SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A question of Draft

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MarioG 
#1 ·
I am planning to spend this June looking for a 25-27 sloop in southern Florida. I plan to live aboard in the upper keys. Because I plan to live on the hook, my limited past experience down there tells me that many of the best spots to anchor are on the Florida bay side of the keys. Water depth is obviously a big concern. The question I'm putting out there is, just how shallow of a draft must I consider to be able to reasonably maneuver on the NW side of the keys. I know that a swing keel would be great, and I have had one before on an Oday 25' that I owned. But looking for a swing keel only, really limits my purchasing options. ANY input would be much appreciated.

#4 ·
Gemini 105. Catalina 250 or Hunter 26/260 both have swing keels (but are water-ballasted). Seaward makes raising keel boats. Lot depends on just how much you want to spend.

My boat draws 4 1/2' and I stay on the Gulf side and don't even try to get to some of the marinas.

#5 ·
Mebbe look out for a Beachcomber 25 ?? Only draw 18 inches board up. Have nearly headroom in cabin. Rather thoughtful interior layout. Trailerable if needed. Free standing mast/s, wishbone booms, roller sails and single line control.
IMHO..the ultimate gunk-holer.

#7 ·
I live and sail in that area with a 3 foot draft. I am alway's envious of the dudes with the Mac 25's and Catalinas with the 18 inch draft that can really creep up in the back country. If you don't plan to sail furthter south, and want to stay in the key's, a shoal draft really opens up 75% of the area that even I can't get to with my 3 foot draft.

#8 ·
Theres a Chrysler 26 forsale in St Augustine that is set up to be a live-aboard for 2k. Its not mine but I had one and with the room they have could have easily lived in the keys on it.

I can get you yhe info. if interested

#9 ·
Why the upper keys? Job?

You can grab a ball at marathon for 300/month. I am typing from there right now! Bathrooms, showers, workroom, common room with internet, bbq grills, and a damned community. Dont put down the importance of a community. 9am cruisers net abd hundreds of people to help and ask questions of. Wednesday and friday meet and greet and pot luck. Everything from west marine to publix is walkable.

Love key largo. Really do. Will be anchored off Rodriguez in a few day and waiting for a weather window to bimini as i dive jesus. But i would never make it my long term anchorage.

Now here is the million dollar question: have you ever lived aboard? ESP florida in the summer? Last night we saw 82 as our LOW with no wind. Shut down the boat and you fry. Open it up and the mosquito screens let in the no-seeums.

Aint like the magazines. A day like this is fine. A week and the tourists love it. Your life? Well, better be ready to man-up.

B

#10 ·
good to know on the price of mooring balls. I am intending on spending a month down there this winter. I will be trailering my boat down to Tampa where my Grandmother has a place and sailing down the west coast.

#11 ·
There is also alot of nice places to drop anchor if you don't want to set anywhere very long. It should take you a week to go from Tampa to Boot key with the nice places to stop along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.