Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Cruiser

Good posts.

Agreement seems to be we are all qualified as cruisers. Some are live aboard cruisers, some are weekend cruisers, some are summer cruisers, some are global cruisers

Cruising isn't determined by length of trip, size of the boat, destinations, whether you work or not, how long you live on the boat, or how long you are out cruising. The qualifier seems to be the adjective before the cruiser word ( i.e. Caribbean cruiser, weekend cruiser, coastal cruiser, ICW cruiser. live aboard cruiser)

I especially like Paulo's post about cruising on land or sea ( or I guess even air in Minnie's case). Back when I graduated HS I land cruised the United States for 1 year....occasionally jumping on boxcars of trains. A cruise I will never forget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

For me it's simple. I'm a cruiser because I don't race. I don't race because my boat is a cruising type boat not suited for racing.
I don't live aboard because I can lay in my bed and look at my boat at the dock.
I'll be a live aboard when I lay in my bed and look at other boats at the dock.
I'll be a live aboard when the majority of my possessions are on the boat with me - and my mailing address is somewhere I've never owned, leased, or lived at.

I don't cruise my boat around the bay, I sail it around the bay.
Old 05-03-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I've yet to see an "answer" that explains why it matters. Nor why it deserves any thought.
T37Chef and wingNwing like this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
For me it's simple. I'm a cruiser because I don't race. I don't race because my boat is a cruising type boat not suited for racing.
I don't live aboard because I can lay in my bed and look at my boat at the dock.
I'll be a live aboard when I lay in my bed and look at other boats at the dock.
I'll be a live aboard when the majority of my possessions are on the boat with me - and my mailing address is somewhere I've never owned, leased, or lived at.

I don't cruise my boat around the bay, I sail it around the bay.
The suitability of the boat for racing or cruising is not relevant. I have cruised for many years in a traditional sailboat that was less suited for cruising than any offshore racing boat and I do not mean cruiser racer. It was a boat with a bare interior.

There are many that race in slow boats that cannot be further appart than a racing boat (that's why there is handicap racing), and others cruise in offshore racing boats. It is what you are doing with the boat that defines cruising not the type of boat you are using to do it.

You can sail all days of your live around the bay on a great cruising boat and still you are not cruising. You can coastal cruise along a shore in an open boat, pull it everyday to shore and sleep in a camp fire and you are cruising (and I know some that had done that).

Many racers, race their boat all year long,change sails and go out cruising with the family on vacations on the same boat they use to race. That's why someone "invented" the cruiser racers, or the word for it because they always existed. The racers while cruising are cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Two guys want to be in the V.I.s for the winter. They both start in Marion. One guy steps on his go fast with 3 deck apes and a professional captain. Meets his wife in Caneel Bay a few days later after she flies down. Other guy takes a month off from "real life". Bounces down the east coast with his bride. Has no other plans than being north of Va. until Nov1. Then decides if to take the jump or keep running coastal with the thorny path in mind.
Who is cruising?
There's a little bar graph on the bottom of boat reviews in a sailing rag we all know. Maybe there are boats more suitable for cruising or racing but the activity is all in our mind.
Again, the type of boat is not what define a cruiser, a cruiser cruises and some cruisers besides cruising race too and the opposite is also true.

Cruising in a sailboat has two components: Cruising and sailing.

Some prefer to travel and live with a lot of stuff while cruising and sailing a less fast and enjoyable boat, some like a simpler life while cruising and enjoy a fast sailing boat that puts a big smile on their faces.

A fast boat as a cruiser has not speed by itself as main objective (at least to me, even if my wife would disagree) but the increased pleasure of sailing a fast boat (and leave all behind) the pleasure of having the means to fine tune a boat and learn to sail better and most of all the possibility of sailing while a slower boat would have to be motoring. It has to do with sail pleasure while cruising. If you want maximum efficiency, speed and loading ability get a motor boat.

I am not saying your boat is not a nice cruising boat, I said already many times that I like it (even if it would not fit me) I am saying that cruising is something you do, with a boat or not and regarding a boat, the more efficient and fast way to do it is with a motorboat. Most of us chose a sailing boat because it can be cheaper but most of all because we like to sail. Some want to cruise in better sailingboats that are faster and sail with less wind, others want a better compromise between loading and sailing. There are sailing boats to all tastes and life styles and there are many tastes in what regards cruising.

Now, getting back to cruising. Cruising is cruising, some have boats designed for cruising and never cruise, other have race boats (not cruiser racers), race them and also use them for cruising. Cruising is something you do or not, regardless of the boat, car, bicycle or motorcycle and that you do with your own style and pleasure. Like in sailing, in what regards cruising with a vehicle, not all would chose the same type. There would have choices for all tastes, from 4 wheel drive to 2 seat roadsters to Caravans ending up on motorcycles and among these many types.

I can imagine a motorcycle cruiser that like to drive fast on secondary roads in the countryside using a light and powerful motorbike being pissed by a guy with a Goldwing that wants to convince him that his bike is not a cruising bike and that he should cruise on a proper cruising bike like his. I can imagine the guy that like to cruise on a fast bike suggesting him that he should buy a car.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-03-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I'm just going with "boat bum"

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-03-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

"aquatic traveler" "sunbird" "houseless but not homeless"

As long as we're keeping an annual slip lease somewhere, or coming back to the same place every summer, I don't really count what we do as open-ended cruising.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-03-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

In my heart I think of myself as a cruiser but in reality a weekend warrier who gets in a couple of mini cruises each year.

For mine the title is a mindset more than anything else.
JimMcGee likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-04-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

day sailors return to same dock daily.
cruisers repair in other places, preferably exotic
there are many types of cruiser...now this could get to being a lot of fun--wanna start that thread?

what do cruisers do between passages--they live aboard--yes there are many kinds and classifications of cruiser, as well as same with liveaboard.

general strokes do not cut it...lol

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-04-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Gig Harbor can seem exotic after a long day beating into a cold southerly by yourself.

I think TDW has it nailed. "I'm a cruiser because I think I am." That's good enough for me.

Hate to see this thread turn into "My cruise is longer than your cruise".

Bob's Blog ....

Old 05-05-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

My take on a cruiser, is one that lives permanently on their boat and has no fixed place of abode. Has no ties to an area where they are presently staying. Can move on without undue stress. Probably don't own a car or mode of transport that can not be easily bought aboard. At a minimum they can say yes to most of the former for 3 continual months or more.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic