Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014

crimpy999 is on a distinguished road
Cote D'Azur with children

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and new to sailing! Myself and my husband completed a competent crew a few years ago and my husband is completing his skipper course this year. We have wanted to do a sailing holiday for a few years now and have decided that this is the year and have rented a Bavaria 36 from Bormes les Mimosas in the Cote D'Azur in August this year for one week. Our children are 7 and 9 and feel they are a good age to take part and enjoy a holiday on the water.
Our plan is to sail between 2-4 hours a day with the focus on a relaxed experience for us all. I was hoping that some members may have been around this area of the med and may be able to suggest areas or itineraries, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, tips in general for sailing with children of this age and also any useful info on the area, such as good mooring points.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Cote D'Azur with children

The first day sail to Saint Tropez is 22 miles so more than the two hours you wanted. But from then on its not too bad at all.
Some of the marinas are quite cheap for that size boat, Cannes is a great one to say you have been to and i think its €40 but you cant book, i believe.
Villfrache next to Nice is free and a lovely village, beach and train to Monaco. Bus to Nice is ten minutes. But you might like to see how much the Nice marina is too. Government owned ones are cheap.

Dont believe people if they say you cant anchor anywhere. Just look at where the big boats have dropped and anchor there, leaving them plenty of swinging room.

Make sure you leave your ripped and faded T-shirts at home. Its France and everyone dresses superbly.

Cheaper food options are often a street back, but check out the waterfront resturants too, there may be a special or plate de jour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-27-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2014

paulk is on a distinguished road

Be ready for windless days. They can be deadly with bored, hot, cranky children. Looking through the binoculars for dolphins only lasts so long. Make sure the engine runs well! There were reports of jellyfish issues last summer - though perhaps not right where you're headed. Have sting remedies available for young swimmers, just in case. Two to four hours sounds about right, time-wise. Seeking out spots that have opportunities to meet other children - either by playing on the beach or by their rowing around in the dinghy - may be worthwhile. With the Med-moor stern-to setups in marinas, make sure the passarelle (gangplank) is well secured before the kids start scampering to & fro. Bon vent!
Old 02-05-2014

stagman is on a distinguished road

I once spent a full month in Nice living with a friend of mine when I was 14. Beautiful area. There is a local square that provided me with the best meal of my life- 20 euros for all you can eat muscles.

There were very few downsides. One is the aggressive population of migrants from north Africa. I did get mugged, and that was in a park in a rather posh area in broad daylight. Keep an eye on the kids, it would be a prime area for human trafficking. They could be on a boat to Africa and from there god knows where in the blink of an eye.

If your children happen to be male, it can be an interesting culture shock with nude beaches and whatnot. It certainly was for me. Without getting into too much detail there is a particularly embarrassing photo that found its way into my fathers hands of me talking to a very pretty topless Russian girl... I am sure I won't see that again until I decide to get married
Old 02-05-2014

stagman is on a distinguished road

Oh and I did endure the jellyfish at Monaco too... ^^+1
Old 02-10-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Villefranche is really nice. There is so much to do in the area, that I would think windless days is not a problem. Oh I am now so hungry for some Socca bread, be sure to get some in Nice, it is great stuff and cheap. The restaurants in Nice will be reasonable and very good. I spent two terms at the University of Nice, and really loved the area. I would love to live there again. I am glad to hear that some of the marinas are not too expensive as I want to cruse the area.
Old 03-05-2014

Ashley Gracile is on a distinguished road

cant wait to go

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.