Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Canadian Credit cards to travel with

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
....I find it mildly astonishing that I can go to an ATM in Vanuatu or Lesotho and it will give me money from my account half way around the world.
Yet, so many cry bloody murder that the bank that owns the ATM wants to charge you a fee. I find paying to take money from a bank that doesn't even have my account to be the fee that makes the most sense. How much would you charge a stranger to give them money out of your wallet and then go to their bank to get it back. It is amazing. It wasn't all that long ago that each bank issued their own currency. If you got too far from home, no one would accept it.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Looks like Scotiabank it shall be .
christian.hess likes this.
Old 05-06-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yet, so many cry bloody murder that the bank that owns the ATM wants to charge you a fee. I find paying to take money from a bank that doesn't even have my account to be the fee that makes the most sense. How much would you charge a stranger to give them money out of your wallet and then go to their bank to get it back. It is amazing. It wasn't all that long ago that each bank issued their own currency. If you got too far from home, no one would accept it.

I have NO issue at all with atm fees

what I do have issue with is the undislcosed stuff that you later learn about...

I got so good with my bank wells fargo that when I travelled they automatically checked up on me...asking if indeed I had been out of the country, withdrawing x amounts etc...

sometimes though I would get a really extreme charge on both ends of the withdrawal

I wish I remember what country and what atm it was...

my point was that I search those banks and atms that have a good partnership with whatever bank it is I have back "home"

for example here in el salvador the best bank for me to withdraw money from was CITI bank

I did not get a fee back home, and I only had a 2.50 fee on citis atm

now if I went to other banks I could get as high as $10 fee and a charge back home

the most I ever got charged back home was $15 plus an atm fee of around $10 PLUS the currency exchange rate

meaning for $500 withdrawal say in an unknown atm in yemen or wherever, I would lose $25 right off the bat, then lose around 5-8% for the excahnge rate that went to the atm of said bank

so thats another 25 bucks or so...so you lose a lot

thats why its important to check on what banks worldwide are partners with your bank back home

you can save a lot of money and hassle

btw

a lot of atms simply deny you a withdrawal for some reason, if that happens once dont try and do it again and again...use another brand of bank atm...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.