SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   12v Fans......? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/99469-12v-fans.html)

F15EWSO 05-13-2013 02:37 PM

12v Fans......?

All,
tried two searches IRT "fans" and came up with no results in Gear&Mx or Crusiing/Liveaboards?

Last fall I grabbed a 12v clip on RV type fan from Wal-Mart and put it in the kitchen over the stove. Truth be told it is a noisy rattle box POS from China. Can anyone recommend a 12 volt fan for the bedrooms? As we return to the states I am building a list of summer must-haves for the east coast and fans for the rear cabin are big on my list. Would like 12v, quite, and good volume of air. Any recommendations? I was on amazon and there was a myriad of low cost items with the plug for the cigarette lighter (yes I could cut that of course) but was hoping for fans made for boats or RVs.

please help

Hank

mad_machine 05-13-2013 03:02 PM

Re: 12v Fans......?

last time I was in Westmarine they had a nice collection of 12v fans. I imagine defender and the rest probably have similar fans for sale

miatapaul 05-13-2013 05:18 PM

General recommendations seem to be for Caframo and Hella as for being quiet. There are a couple that are made by cruisers. Most of them seem to be larger computer fans (12 volt) that have a "teak" frame built around them, or some other frame/mounting mechanism. I think I would pick of one of the Caframo or hella's and perhaps stop by a computer shop to see if they have some inexpensive fans, that way you can play with the computer fans to see if you can mount them in a useful way. some of them have speed controls that can be wired into them.

Zanshin 05-13-2013 05:32 PM

I had 2-speed Hella fans on my previous boats and now have 3-speed Caframo fans and can heartily recommend the latter, they are excellent quality, low power drain and even lower noise factor.

blowinstink 05-13-2013 06:06 PM

These are nice: I draw way less power (like 1/10th the power) since I switched to them.

Zanshin 05-13-2013 06:25 PM

Those are the exact fans I have, the "Bora". But 10x less power compared to what, a 5-foot-diameter bladed shop fan? Seriously, unless they use some magical new technology, good fans versus run-of-the-mill fans will not show an order of magnitude difference in power consumption; it is a matter of physics to compute the energy needed to move a given volume or air a given speed or distance, so differences are going to be in fan shape and DC-drive efficiency and those are pretty old technologies where I'd be surprised to see a revolution.

blowinstink 05-13-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 1029597)
Those are the exact fans I have, the "Bora". But 10x less power compared to what, a 5-foot-diameter bladed shop fan? Seriously, unless they use some magical new technology, good fans versus run-of-the-mill fans will not show an order of magnitude difference in power consumption; it is a matter of physics to compute the energy needed to move a given volume or air a given speed or distance, so differences are going to be in fan shape and DC-drive efficiency and those are pretty old technologies where I'd be surprised to see a revolution.

I had a couple noisy old fans from the mid-1980's Arnd - you know the kind with the metal cages around them . . .. Good riddance!

Zanshin 05-13-2013 06:31 PM

OK, now I believe the 10x more efficient claim :)

JimMcGee 05-13-2013 07:06 PM

I've got a couple of 12v fans I picked up from West Marine a few years back. They have re-chargeable batteries so you have a choice of batteries or house bank.

They're not super quiet, but I find that to be a plus. The white noise from the fans tends to block out background noise from the marina if we're sleeping at the dock.

kentobin 05-13-2013 07:45 PM

My vote goes for the Caframo Sirocco Model 807 as it moves a lot of air and has been trouble free for 3 years now.

I also have two Caframo Bora Model 748 and they don't move any where near as much air so I ended up using the Bora in the forward berth where I don't like a lot of air movement when I'm sleeping and don't need it.

S/V Keith, 1978 Rafiki 37 ft cutter.