Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009

mnw is on a distinguished road
Philschophoto,
Yes, it is a perfect boat for a couple or even four or more people. We are very impressed with the design of the 33 foot.....the v-berth has an area with a hanging locker and a storage cupboard across from it. The space between affords an area to stand and change clothes, with a sliding pocket door dividing it from the cabin. The unique walk thru head is a huge space saver and forms a companionway to the aft cabin when not being used. With the two doors closed when in use, it makes a spacious area for the head. The galley is larger than any we had seen in this size. Lots of storage below...less above but with a little creativity, it can be worked out. We searched for a long time for a sailboat with a stand up full aft cabin (the transom portholes we'd only seen on much bigger boats). Any boat with all the features we wanted was alot larger or the bed was mostly under the cockpit without much room. Also, on this forum someone mentioned about the engine compartment being unaccessable.......it is not a problem at all as it is accessable from all four sides. Maybe he or she was not aware that the cabinet beside the bed in the aft cabin slides off easily. That, with access on both sides (from the galley and the head) as well as under the ladder to the deck, the engine is wide open.
A Nantucket Island 33 sold about a year before we bought ours but it had teak decks and the flat ceiling in the aft cabin. We were just going to put an offer in when it was sold. We didn't expect another to come up for sale for a long time as there were so few around in North America but when this one came up with fiberglass decks, we had to jump on it. Anyone we've had on board can't believe it is only 33 feet - every inch is used very practically. It has a little higher freeboard with the flush deck but it does not seem to make any difference in handling and it makes lots more room on deck.
I don't know how many were built but it can't be many for the North American market. If you look at the ones available in Australia, they are quite different in the finishing inside. We really liked the traditional feel of the interior as well, nice teak. We have searched any available websites and haven't been able to find much on them. I was hoping someone would start an owners website.
Don't know if that helps much in your search for information, but hopefully someone will write in and supply both of us with some more. Where did you read Bob Perry's review? - I haven't seen it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm ready to stand corrected on this but I believe that most of the N33s in Oz were built by East Coast yachts up near Newcastle. That would explain the difference in interior fitout. Maybe later on they were imported from China cos I have seen differing levels of interior fitout. I'm thinking that the first of them were built for bare boat charter.

They are an amazing boat down below for a 33'er and they do sail remarkably well. Peter Cole was a damn fine designer. He was responsible for Gretel II which was the first challenger to take a race of the America's Cup post WWII and has designed a number of other highly regarded boats , both racing and cruising in Australia.

Personally I find the N33 to be a bit top heavy but that, and the lack of deck stowage is , as has been pointed out, the price you pay for all that space below decks.

Again from my experience they sail surprisingly well, though not at their best hard on the wind (surprise surprise). That said they are not as bad as some when it comes to windward work. Can be a bit wayward at anchor in a breeze.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-11-2009

candon is on a distinguished road
New Nan 38 owner

I bought a Nan 38 about two years ago and had my first sail with her this summmer. She needed a bit of work when purchased-so far it's been OK-and I'm just getting used to the sticker shock of marine paints, epoxies, hardware, engine and shaft parts. I have the original plans that came with brochure, sorry but no working drawings. If anyone needs them I'll send them along.
Old 01-02-2010

Starry Night is on a distinguished road
Nantucket Island 33

Hello:
I'm happy to discuss the Nantucket Island 33, being the proud owner of one since July 08'. We found the boat in Annapolis MD, and subsquesntly made numerous trips to repair and refurbish a boat that's well worth the effort/expence!
We eventually got launched in May of this year, and cruised the boat back home to NS Canada via the intercostal waterway and Gulf of Maine. This is a short trip compared to it's previous travels, as it has been from England through French canals to Paris and the Med, to the Greek Islands eventually doing a transatlantic crossing to the Carribean, up the eastern seaboard and inland to Lake Ontario. As if this wern't enough, it was then trucked to a lake in Texas, found it's way to the Gulf Coast, and around to the Chesapeak where we found it.
Mentioning it's history will pehaps give you an idea of how good a cruising design this 33" boat is. While not extremely close-winded,it sails very well off the wind with an easy, sea-kindly motion.
The layout and interior finish is what really sold me on the boat, with the best use of space I've seen on a boat of this size, and a beautiful solid teak interior. I operate a cruising school and my students find it an easy boat to sail, and comfortable to cruise on. If you want more detail, to see photos, or to join a course to sail the boat yourself go to Learn to Sail, Sailing Courses in Canada with Sou'Wester Adventures in Nova Scotia If you contact me through the site I can also send more info, previous listings on yachtworld, and the line drawings. We are also in contact with another owner in Kingston, ON. who is very pleased with his. Hope this is helpful, good luck in finding one!
Cheers
Eric Grant
Old 01-04-2010

Nantucket 33

Thanks Eric, for the info. I'm assuming your boat is the "Pisces Two"....I had the pictures printed off your website way back and in my file because it is very similiar to ours. Beautiful. Looks like the only difference in the interior is the upholstery. The exterior decks on ours are fiberglass - how are the teak decks holding up? Does yours have the raised rear deck affording more headroom in the aft cabin? ANY additional information would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get my hands on the actual blueprints. Do you know where we would look on the boat for a hull #? We cannot find any markings or #'s anywhere on ours. My e-mail is marci22@shaw.ca We are on the west coast (our boat is currently on the Sunshine Coast and we live in the Okanagan right now, about 5 hours away). We bought in Aug/Sept. last year in California and brought her up so have not had time to do any extensive sailing with her yet, just maintenance, repairs and short trips before she was put to bed for the winter.

Last edited by mnw; 01-04-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2010

Nantucket 33 review

Philschophoto,
Do you have a copy of the Bob Perry review? Can't find it on the net....... Thanks
Old 01-05-2010

nantucket33 is on a distinguished road
Aussie Nantucket 33

I own a Nantucket 33 and have for a number of years - at the moment she's getting a full rebuild and there isn't much that hasn't been replaced or rebuilt as it spent the first 18 years of its life doing charter work around the Whitsundays. Mine was built in Australia by Commdore Yachts and was built to the USL Code (as it was back in the 1980's). After its current rest on the hardstand she'll be heading around the top end of Australia and back around crossing to some of the closer Pacific Islands. I have made many changes to her - some noticable some not - she now has a hardtop over the cockpit and full covers, a full stern rail system carries davits, radar, wind generator, HF ant, BBQ, solar panels and instruments. If anyone would like photos or info let me know.
ps - she carries the name "Aussie Trekker"

Last edited by nantucket33; 01-19-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2010

Girlsailor44 is on a distinguished road
I would like info on NI38. I'm thinking of purchasing one. Any buying tips would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2010

candon is on a distinguished road
I bought an 86 Nan 38 several years ago and currently in the process of getting her ready for longer voyagers. There were several items that I wished I had known about about before purchase-only to include them in the final bid. Poor quality stainless, crack alum steering quadrant, leaky scuppers, inferior wiring, and other minor and major annoyances. Otherwise good sailing and liveaboard boat. carl
Old 05-01-2010

Starry Night is on a distinguished road
Hello Nantucket 33 owner "Aussie Trekker"
Would be interested in seeing photos of "Aussie Trekker", as I'm planning some similar changes to our boat. Photos of the cockpit hardtop, and dingy davits would be of particular interest. "Pisces Two", was I believe is an early model of the design, with teak decks, flush rear deck, and only three portlights per side. It was Taiwanese built by Ho-Shing, and shipped to England to be shown at the 1981 London boat show. it's really been around, and shows it in some respects, but is well worth the time and energy I'm putting into her. It's good to hear from other owners, as there are so few of them around, at least in eastern North America. Our email is sail@souwesteradventures.com . Thanks for whatever information and photos you can provide.
Eric

Last edited by Starry Night; 05-02-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typos