SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Nantucket Island 33? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/9948-nantucket-island-33-a.html)

mmccoy 06-20-2004 04:16 PM

Nantucket Island 33?

Sorry, I know this should go under ''Buying a Boat'' but for some reason I''m unable to access that forum.

Anyway, I think I may have just stumbled across my dream cruiser, a Peter Cole designed sloop rigged ''Nantucket Island 33''.

At least from the few pics I''ve seen on a brokers website it''s got just the length, hull/keel, layout, aft cabin, etc. I''ve been looking for. And (for me anyway) it''s got a galley & nav station to die for.

Problem is, I cannot find anything on the net about these boats.

Does anyone know anything about them? The good/bad, etc.?

Especially where I might can find out more info about them?

HHJ 06-28-2004 12:31 PM

Nantucket Island 33?

I have a friend who owns a Nantucket 33 who I race with, but the boat doesn''t sound like the one you''re describing. There''s no aft cabin, for one thing. It has two quarter berths and 4 sea berths amidships. There''s only storage and a pilot berth in the bow. The galley and nav station can best be described (in my opinion) as basic but functional. This boat is Dutch-built, somewhere around 1965 if I remember right, and built of aluminum. Does this sound like your boat?

mmccoy 06-29-2004 06:29 AM

Nantucket Island 33?

Nope.. definately a different boat.

This one is in Turkey but its got the best pics:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&amp ;checked_boats=1102725&slim=quick&

Although as I find out more it may not be the perfect cruiser for me after all.

HHJ 06-29-2004 09:41 AM

Nantucket Island 33?

Yeah, I see - nothing like it at all. I wonder if there''s a "Nantucket 33" and a "Nantucket Island 33"?

mmccoy 06-29-2004 02:09 PM

Nantucket Island 33?

Given your previous post almost certainly.

I''ve seen this boat listed both ways (so I''m not sure what it''s really called ;)

jgeissinger 06-30-2004 10:14 AM

Nantucket Island 33?

I went aboard a Nantucket 33 several years ago at a boat show in Newport Beach, CA. It was a (nearly) flush deck center cockpit design with a large interior for a 33 footer. I have never heard of the boat since, and know nothing of its sailing ability.

WHOOSH 07-01-2004 12:59 AM

Nantucket Island 33?

M:

Peter Cole (Aussie, I believe) designed two versions of the NI33 - 33'' and 38'' sloops. A very experienced Pacific vet I know bought one for Atlantic Coast-Islands cruising and, in general, has been very pleased with it (after perhaps 15 years of ownership). The underbody is more contemporary than most Taiwan-built boats of that era (which it is) and it boasts/suffers from the normal Taiwan-origin issues. Beyond those, the boat has a large interior volume at the expense of, I would expect, a relatively high center of gravity, a pretty exposed cockpit with low coamings (you can address this just as e.g. owners of Mason 43/44 owners do, but the stock cockpit looks uncomfy to me) and virtually no topside storage (where do you put the fenders and docklines?)...so it is a good illustration of how a boat''s benefits (comfy, functional living area down below) define its liabilities.

Personally, I liked the boat and could imagine addressing the liabilities...but that''s just my own reaction.

Jack

bwmcmahon 08-01-2004 11:18 PM

Nantucket Island 33?

I know that boat, I''ve been sailing one for 10 years. It really is a dream cruiser. I have info on the boat that I can share with you. I also have the contact addresses for a few owners.

webminer 08-03-2004 10:45 AM

Nantucket Island 33?

I have all the information on a Nantuckett 33 I had hull no.16 custom made and sailed it for 10 years. It is a great boat. I am not sure if it is still made. Contact me if you wish to get more information on it. I have all the original literature and drawings on it. You can reach me at agwells@mindspring.com

hemado 11-14-2004 03:37 AM

Nantucket Island 33?

I live on a nantucket island 38 and love it. drop me a note and I''ll give you all the info I''ve collected.