Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
12v Fans......?

All,
tried two searches IRT "fans" and came up with no results in Gear&Mx or Crusiing/Liveaboards?

Last fall I grabbed a 12v clip on RV type fan from Wal-Mart and put it in the kitchen over the stove. Truth be told it is a noisy rattle box POS from China. Can anyone recommend a 12 volt fan for the bedrooms? As we return to the states I am building a list of summer must-haves for the east coast and fans for the rear cabin are big on my list. Would like 12v, quite, and good volume of air. Any recommendations? I was on amazon and there was a myriad of low cost items with the plug for the cigarette lighter (yes I could cut that of course) but was hoping for fans made for boats or RVs.

please help

Hank
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: 12v Fans......?

last time I was in Westmarine they had a nice collection of 12v fans. I imagine defender and the rest probably have similar fans for sale

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

General recommendations seem to be for Caframo and Hella as for being quiet. There are a couple that are made by cruisers. Most of them seem to be larger computer fans (12 volt) that have a "teak" frame built around them, or some other frame/mounting mechanism. I think I would pick of one of the Caframo or hella's and perhaps stop by a computer shop to see if they have some inexpensive fans, that way you can play with the computer fans to see if you can mount them in a useful way. some of them have speed controls that can be wired into them.
Old 05-13-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I had 2-speed Hella fans on my previous boats and now have 3-speed Caframo fans and can heartily recommend the latter, they are excellent quality, low power drain and even lower noise factor.

Old 05-13-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

These are nice: I draw way less power (like 1/10th the power) since I switched to them.

Caframo Bora Model 748 White 12 Volt Marine Fan : Amazon.com : Automotive Caframo Bora Model 748 White 12 Volt Marine Fan : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 05-13-2013

Those are the exact fans I have, the "Bora". But 10x less power compared to what, a 5-foot-diameter bladed shop fan? Seriously, unless they use some magical new technology, good fans versus run-of-the-mill fans will not show an order of magnitude difference in power consumption; it is a matter of physics to compute the energy needed to move a given volume or air a given speed or distance, so differences are going to be in fan shape and DC-drive efficiency and those are pretty old technologies where I'd be surprised to see a revolution.

Old 05-13-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Those are the exact fans I have, the "Bora". But 10x less power compared to what, a 5-foot-diameter bladed shop fan? Seriously, unless they use some magical new technology, good fans versus run-of-the-mill fans will not show an order of magnitude difference in power consumption; it is a matter of physics to compute the energy needed to move a given volume or air a given speed or distance, so differences are going to be in fan shape and DC-drive efficiency and those are pretty old technologies where I'd be surprised to see a revolution.
I had a couple noisy old fans from the mid-1980's Arnd - you know the kind with the metal cages around them . . .. Good riddance!
Old 05-13-2013

OK, now I believe the 10x more efficient claim

Last edited by Zanshin; 05-13-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: learned how to correctly spell the word "believe"
Old 05-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple of 12v fans I picked up from West Marine a few years back. They have re-chargeable batteries so you have a choice of batteries or house bank.

They're not super quiet, but I find that to be a plus. The white noise from the fans tends to block out background noise from the marina if we're sleeping at the dock.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-13-2013

kentobin is on a distinguished road

My vote goes for the Caframo Sirocco Model 807 as it moves a lot of air and has been trouble free for 3 years now.

I also have two Caframo Bora Model 748 and they don't move any where near as much air so I ended up using the Bora in the forward berth where I don't like a lot of air movement when I'm sleeping and don't need it.

S/V Keith, 1978 Rafiki 37 ft cutter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.