SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Maine and North (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/99148-maine-north.html)

AndreasNYC 05-04-2013 09:29 AM

Maine and North

Hello Everyone

Does anyone here have experience with cruising North from NYC?

I aspire to taking our boat far enough north to go see Walruses.

Are there any good harbors out ther, or is it mainly wild?

I hear good things about Maine, does anyone have experience with Nova Scotia and the islands up there?

Andreas

Mobnets 05-04-2013 09:49 AM

Re: Maine and North

Andreas:
You're going to have to go a bit further north than Nova Scotia and "the islands around there" to see a walrus in the wild. Actually quite a bit further north, as the range of the Atlantic walrus begins up around Baffin Bay. That's way way way North and about as wild as it gets.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Tempest 05-04-2013 09:56 AM

Hi Andreas,

Volumes have been written to respond to your question regarding Maine and Nova Scotia and beyond. A good place to start imho is with The Cruising Guide to the New England Coast by Duncan/Fenn and then A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast
by The Tafts. The former takes you as far as New Brunswick, I believe. Beyond that others may be familiar with other publications.

With the desire, all you really need is Time and a well found vessel...and head the pointy end North. I hope to do the same in about a year. I'll probably settle for Lobster instead Walrus. When do you plan on leaving?

AndreasNYC 05-04-2013 10:15 AM

I was planning to leave in about a year. Closing out the caribean season and want to do something different next time...

Thanks for the book recs I woll buy those...

I would love to hear from people who have had personla experiences out there.

Esp the far north. How livable is it? How bad do the seas get?

killarney_sailor 05-04-2013 11:07 AM

I have cruised as far as the south coast of Newfoundland and it is incredible but a long, long way from walruses. You can see many whales and once around the corner to the north side of the island ice bergs. You need to be very self-sufficient even in Newfoundland, let alone further north. There are villages with a few provisions and sometimes fuel but that is it. You can tie up at village docks and can anchor often in fairly deep locations. Wonderful and exciting cruising, but make sure you are confident in yourself and your boat.

downeast450 05-04-2013 11:25 AM

Andreas,

Would you settle for Grey Seals? Lots of those before you get to Newfoundland. Many other natural wonders, too. It would be an ambitious goal to sail with the walruses. It will be a wonderful trip.

Down

CalebD 05-04-2013 04:30 PM

There is a fairly recent book called "North to the Night" by Alvah Simon that is worth checking out. He spends the winter on his boat way, way up there and besides walrus he finds polar bears and Inuit.

The book is written well but the guy is a bit of a nut in my opinion.

They get seals out by Montauk and the rare gray or harbor seal in the Hudson. Walrus, not so much.

Also check out Peter Smith's blog about sailing to Antarctica: http://www.petersmith.net.nz/
Great photos of all the places they visited.

Have you already got a new boat?

AndreasNYC 05-04-2013 06:08 PM

I am on my boat now and so blessed with lots of spare time :)

The route from NYC to the entrance of hudso straight is 1900 NM My boat will cruise at 8 knots. So 2 weeks should do it...

I think I could settle for fur seals though. :)

The real question is weather. I dont mind cold but high wind and big waves and ice might be an issue.

Any ideas how long the suitable weather window is ? From when until when?

I did sail from Newport RI to the USVI this Febuary, we had 55 knot winds and 20 ft waves for a day or 2 . The distance is about 1300 NM and we did it in 9 days.

keep the info coming, and thanks for all the info. I will start reasing all the books when I get back from the USVI

Andreas

AndreasNYC 05-04-2013 07:24 PM

Btw walruses seem to be further south than baffin bay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:O...stribution.png

JeffreySiegel 05-04-2013 08:47 PM

I've lived on the coast of Maine for the last 21 years (although I've only been there for 3 months per year for the last 10 as we've been cruising south). I've given 4-5 seminars on cruising the Maine coast at different rendezvous and boat shows. If you have any questions or would like copies of my slides, I'd be happen to help.