Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Cruiser

My club members were having this discussion the other week/

So what's the definition in your opinion. What's the difference between a cruiser or a live aboard? Lots of people have different opinions,

What constitutes cruising?

Does a cruiser have to cover a certain amount of miles?

Does a cruiser have stay on the boat a certain % of time?

Is a person who travels the Chesapeake from top to bottom and goes to New England every year a cruiser?

Is a person who travels primarily the coast of Florida a cruiser?

Is a person who travels from the Chesapeake to Florida a cruiser?

Is a person who travels through the Caribbean a cruiser?

Is a person who travels between continents cruiser ?

Does a cruiser have to be a live aboard 100% of the time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Cruiser

A day sailor would be one that returns home each day. If you don't, what else would you be called?
zeehag likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

A live-aboard can never cruise and a cruiser is a liveaboard while cruising.

You can cruise on a motorcycle on a car, on an airplane or a in a boat. Cruising is an act meaning to be in motion with no other objective than enjoying life and discover new places and new peoples.

Cruising is different from voyaging, on a voyage you have an objective, arriving somewhere and in fact if that is made as fast as possible, a voyage can exclude cruising, for instance a non stop circumnavigation or an Atlantic crossing.

Cruisers don't travel in packs or go on organized touristic voyages (that's a touristic tour), they have an open schedule and do what pleases them according with their mood and with the positive interaction with people and places.

Cruisers are those that love cruising and that do that as much as they can.

Cruising is a way of life, even if life will not allow us to cruise all the time.

Obviously you can own a sailboat and not be a cruiser, you can live in one and not be a cruiser, you can even not own a sailboat and be a cruiser.

That's funny, I tried to see if my take was a personal one and look at the on line dictionaries and found out that we are doing some research work here:

The simply say that cruiser is a person that cruises

Regarding to cruise there are more useful meanings:

To sail or travel about, as for pleasure or reconnaissance.
To go or move along, especially in an unhurried or unconcerned fashion...

cruise - definition of cruise by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

to travel without destination or purpose
Cruise - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

to sail about on a pleasure trip.
to travel about without a particular purpose or destination.

Cruise | Define Cruise at Dictionary.com

sail about in an area without a precise destination, especially for pleasure
Definition of cruise in Oxford Dictionaries (British & World English)
Melrna likes this.

Old 05-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I think we can agree that cruising involves moving your boat, so a live-aboard is an exclusive issue. You can live-aboard and cruise or not cruise.

I've never heard of a soul referred to as a voyager.

I think cruisers are moving their boat, not returning home at the end of the day and don't care what you call them.
chef2sail likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2013

Woodvet is on a distinguished road

It matters little to not... I think of live-aboards as people solving a housing problem with a boating problem. Many harbors can't offer berths because of unseaworthy, unsavory and even shiftless people who have nothing better to do but pretend they have or are going to sea. Then there are veterans who know all too well whats out there and can't be bothered with it. Even so, they keep their boat in good nick just in case they ever do.
The world is filled with clubs and qualifications and frankly many of those aren't the kind you find paint under their fingernails or calluses on their hands. Plenty of pukes sail all day and have no love for the sea. I've even met mental and physical chaps who can't sail at all but are most worthy of attention. You can't pigeon hole people. Age, countries sailed and so just divides us up and there be too much of that already. Five sailors have six opinions so beware of all advise where ever you locate it and as far as a yarn goes, well,,, I think it's just part of the whole mystique of sailing.
Old 05-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

I've never heard of a soul referred to as a voyager.

I think cruisers are moving their boat, not returning home at the end of the day and don't care what you call them.
What would you call to a guy that loves to circumnavigate non stop or a guy that circumnavigates and only stops for provisions and diesel, taking in those stops only the needed time for that purpose: A cruiser?

I know of some guys that prefer that to "cruising". I would call it voyaging and those guys voyagers. Most cruisers voyage to go cruising and there are some voyagers that prefer the voyage to the cruising, some voyage a lot and cruise very little. Some cruise a lot and voyage less.

A voyager has an intent and a purpose, a cruiser has a much more open schedule.

Some (and there are many) use the boat as a second house, have it on a nice spot and go always with the boat to the same near by places to pass nice afternoons on anchor. Those are not also cruisers according to the way I see it.

Regards

Paulo
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-02-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Labels are so convenient.

How about this:
What would you call a guy who only sails between Seattle and Vancouver?
Answer: Pete

What would you call a guy who comes back in everyday before nighttime?
Answer: Arnold
poopdeckpappy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 05-02-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Sometimes you start out voyaging. "I need to get to such and such". But you end up cruising. "Oh wow this place is awesome. Lets see what it's like up the coast a bit". Shame work and weather get in the way or we all be cruising and be dudes in paradise.
Old 05-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

To me, liveaboard means the boat is your full-time home (like CruisingDad, AKA Bryan). Bryan is probably the perfect example of this, because he's both a liveaboard and a cruiser. I know others who live aboard, but never leave the dock (mostly power boaters); they aren't cruisers. Dave, I'd consider you a cruiser but not a liveaboard.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Labels are so convenient.

What would you call a guy who comes back in everyday before nighttime?
Answer: Arnold..
A daysailer. As you know there are a type of boats designed with that in mind and they are increasingly popular, at least in Europe and there are lot's of sailors doing that. I am sure Arnold is one of them

Regards

Paulo
zeehag likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2013 at 10:34 AM.