go now. My husband met my son when he was 5 and 13 years went by like that. We want to enjoy our lives and raise our girls ourselves, cruising makes that possible. Our son will stay at the house while we are away. We have no debt which makes it possible to go now. We leave this fall to sail down to Florida and then the next years who knows where the wind blows......
Old 07-12-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGirlsMom View Post
I'm 34 and my husband is 41 and just moved aboard our boat. We have 2 girls ages 2 and 5. Our son 18 just graduated from highschool and will start college this fall. THAT was the big eyeopener for us to go now. My husband met my son when he was 5 and 13 years went by like that. We want to enjoy our lives and raise our girls ourselves, cruising makes that possible. Our son will stay at the house while we are away. We have no debt which makes it possible to go now. We leave this fall to sail down to Florida and then the next years who knows where the wind blows......
Nice.

BTW, controlling debt is huge. It is amazing how much money you pi$$ away financing things like homes and cars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-12-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

We are 38 and 42 with 3 year old (two older children gone) and cruising. I left high school early, skipped college (accumulated no college debt), drove old cars, always lived below my means, generally avoided debt... but I did borrow for my boat.

Could have gone ten years earlier if I had not been setback by divorce. Got the right partner this time.
Old 07-12-2013

diverchick71 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to diverchick71

Just read "Living on the Margin" by Patrick Schulte of "Bumfuzzle" fame. He was successful in the markets at a young age so he had that advantage, but it's his smarts and attitude that keeps him and his family cruising. The book is about trading "slacker style" which wouldn't be for everyone. But what he TRULY brought home was how much we SPEND living and working. Add up your cars, insurance, meals out, work clothes, and then ridiculous US taxation rates for us hard-working wage earners. My boyfriend and I decided we spend about 60% of our income just to have that job. Then add everything else up. It really is the decision. I'm struggling with that as well. I'm in my 40's now, and didn't go when my kids were younger (We did go spend a couple years in Costa Rica) I'm looking at cruising now and my kids (high school and college age) say, "Man why didn't you do that when we were younger??"
Old 07-12-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I was 28 years old the first time I got on a sailboat that was going to do a circumnavigation, the boat belonged to a friend and there were four of us. We left Port Isabel, Texas and went South, as did the trip. I got off the boat in Qunitana Roo state in Mexico and found a ride back to Laredo. I went back to work and then again a few years later another opportunity to crew on a circumnavigation came up, I planned and then left my job and got on the boat. We cruised the coast all the way down to Brazil, and we would have come back North and crossed through the canal and gone to the Marquesas, but my friend who owned the boat lost his mother and father and one brother in a small plane crash. He and his wife got on a plane and flew home, while myself and two others brought the boat back to Texas. I went back to work, and things happened, and I have not gone back to sea, YET.

Last year I made a vow to myself, and I always keep those, that I would work this contract I am on right now to its end, and then I am selling the last of my crap and leaving. I got rid of my huge house already, several vehicles, and half of a business. The only reason I am not already on the boat is because I signed a contract, and I do not break my word, but the contract is up before this time next year and I will be gone when it is over.

I am saying all of this to say that no matter what your age is, the thing that is required to sail is to commit to sailing, well that and a boat. You can work out the details on fuel, food, and silly stuff like that once you set your mind to it.
Old 07-18-2013

SeaSalt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I retired from the Navy at 39, could have gone then but wasn't sailing at that point.
Now that I'm sailing and in my early 50's I'll be going soon.
Ahh..I think you even posted on a topic I made a while back about 20 year service in yhe Navy and being able to retire when I'm around 40..Still motivated to do that and start living aboard as soon as I retire..Did you do anymore working once you retired at 39 to this day?
Old 07-19-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Let's face it, a lot of us here could probably make it financially, because we are rabid enough to sacrifice cars, homes, toys, etc. to make it work.

But what do you do if you have a sick family member? Put them in a home? When I was young I never envisioned taking care of my parents or in-laws.

Or what about a spouse that has supported you throughout, but gets cold feet as you get closer to The Big Day?

Do you just leave it all behind?
Or, perhaps you go for a modified version of the dream. It's called "compromise" and unfortunately life is full of them. Maybe you stay coastal where you can be with the family when needed instead of ocean-crossing. Maybe you sail/cruise for 4-6 months each year, then go back to your house for the rest of the year. Maybe you start off living aboard in a marina where you have access to land supports (like a car, and a community) to acclimate the hesitant spouse. Living a scaled-back dream is far better than running that treadmill. Think of those obstacles as hurdles and not brick walls.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSalt View Post
Ahh..I think you even posted on a topic I made a while back about 20 year service in yhe Navy and being able to retire when I'm around 40..Still motivated to do that and start living aboard as soon as I retire..Did you do anymore working once you retired at 39 to this day?
I've worked as a data-demigod for the past 13 years (retired in 2000), good pay, spent most for a while catching up with the Jones. Then got the bug to cruise, downsized in 2009 and started the path to the thorny path.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.