SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Water purification (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/99473-water-purification.html)

Bellair 05-13-2013 04:47 PM

Water purification

We obtain our water from either dockside or by watermaker. What is the easiest way to purify the water for drinking? Considering UV system but concerned about the power demand.

outbound 05-13-2013 05:00 PM

Re: Water purification

go to an RV store ask about in line purification filters. Stick one in your tank feed and one on your sink faucet feed. They are also available in some Walmarts, Home depot, and Lowes. Make sure to buy a bunch of extra cartridges.

JimMcGee 05-13-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellair (Post 1029554)
We obtain our water from either dockside or by watermaker. What is the easiest way to purify the water for drinking? Considering UV system but concerned about the power demand.

Keep it simple.

Shock your system in the spring. I pour about a half cup of chlorine bleach in each tank, fill them with fresh water, pump them dry, then repeat with fresh water again. The first time you do this make sure you take the screens out of your faucets as you'll loosen up a lot of gunk.

All water going into my tanks or into my dockside water hookup goes through a ShurFlo filter with a hose attachment. They cost about $25 at the Camping World or $45 at WM. Replace it each spring when you commission the boat. When I fill the tanks I drop in a capfull of bleach in each tank (2 tanks, 50 gals total).

With this approach the water always tastes and smells good and we've never had any problems with contamination.

https://images3.campingworld.com/Cam...325/49168n.jpg

Minnewaska 05-13-2013 07:32 PM

A watermaker should provide perfectly good drinking water with no further filtering necessary.

Water from a dock is entirely dependent on the quality of the water. I also use one of coconut shell carbon filters, but they are really only good for removing things like chlorine or other bad tastes. They are nearly useless on bacteria, for example. That is not a concern for us, as our dock is supplied by municipally treated water. I'm more interested in getting the chlorine out. Still, we don't drink it, we only cook with it or shower and brush teeth.

If you're really concerned about bacteria, you can buy tablet to disinfect it, which I really dislike doing. You can also get a separate water filter pump, where you can purify the water that you intend to drink, rather than everything in the tank. These are sold in camping stores so that hikers can filter drinking water out of a dirty puddle. I've done it!

knothead 05-13-2013 08:08 PM

Water Filter FAQ - Questions About Berkey Water Filters

JimMcGee 05-13-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1029637)
Water from a dock is entirely dependent on the quality of the water. I also use one of coconut shell carbon filters, but they are really only good for removing things like chlorine or other bad tastes. They are nearly useless on bacteria, for example. That is not a concern for us, as our dock is supplied by municipally treated water. I'm more interested in getting the chlorine out. Still, we don't drink it, we only cook with it or shower and brush teeth.

Minne you got me thinking so I checked the ShurFlo site. They claim the filters Inhibit bacteria and Purifies Water filtering to 5 microns. These come with hose threads so they're definitely designed for city water, probably not up to travel out in the boonies; so far we've only been as far as the Chesapeake with ours. Not exactly exotic travel. :laugher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1029637)
Still, we don't drink it, we only cook with it or shower and brush teeth.

+1

Minnewaska 05-13-2013 09:16 PM

I'm sure 5 microns will catch some, but I believe is takes 0.1 microns to be highly effective for bacteria, but still ineffective at viruses. I think you have to get to 0.01 microns for viruses. The pumps/filters that do this don't push high volume.

Still, I also use the Shurflo, as I'm not that concerned over this. I would feel differently cruising in a third world country.

I wonder if those water treatment additives will kill bugs. They smell like chlorine to me. They do not say they will, so must not.

Bellair 05-15-2013 08:37 AM

Our main concern is not odour or taste as that has not been a problem We are concerned about contamination from bacterial,viral and other organisms from water sources which may not be adequately treated.

knothead 05-15-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellair (Post 1030467)
Our main concern is not odour or taste as that has not been a problem We are concerned about contamination from bacterial,viral and other organisms from water sources which may not be adequately treated.

Water Filter FAQ - Questions About Berkey Water Filters

Minnewaska 05-15-2013 12:45 PM

You can get one of the backpacking water filters I mentioned above to get the living creatures that are most common in giving you intenstinal issues and most bacteria. If you really want to get down through the viral spectrum, you probably needed to chlorinate, which is very bad for your tank, or drop other chemical purifiers.