Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
Young cruisers

Hey all,

Ok, so as a younger guy (33), I have been sailing for some time now, usually CA coastal, MS coastal and FL coastal for the last 20 years. I guess I have been pretty lucky in my life to have grown up around boats.

Anyway, to the point of this post:

I've been watching YouTube, and researching on here and other sailing posts and have a serious question. WTF do people in their 30s and 40s do that allows them to do things like circumnavigate and cross oceans? I mean I would like too as well, but I am not a trust fund baby, nor do I own apple stocks. I have a regular job (2 actually), and have a family that financially depends on me. WTF are people doing in youtube videos sailing 6 months around the pacific and everywhere else???

To no offense, it makes sense that older and retired people have the time and financial ability as they have "paid their dues" and kids are up and gone, but what about the young folks?

If you are in your 30s or 40s and live the cruising life, voyaging across oceans and stuff, please let me know what I am doing wrong! I have a great job (construction management and military reserve), with very good income, no debt, don't own too many expensive things that require I stick around....what am I not doing??

Maybe this was more a venting than a real question. Either way, spill the secrets and I will buy you some rum. Hahaha, if you are 21 of course. If you aren't 21 and you own a boat and sail around the world, I hate you...just kidding, i am just very jealous, and if we don't meet in Mexico or international waters, I cannot give you rum....

Keepin keepin on

Dube
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Young cruisers

It's just like a big construction project, a matter of making the commitment, then establishing an objective, then determining the budget, then reworking the objective to fit the available budget.
The only thing preventing you from leaving is you. if you have no debt, then you likely have a house that is either an income producing asset via rental income, or an asset that can be sold to fulfill your cruising budget.
Something to think about- if you and your spouse are typical, you spend $120/week eating out. lunch, dinner, coffees, snacks... if you just eliminated that expense, you have over $6k per year in "found income." If you make the commitment that you are going to take a "seabbatical" in five years, and made no other changes in your life, you would have a cruising kitty of over $30 K... enough to cruise comfortably for over 2 years, without having to liquidate any assets.
SimonV, tdw, MarkofSeaLife and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Woulda shoulda coulda famous words of the budding cruiser. You either downsize everything, get rid of all debt, sell the expensive toys (bike car and make do with a clunker) grab the dream by the throat and just do it. Friends of mine not long ago sold both there cars (his and hers) His paid for their mortgage for @18 months + income from rent for the unit. Hers bumped up the cruising fund. They where going to put some stuff in storage but found that was an added cost they did not need. So the unit is rented fully furnished, they gave or sold off their accumulated treasures (junk). They live in the marina where we are, and like us are waiting for the weather. If you have kids then that could be a little difficult depending on age.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 04-27-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

You are not doing anything wrong, you just have not made the decision to go. You make more then enough money, have the smarts, maybe the desire. what's really keeping you from going? I left at 37, out for the last 14 years, some offshore work to keep the dream alive.

If you want to go cruising, ask your self,

What are you willing to give up?
How hard will you work for it?

It's all right in front of you. Are you going to grab the brass ring or not?
SimonV likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 04-28-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

We are in our early 30's and we took a big chunk of 2011 off and went cruising up the Australian East Coast with our young daughter.

How???

We just made the decision to go. Once we had made the commitment, it become easier to make the changes we needed to turn our dream into a reality. By changing from' I wish we could', to 'we are going not matter what' things fell in place. We had some luck with timing, but we were not rolling in money and like you were suggesting it was hard. Even with giving up luxuries and sacrificing it was still hard. It would of been much easier not to have gone.

So umm what BJ said. But he said it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
It's just like a big construction project, a matter of making the commitment, then establishing an objective, then determining the budget, then reworking the objective to fit the available budget.
The only thing preventing you from leaving is you. if you have no debt, then you likely have a house that is either an income producing asset via rental income, or an asset that can be sold to fulfill your cruising budget.
Something to think about- if you and your spouse are typical, you spend $120/week eating out. lunch, dinner, coffees, snacks... if you just eliminated that expense, you have over $6k per year in "found income." If you make the commitment that you are going to take a "seabbatical" in five years, and made no other changes in your life, you would have a cruising kitty of over $30 K... enough to cruise comfortably for over 2 years, without having to liquidate any assets.
Only thing I would add is that we were realistic with expectations. We bought the boat we could afford and suited for our needs. We went without alot of mod cons. Also even though our initial intentions were for a couple of years around the Pacific, reality mean't that the kitty didn't stretch that far.

We are now back at work saving though for the next adventure.
SimonV, bljones and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Old 04-28-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

What BJ, Chall03 and Simon said... But also, in a more critical light, when you stop saying WTF and learn that you can do whatever you want if you work hard and goal set.

But to retire early, or take an extended sabbatical to go sailing means you have to work harder and save more than most other people. It's possible, but few have the tenacity to do it.

It's up to you and you alone.

All the best

Mark
SimonV and aeventyr60 like this.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 04-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2013

DubeJ is on a distinguished road

I think that you all are right. I have been reading a lot and thinking. I can't do it, because I am limiting myself due to other things I make a priority. I have decided to change...and with that, I am setting a realistic goal. I am excited and will keep this post alive by my future milestones....what milestones? Great question, I will let you know when I hit em!

aeventyr60, your signature hurt my feelings: "Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth" I've always been a proud dreamer...i climbed Mt Shasta summer and winter, I motorcycled across America, I've backpacked Europe (twice), I've spelunkered into volcanos on 3 continents....hell, I've even done Hash runs in Thailand. Where did I hang up my dreams and start thinking the BMW was more important than me. I am the inspiration to my daughter, what do I teach her? That BMWs are more important than dreams???? I am happy to make this change. Thanks for that signature, it has inspired me.
chall03, blowinstink and wingNwing like this.
Old 07-11-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

I'm 31, asking myself the same question! My answer, and what I am trying to create for myself, is a life where I work 2 jobs for six months of every year and no jobs for the other six months. I don't want to wait til I'm 60 to enjoy the cruising life, so by 35 I plan to be taking my retirement a little bit at a time, like ol' Travis McGee... even if I have to bust hump and pinch pennies for six months at a time!
Old 07-12-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I share. my sailing stories with about anyone who will listen, or is unfortunate enough to
be unable to escape!
The. most common comment is usually on the line of
"I wish I could do that " to which. I've taken to responding - you can,
you just may. need. to make a few choices. Choices. like staying home on Friday night when everyone
else is out "rewarding "themselves for another week of work. Or. choosing not to get the new -whatever.
It's. taken me about 6-7 years since we initially cast off,and we're still polishing our techniques to be able to continue the lifestyle we choose. It ain't always easy, and often friends and family don't understand why we won't go to places on weekend outings they miss the. bigger picture we see.Every $50 or $100 not spent frivolously, is another week or month we can live our dream.
So, you CAN, many just don't actually want to,do you?
Old 07-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I retired from the Navy at 39, could have gone then but wasn't sailing at that point.
Now that I'm sailing and in my early 50's I'll be going soon.