Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: A life at sea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Well. It's obvious to me that your kids got their good looks from their mother.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Bah. (snicker)

Brian
jimgo likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Don't hurt him Daddy"

Well, I would say it is never to young to make a Vegan. I give them credit, it is just not my way. Instead I would teach them the way of the Inuit and many others, that the fish is giving his life to support ours, and that in turn we should thank him, and make his death as quick and painless as possible. Which is sometimes called "responsible" or "merciful" hunthing these days.

What I absolutely can't fathom is "catch and release" which to me sounds like "wound and abuse the fish for no prupose, torture and torment him in the capture, and then go throw him back to do it all over again."
Especially when you catch the same fish twice!

Most fish get the hook in their 'lip??' and not a big deal. Catfish do sometimes, but are just as happy to swallow it whole. Those are the ones that are tough to get out.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-16-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Brian,
Thanks for sharing these. You're "livin' the dream," and part of me is certainly envious of the life you're giving your kids. You're a real asset around here, thanks for being such a big part of what makes Sailnet so great.
That was very nice Jim. Thanks.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-16-2013

Frag is on a distinguished road

You are actually living my dream. I have kids and would seriously consider this ... But being separated complicate things ... A LOT.

Enjoy it man ...really enjoy it. I envy you.
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 08-16-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing that. Great to see the family.
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 08-21-2013

John33 is on a distinguished road

Great stuff, Brian. Thanks for sharing. We're just starting on our goal of cruising with our kids, and it's awesome to read about others already doing it.

- John
Old 08-22-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by John33 View Post
Great stuff, Brian. Thanks for sharing. We're just starting on our goal of cruising with our kids, and it's awesome to read about others already doing it.

- John
No worries John. Let me know if you have any questions of I can help.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-24-2013

Aver is on a distinguished road

This indeed is life (at sea)
Old 08-25-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Awesome Brian, you have given them an upbringing full of great memories that will last them a life time.
Cruisingdad likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 03-08-2014

Woodvet is on a distinguished road

I try to sell parents that the yacht clubs have sailing programs in the city but so far no one has done it. They don't understand what a great attitude builder sailing is.
You need friends to sail, so mean kids don't last at all. The closeness comes from team work and no one can demand it. Careful neglect or watching from afar makes a good parent a kid will come around.
The fatherless kids today are the ones who scoff at the law and any authority. Kids/ people need to know there are boundaries to life and nothing says it like a powerful ocean. The life of the city is more scary in my opinion. Once they know how to sail you can teach how to maintain the gear and the knowledge of what it costs will teach responsibility.
Good sailors learn to worry -bad one's scoff. The same is true of those learning about society. No person is an island. Who can say if environment makes the person but if it does - Sailing is one of the best teachers.
Short of the military, no other sport teaches what sailing can. You learn to measure up and , or who you can learn or lean on. Sailors are solid in that they will find a way, they have to.
A boat isn't a boat until you risk it to the water and the same can be said of children.